Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 AM

411 posts, read 614,560 times

Advertisements

OP, you're going into a tough field. I'm a massage therapist myself, and this area is already saturated with us (and there are new students coming out of the schools all the time). Be prepared to have multiple jobs, unless you are self-employed. My highest count was 7. Yes, I was on call at 7 establishments, and still had a tough time earning the wages of one full-time job. AND, I have 15 years of experience! The average number of jobs held by most therapists I know is 3. I now commute an hour and a half out of the area to find a steady job with decent pay. Wages used to be good in this field, but they have been cut drastically everywhere. For instance, at one local spa, our wages were cut from $40 per massage to $26, in what was to be a "temporary measure". This was 3 years ago. I wish you luck, and just want you to understand in advance that this is the norm so that you can keep your spirits up and not think that it's happening only to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
Working in organic foods and massgage therapy is "very Asheville" - and unfortunately those are easily saturated professions since the city draws like minded people. The kinds of jobs Asheville really has, like night clerking at hotels, security guarding, restaurant service, working as maids, aren't the jobs people people envison taking when they set out to move there.

To get around this, you have to use the "flake factor" to your advantage. Devleop reputations as reliable workers, who are versatile, that can do a little of anything. That's how part-timers get more hours. They "absorb" extra work over time by finding out what needs doing where they part-time, and offering to get involved in more aspects of the business.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 61,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to put you all in the category of not wanting to take "anything". I should have clarified, that is one of the reasons there are so many looking for jobs in the mountains.
Have you checked the areas within a proximity of Asheville? Hendersonville, Weaverville, Waynesville, Black Mountain ? This might be a useless question, but have you checked with the spa at the Grove Park Inn? or at the Biltmore Estate? the high end hotels etc., some high end B&B's ? The Biltmore Estate always has jobs available, they may not be what you and hub are looking for, but it's a foot in the door. Have you investigated physical therapy businesses as another way to do your massage therapy?
It's totally fine! I know there are many youngsters who come here because they think it's some sort of hippie mecca and then complain when they can't find work. I know that game all too well I was one of them years ago
The main reason I came here was that I got pregnant and we did not want to raise a child in Atlanta and we had friends here already

I haven't begun my search just yet because I am still in school but when I do I will be including all of the areas you mentioned. I know a lot of people go to massage school thinking that they come out making big bucks and I really don't have that expectation but I would like to at least make a liveable wage. And yes I am looking into PT options and also sports massage. I'm not really wanting to work at a "spa" because as you mentioned, thats usually the first "luxury" to go when someone wants to budget. I am trying to aim more for the neuromuscular and medical side of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But what has any of this got to do with Asheville? Jobs fall through, a woman tries to stiff your husband of his pay, friends stand you up? Surely there is no one like that in Atlanta.

I see your point. What is has to do with Asheville is that I have never dealt with this issue to the level that I have here. Sure, there are *******s everywhere and people who don't follow through with what they say, that is not exclusive to Asheville but never before have I experienced it on such a large scale. It's not that I am bitching and I'm sore I can't find a job because I've been in that spot before and it is apart of life- it's that there seems to be an attitude here that you should be willing to do whatever is asked of you for a little pay as possible.- For example Greenlife wanted my husband to work exclusively part time for only them and didn't bother calling him back after three interviews because he had another part time job( that wouldn't interfere with the GL position btw) he found this out by a supervisor who just so happened to come into his current work. The point of the post was to ask folks who have been here longer if this was just bad luck or if Asheville employers tend to not follow through because they have so many people trying to get one lousy job. What I am gathering from the responses is that this behavior is not uncommon in this city and that to me is really unfortunate because this place really is a "sanctuary" in the South and I just wish that the situation was a little different with say, liveable wages, and I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Another victum of the WNC economy here. Grew up there, went to UNCA, and tried for years to find a(ny) job that we could live off of. Ended up having to move to Greenville SC in order to survive. Its the lay of Asheville. They only want tourists and retirees there. I hope I can move back eventually as my husband is now able to work from home. I think the only way most can make it is to get lucky and land a rare good job or bring their jobs with them.

As for massage therapy....they are a dime a dozen in asheville which is why they pay is so low.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,963 times
Mule,

You said it. Great post that speaks very honestly about the current situation here. I love it here bit it's a real struggle.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
As far as employers not calling back, I've heard it's rampant EVERYWHERE in the U.S. In this economy there are far more job seekers than jobs and many employers have discarded the usual courtesies. I think they have so many applicants, they can't keep up.

That said, there is a flakiness that exists in the mountains. I don't know about employers, but service people are utterly lame about returning calls or even showing up. I've lived in the mountains for over 10 years and this is one aspect that's a constant. It's a real mystery.

It wouldn't surprise me if the local employers are the same.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
I never lived in asheville but to me it seems like a place that lacks what people expect in a city but also falls short of the reasonable cost of living you expect in western nc. But if u have money and want a quiet city and like mountains its good.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
As far as employers not calling back, I've heard it's rampant EVERYWHERE in the U.S. In this economy there are far more job seekers than jobs and many employers have discarded the usual courtesies. I think they have so many applicants, they can't keep up.

That said, there is a flakiness that exists in the mountains. I don't know about employers, but service people are utterly lame about returning calls or even showing up. I've lived in the mountains for over 10 years and this is one aspect that's a constant. It's a real mystery.

It wouldn't surprise me if the local employers are the same.

They're either out huntin' or fishin' ... true.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,564 times
if it was me, I would look at Greenville. Better job market, and the town puts Asheville to shame. It's alot nicer and way cleaner.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
if it was me, I would look at Greenville. Better job market, and the town puts Asheville to shame. It's alot nicer and way cleaner.

I would not agree on anything but the better job market. Once you step 5 feet outside of the downtown proper greenville is a dump. I can't see how anyone could say greenville "puts asheville to shame" when looking at both cities as a whole and not just downtowns. Sure greenville has a fancy downtown but thats it. To get anywhere else is a nightmare as the traffic sucks and everything is sprawl sprawl sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina