U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2013, 01:02 PM
 
5,548 posts, read 7,212,802 times
Reputation: 11085

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Someone wiser than me once postulated that the primary cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations. I've found that to the case a lot more often than not.
and for awhile Asheville had a pretty good marketing machine coming out of the local government and chamber of commerce. drew a lot of people in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM
 
275 posts, read 344,330 times
Reputation: 304
Asheville is a beautiful and wonderful place to visit but I don't understand why people are so gung-ho to live there. It's not really like Portland. It actually has a much smaller population, the people are a lot more conservative, and you need a car to get around. And, as others have noted, Asheville's economy is not very diverse. At least Portland attracts a fair share of entrepreneurs. But as a vacation spot, Asheville is one of the best places in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:18 PM
 
111 posts, read 123,997 times
Reputation: 90
I am guessing that that is why I will like it...I am on permanent vacation!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM
 
111 posts, read 123,997 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Asheville is a beautiful and wonderful place to visit but I don't understand why people are so gung-ho to live there. It's not really like Portland. It actually has a much smaller population, the people are a lot more conservative, and you need a car to get around. And, as others have noted, Asheville's economy is not very diverse. At least Portland attracts a fair share of entrepreneurs. But as a vacation spot, Asheville is one of the best places in the country.
BTW they were not conservative enough to vote for Romney
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Western NC.
1,324 posts, read 2,209,536 times
Reputation: 1266
Asheville always reminded me more of Eugene, Oregon rather than Portland. But all 3 good places with beautiful scenery and eclectic bunch of residents. People watching one of my favorite Asheville activities!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Full Time Resident of City of Asheville
497 posts, read 857,800 times
Reputation: 689
I moved to the city of Asheville, not a small surrounding city, 4 months ago as Asheville is an oasis in the Red Sea of the surrounding region. One major distinction between Asheville and Portland is that Oregon as a state is liberal, whereas NC has decided to return to the Old South. Some on this forum will claim that a political climate makes no difference in looking for a place to live, but the progressive and liberal atmosphere in Asheville City is why it attracts and keeps its residents. It's why I moved here. On the other hand, there are major differences from Portland and Eugene, OR. Asheville is more tourism and retiree oriented than either city, as well as being smaller. Eugene has the U of OR. Mostly though, Asheville is unique to the Appalachain region that in TN, VA and WV is coal economy based. Hence, there the focus is "Obama's War on Coal". In SWVA, a guy at an oil change place wanted me to agree with him that President Obama was a muslim sent here to destroy the country. He was beyond livid when I rejected that position. In this SE region, Asheville City is as good as it gets. There are some similarities to New Orleans, where I grew up and lived for 30+ years. When people ask me why I moved to Asheville, my reply is that it is halfway between SWVA and New Orleans. I mean in sociopolitical environment, not mileage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH
470 posts, read 727,950 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
whereas NC has decided to return to the Old South
Not for long, I predict. Winds are changing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 08:08 AM
 
11 posts, read 11,359 times
Reputation: 31
Default Sticker Shock on Housing

Recent trips to explore Asheville and the surrounding areas due to my husband's dislike of long, cold, snowy New England winters left us underwhelmed. The mountains are beautiful but there is so much sprawl (strip malls and concrete) in all the surrounding areas, I found it depressing. Also the housing prices were pretty high for what you get. Which led us to look a little further south in the Greenville, SC area, Travelers Rest in particular. First glance Greenville really wowed us but all that sprawl! Better real estate prices but I just did not find it appealing despite TR having a lot of neat things going on in the town. I tried, I really tried to like the area and focus on the good things it had to offer: Furman University, proximity to the mountains, The Falls Park and Peace Center but my gut kept nagging me that this was not the place for me. And the biggest thing that really got me was the amount of violent crime. Read the Greenville news, every other day there is something involving guns or drunken driving. The realtors won't share this with you but I don't want to live in a place where burglary is accepted as the norm and "just lock your doors." Plus, politically, I'm not sure we would do that well being liberal leaning. I would only consider moving there after a trial rental period to see how we adjust. As one other person indicated, it gave me a greater appreciation for where I am living!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 12:35 PM
 
3,719 posts, read 1,675,953 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledogone View Post
Recent trips to explore Asheville and the surrounding areas due to my husband's dislike of long, cold, snowy New England winters left us underwhelmed. The mountains are beautiful but there is so much sprawl (strip malls and concrete) in all the surrounding areas, I found it depressing. Also the housing prices were pretty high for what you get. Which led us to look a little further south in the Greenville, SC area, Travelers Rest in particular. First glance Greenville really wowed us but all that sprawl! Better real estate prices but I just did not find it appealing despite TR having a lot of neat things going on in the town. I tried, I really tried to like the area and focus on the good things it had to offer: Furman University, proximity to the mountains, The Falls Park and Peace Center but my gut kept nagging me that this was not the place for me. And the biggest thing that really got me was the amount of violent crime. Read the Greenville news, every other day there is something involving guns or drunken driving. The realtors won't share this with you but I don't want to live in a place where burglary is accepted as the norm and "just lock your doors." Plus, politically, I'm not sure we would do that well being liberal leaning. I would only consider moving there after a trial rental period to see how we adjust. As one other person indicated, it gave me a greater appreciation for where I am living!
Did you check out Hendersonville/Flat Rock?; Hendersonville has a beautiful downtown. We did pretty much what you did before deciding on Flat Rock. Greenville has a very nice downtown, but that's about it IMO, and it is very conservative, relative to Asheville. The good thing about living in Hendersonville/Flat Rock is that you are convenient to both Asheville and Greenville without living there. While it is true, there are strip centers as you get closer to the interstate, the Hendersonville downtown area has a lot to offer and is quite unique in the way it was designed. Hendersonville is definitley more conservative, but there are some left leaning folks here as well. Housing is going to be relatively more expensive in western NC (we found it to be generally more expensive than SC); you can get some better prices the furthur out you go.

Last edited by Lizap; 11-22-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 01:23 PM
 
Location: OR
720 posts, read 1,163,407 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledogone View Post
Recent trips to explore Asheville and the surrounding areas due to my husband's dislike of long, cold, snowy New England winters left us underwhelmed. The mountains are beautiful but there is so much sprawl (strip malls and concrete) in all the surrounding areas, I found it depressing. Also the housing prices were pretty high for what you get. Which led us to look a little further south in the Greenville, SC area, Travelers Rest in particular. First glance Greenville really wowed us but all that sprawl! Better real estate prices but I just did not find it appealing despite TR having a lot of neat things going on in the town. I tried, I really tried to like the area and focus on the good things it had to offer: Furman University, proximity to the mountains, The Falls Park and Peace Center but my gut kept nagging me that this was not the place for me. And the biggest thing that really got me was the amount of violent crime. Read the Greenville news, every other day there is something involving guns or drunken driving. The realtors won't share this with you but I don't want to live in a place where burglary is accepted as the norm and "just lock your doors." Plus, politically, I'm not sure we would do that well being liberal leaning. I would only consider moving there after a trial rental period to see how we adjust. As one other person indicated, it gave me a greater appreciation for where I am living!
Just PM'd you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top