Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,211,472 times

Advertisements

I really dreamed of a farmhouse (I never farmed) but I love the romance of a historic farm....nothing more American than that...imo! I looked at pics online of Asheville and eliminated it. I WANTED to live in the Country! I searched online for over 2 years and came up to look at a house. Yup, I found a house I loved online. I didn't like the house I flew up and rented a car to see. I worked w/ a GREAT Buyer's agent and she insisted on taking me to see a house that I never even circled in my wish list. OMG, pictures can be deceiving! I FELL IN LOVE! LSS...I made an offer the next day (lol, my friends advised me to leave my checkbook at home) That was in 2005. I have never been happier, what originally was to be a summer home is my permanent home. I read posts all the time...lol...I didn't know City Data existed when I bought my house...you REALLY have to ask yourself what is important to you. I grew up in NYC, the last thing I was looking for was a city, I wanted to experience the Country! I've changed since my youth. Nothing makes me happier than 'coming home' Imo...don't look for answers on a message board where nobody even knows you...look inside your heart! You'll know!

Last edited by LiveLoveLaugh; 07-12-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,372,292 times
It's so true that you can't always tell from the photos online.

I've rented four houses in the mountains and am looking for the fifth. Once, I found a house that looked spectacular online and in person it was dismal. Recently looked at a house that I didn't like online, but it looks nicer in person, especially the colors. And then sometimes the house looks exactly like the photos.

Go figure.

Some Realtors are bad with photos. They leave out the living room and kitchen, and give you a photo of the laundry room, or it looks like they were taken at night and everything is dark. I don't find the hunt very enjoyable.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM

729 posts, read 1,498,258 times
Mark Twain once said that the best writer of fiction was a real estate agent. My biggest pet peeve with any listing is lack of photos. The MLS now gives us 24 opportunities to show off a property. Granted, some little houses are so small that a few photos will do it but geez! You have the tools! Use them!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 AM

Also hate it when there are only photos of the exterior; a red flag that the interior is the gateway to hell.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM

729 posts, read 1,498,258 times
Or photos of the interior and not the exterior. Why? Is the area that bad? Or they mention a creek in the description but don't show a picture of it. Must not be much of one.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 AM

The house I bought was not even on my wish list, no one in their right mind would have bought it...lol...in the condition it was in. I was at a point in my life where I felt I couldn't fix a relationship but I sure could fix a house! Did it have great bones? NO, it was falling apart. I REALLY looked at what it could be when fixed and I was SOOOOO RIGHT! The setting is GORGEOUS, the house itself is a classic American saltbox farmhouse and I enjoyed every detail that had to be addressed by a wonderful Contractor. (down to the doorknobs, the chair rails, trim, etc) Hay, lol, maybe I'm a control freak but I LOVED creating and restoring this classic back to her original beauty and modernizing her! Listen to your heart when house hunting and I beleive you will find your dream home!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,436,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
The house I bought was not even on my wish list, no one in their right mind would have bought it...lol...in the condition it was in. I was at a point in my life where I felt I couldn't fix a relationship but I sure could fix a house! Did it have great bones? NO, it was falling apart. I REALLY looked at what it could be when fixed and I was SOOOOO RIGHT! The setting is GORGEOUS, the house itself is a classic American saltbox farmhouse and I enjoyed every detail that had to be addressed by a wonderful Contractor. (down to the doorknobs, the chair rails, trim, etc) Hay, lol, maybe I'm a control freak but I LOVED creating and restoring this classic back to her original beauty and modernizing her! Listen to your heart when house hunting and I beleive you will find your dream home!

Congratulations! you had vision and the tenacity to accomplish what you really wanted. It sounds lovely, fully restored, warm and homey is always a winner.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 PM

I started to say you'll know it when you see it, but really you'll know it when you FEEL it.

Those people who restore houses do the whole world a favor. They make the world more beautiful.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM

So true, Shooting Stars, when you feel it touch your soul, you KNOW it's right! I NEVER felt this way before and 7 years later, I feel it as strongly as ever!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,601,926 times
I agree about taking words online lightly. Most people dont have the same needs and beliefs as me. I think childhood experience can weight heavy to. If you consider long term duture and what u can do to a place u can be happy longterm and save money to. You cant judge an area or town until u go there and reflect a little. Conscious will let u know if its right or not. It helps to know exactly what you want also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina