Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 31,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Charlotte NC and Winston Salem NC are not in western NC. There is no Amtrak service IN western NC.
Oh my. Is my face red! If you were an Amtrak fan you would know that Charlotte and Wiston-Salem are closer to towns in West North Carolina than 99% of of the towns in the nation are close to a station. I was only trying to be helpful. and I really do not understand your compulsion to be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
No compulsion at all to be "right". Have lived in western NC for several years, and gave an honest reply to the original poster's inquiry from first hand knowledge of the roads, and working as a Realtor with hundreds of buyers relocating to western NC. Rutherfordton does not "fit the bill" for reasonable proximity to an airport or Amtrak.

For example, Hendersonville to Winston Salem is the better part of a 3 hr. drive. Charlotte, about a 2 hr. drive. Rutherfordton has many winding two lane roads before you can get to the interstate and it's no picnic to get to Charlotte from Rutherfordton. Add to that a reasonable cushion of time for traffic and/or weather delays etc. and it doesn't make for an easy commute. Any airport in western NC, depending on your destination, will usually require a connection. It's important for the folks not to waste their precious area search time in areas that don't meet their criteria, but to direct them to what they believe they want. Many also change their criteria once they get there and see the road situations for themselves.

Quoting the OP, he/she wants the following:

"Proximity to a nearby city with an airport and/or Amtrack is important also. Does Rutherfordton fit the bill? It seems too good to be true."

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 31,372 times
Quote:
Charlotte NC and Winston Salem NC are not in western NC. There is no Amtrak service IN western NC.
Let's put it this way: if Teachergr4 is an Amtrak fan she will know what I meant. If not, being a teacher, it can be safely assumed that she can figure out on her own, that the info was not applicable to her needs, and I am sure she can read a map.It is just that Your posting comes across to me as being somewhat curt. BTW: thank you for the private message offering the help of your former real estate partner in selling me a house if I decided to settle in the Weaverville area. As my thread above seems to have reached its end, I will be leaving the board. I have to get ready to spend time in Western NC during the 4th long weekend. Have a wonderful day.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,183 times
minus the Amtrak --you may want to consider Lake James/Morganton. It has a bit bigger population but nice downtown with a square and you can maybe bike to everything but the grocery store from downtown.

Morganton has fairly good local productions for shows and smaller touring broadway type shows..
Welcome to Downtown Morganton,com! The Official Website of the City of Morganton Main Street Office.

Welcome to CoMMA! "25 Years and Still Lovin' it" - www.commaonline.org

they also have a nice bike greenway and a decent small hospital but for anything major medical I would still defer to Charlotte, Winston or Asheville.

I can't picture any of the downtowns in this vicinity with all of the amenities you would like...

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Jeesh, I can think of several Western NC towns that fit the OP's general wants/needs...no dis, but I dunno how Rutherfordton came up on the OP's top of the list.
And, without knowing more of the OP's situ, it is like any of us offering up a few options from a Chinese restaurant menu, imo.

OP: on the Western NC Forum...upper right hand side tab, "Search This Forum": type in some town place names or topics, and see what Threads come up for your reading perusal.
GL, mD

Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
[quote=QuilterChick;24924564] Rutherfordton does not "fit the bill" for reasonable proximity to an airport or Amtrak.

Reasonable proximity is a subjective term.

A trip from Rutherfordton to the Amtrak station in Charlotte would be about 1:45-2hours tops. There is an Amtrak station in Spartanburg,(45 mins?) which is even closer

Charlotte, about a 2 hr. drive. Rutherfordton has many winding two lane roads before you can get to the interstate and it's no picnic to get to Charlotte from Rutherfordton.

Obviously you have never driven from R-ton to Charlotte. Highway 74 is a divided 2 lane highway from Central High Hill to I 85 in King Mountain.

Add to that a reasonable cushion of time for traffic and/or weather delays etc. and it doesn't make for an easy commute.

I basically commuted from the mountains of Rutherford Co for 4+ years. My 96 mile commute never exceeded 2 hours to Central Charlotte. Another friend commuted from Forest City to the airport for 7 years. We rarely experienced traffic delays that resulted in regret about living in Rutherford County.

Any airport in western NC, depending on your destination, will usually require a connection. It's important for the folks not to waste their precious area search time in areas that don't meet their criteria, but to direct them to what they believe they want. Many also change their criteria once they get there and see the road situations for themselves.

From Rutherfordton to the Asheville airport is close to the same distance as Charlotte. Charlotte airport is on the Southeast side of Charlotte and about 1:30 hours. The great thing about Charlotte is a non stop flight to almost every major city in the USA + a great selection of International flights. + there is more competition resulting in lower airfare.

So Teachergr4, pack your bags, hit the road and come on down! Obviously something about Rutherfordton has piqued your interest. Check it out and see if it meets your expectations. There is a reason why Rutherford County is called "Small Town Friendly"

Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,882 times
I'm from Rutherfordton originally. It's a great city for some people, but you have to be cut from a certain cloth to enjoy it. I certainly reccomend checking it out as it's certainly full of great people. Stop by the Shake Shop for me, and tell them O'Dell's grandaughter said hello.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 AM

126 posts, read 295,977 times
THE WILKESBORO'S!
Both have everything you described although the area can get pretty busy at times.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
[quote=CRock;24948067]
Quote:
Rutherfordton does not "fit the bill" for reasonable proximity to an airport or Amtrak.

Reasonable proximity is a subjective term.

A trip from Rutherfordton to the Amtrak station in Charlotte would be about 1:45-2hours tops. There is an Amtrak station in Spartanburg,(45 mins?) which is even closer

Charlotte, about a 2 hr. drive. Rutherfordton has many winding two lane roads before you can get to the interstate and it's no picnic to get to Charlotte from Rutherfordton.

Obviously you have never driven from R-ton to Charlotte. Highway 74 is a divided 2 lane highway from Central High Hill to I 85 in King Mountain.

Add to that a reasonable cushion of time for traffic and/or weather delays etc. and it doesn't make for an easy commute.

I basically commuted from the mountains of Rutherford Co for 4+ years. My 96 mile commute never exceeded 2 hours to Central Charlotte. Another friend commuted from Forest City to the airport for 7 years. We rarely experienced traffic delays that resulted in regret about living in Rutherford County.

Any airport in western NC, depending on your destination, will usually require a connection. It's important for the folks not to waste their precious area search time in areas that don't meet their criteria, but to direct them to what they believe they want. Many also change their criteria once they get there and see the road situations for themselves.

From Rutherfordton to the Asheville airport is close to the same distance as Charlotte. Charlotte airport is on the Southeast side of Charlotte and about 1:30 hours. The great thing about Charlotte is a non stop flight to almost every major city in the USA + a great selection of International flights. + there is more competition resulting in lower airfare.

So Teachergr4, pack your bags, hit the road and come on down! Obviously something about Rutherfordton has piqued your interest. Check it out and see if it meets your expectations. There is a reason why Rutherford County is called "Small Town Friendly"
I live in Kings Mountain. 3 Amtraks come through town in the middle of the night. I was going to say that the OP should look at Spartanburg & Gastonia as well as Charlotte concerning trains.

CLT is on the west side of Charlotte, not the SE side. NCDOT has plans for commuter trains from Charlotte to Gastonia to Kings Mountain to Shelby to Boiling Springs. There is no date projected for this, but nothing is happening until the Gateway station is built in Charlotte.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
No compulsion at all to be "right". Have lived in western NC for several years, and gave an honest reply to the original poster's inquiry from first hand knowledge of the roads, and working as a Realtor with hundreds of buyers relocating to western NC. Rutherfordton does not "fit the bill" for reasonable proximity to an airport or Amtrak.

For example, Hendersonville to Winston Salem is the better part of a 3 hr. drive. Charlotte, about a 2 hr. drive. Rutherfordton has many winding two lane roads before you can get to the interstate and it's no picnic to get to Charlotte from Rutherfordton. Add to that a reasonable cushion of time for traffic and/or weather delays etc. and it doesn't make for an easy commute. Any airport in western NC, depending on your destination, will usually require a connection. It's important for the folks not to waste their precious area search time in areas that don't meet their criteria, but to direct them to what they believe they want. Many also change their criteria once they get there and see the road situations for themselves.

Quoting the OP, he/she wants the following:

"Proximity to a nearby city with an airport and/or Amtrack is important also. Does Rutherfordton fit the bill? It seems too good to be true."
QuilterChick, you're dead-on about 74 Most of the day it's a mess in Shelby. There's a reason that NCDOT had planned to widen the bypass & build a 2nd bypass. That money was pulled to finish 485 in Charlotte, with several other Cleveland County projects. They had to rob Peter to pay Paul to reinstate the 2nd bypass becase that was included in an agreement with the paper company.

If Dalton is elected governor, the funds will be reinstated, If McCrory is elected, the money will continue to go to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina