Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 75,744 times

Advertisements

There are several auctions online for houses and or land in NC and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck in that respect?

There looks to be good deals out there, but it may be that there are a ton of vultures ready to claw at everything that comes their way. Just wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
I do not know about auctions but I would never buy land in the mountains that I had not walked myself foot by foot.

things are not the way they seem.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicus View Post
There are several auctions online for houses and or land in NC and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck in that respect?

There looks to be good deals out there, but it may be that there are a ton of vultures ready to claw at everything that comes their way. Just wondering

No way; the vultures are the ones trying to sell land online like snake oil salesmen. Always consult with an honest local surveyor to walk the land with you. They know what to look for simply by what is growing on it and under it, zoning etc., how much to pay for it, is it even buildable? Can you put a septic system on it, utilities, where to put a well. etc. Buying land is an entirely different ball of wax.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times
Many of those "vultures" you refer to are representing banks who want to unload foreclosed property. Be sure to do your "due diligence" on any purchase.

A friend in my town purchased a property online last year for $100,000! 8 bedrooms/7 bathrooms. She did an extensive remodel and is now the proprietor of a very busy B&B.

There are still deals to be had.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I noticed alot of land listed in these auctions remain available after the auction has occured. I think the homes are what people are interested in. I had good experience with a realtor after a couple bad ones who seem to prioritize buyers, i think its a good idea to contact down to earth realtors who sell that kind of thing n tell them to call if they have a listing like what you want.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
I've bought a few properties at auction (not in Asheville) but it taught me some things about the NC foreclosure process.

The most important is that that auction is not final. In most states, the winning bid is the end of it. But in NC, the courthouse will accept "upset bids" for 5% more than the highest bid for ten days beyond the aution date. If somebody files an upset, then the auction is extended for another ten days.

When things finally settle down, you pay the balance of your bid (5% was needed initially). No lenders will help with this financing because you're buying the property without title insurance from the trustee of the auction. You need to have all the money lined up beforehand to close n the property.

Oh, are there still people living there?? Well - you get to knock on the door and introduce yourself as the new owner. Then persude them to leave. If they don't, you'll need to start a summary ejectment (eviction) and get the sherrif involved. He comes with a locksmith a month or two later and orders the occupants out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina