U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,980,857 times

Advertisements

In reality, I'm terrible at accents and envious of people who can do that.

If I had that ability, I'd abuse it every chance I got.

I used to work with a lady who did a fantastic impression of Scotty on Star Trek. Whenever I was having a bad day, I'd ask her to speak like Scotty for the rest of the day for all work-related discussions.

It made everything better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,797,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
But WHY? Don't you think my made up words and accent would be entertainment enough?

If you could learn the words in German to "Springtime for Hitler" from "The Producers" I'm sure you'd be a hit. We did not have a great experience at that German restaurant (really just one waitress; wdidn't stick around long enough to eat), but I imagine any resident Germans in the area will know of it.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM

11,104 posts, read 15,601,533 times
Queen, there are a few German lunch clubs and meet ups in and around Hendersonville. I may have sent you a name or two before you moved, DM me if you want a contact name in that area. As Samoi said though, Haus Heidleberg seems to have slipped quality-wise in the past few years, not a popular place anymore. (You might also think about putting a blurb in some of the church newsletters in the vicinity.) The www.blueridgenow.com (Times-News) or www.citizenstimes.com (Asheville paper) may have public service free space for free ads about get together groups.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,466,637 times
thanks everyone ! of course I know of all the authentic german restaurants and of course they are not all authentic, lol
we went to haus heidelberg 3 years ago and it was ok. good enough after not being to germany in two years
quilterchick, I sent you a message.

I actually opened a facebook group 'germans in WNC', started with 4 members four days ago, now we are already 8. actually that's all I need, haha. there is always one who knows another on ... one of this snow ball things.

I just came across two articles about germans and how they REALLY are. too funny, I cried tears. some is hilarious, some is embarrassing, some I am proud of and some is SO me, lol. I think they are very worth reading and after that you know how to handle a german much better

What I Know About Germans : uberlin

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how...-off-a-german/

please read and let me know what you think !

Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 PM

11,104 posts, read 15,601,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
thanks everyone ! of course I know of all the authentic german restaurants and of course they are not all authentic, lol
we went to haus heidelberg 3 years ago and it was ok. good enough after not being to germany in two years
quilterchick, I sent you a message.

I actually opened a facebook group 'germans in WNC', started with 4 members four days ago, now we are already 8. actually that's all I need, haha. there is always one who knows another on ... one of this snow ball things.

I just came across two articles about germans and how they REALLY are. too funny, I cried tears. some is hilarious, some is embarrassing, some I am proud of and some is SO me, lol. I think they are very worth reading and after that you know how to handle a german much better

What I Know About Germans : uberlin

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how...-off-a-german/

please read and let me know what you think !

Thanks for your msg. By now have you heard about the small German restaurant in Black Mountain? I've been there, but cannot remember the name of it. Many of their products are direct from Germany, love their bread !

Old 06-09-2012, 02:50 PM

I think it is berliner kindl. well, I have not been IN there, but mixing berliner kindl (that's a speciality drink from Berlin, very north), Edelweiss and the 'lederhosn' (leatherpants) which are popular in bavaria (at least that's what tourists think lol) - very south ... is such an awful combination of all stereotypes .. i did not dare to walk in yet

Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM

here is an overview regarding german restaurants in all the different states Deutsche Restaurants in den USA | Deutsche in den USA

Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,797,167 times
If we buy a second home in the area maybe we'll meet with you. My wife's grandparents on her mother's side, and my great-grandparents on my father's side, were from Germany. My side from Essen, I think hers from the north.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM

150 posts, read 106,543 times
I'm a "little" late in my response but better late than never as say say.
I was born and raised in Germany and now live about an hour away from Asheville near Blowing Rock.
My husband and I do drive to Asheville a few times a year since I got my art work on display at
one of the galleries at the Grove Arcade. How long have you been here?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:07 PM

funny, i have my artwork at the Grove park Inn (gallery of the mountains) as well (in fact, i need to go there again and restock!) what are you selling?

we moved to Asheville exactly 4 years ago (we live in S. asheville, 15 min. from downtown - 45 minutes between 5 and 7pm ).
we moved to the states 14 years ago. and will move back as soon as Trump has been elected.

check out our facebook page (germans in western north carolina), we are about to plan another meet up some time soon.

bis dann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or