Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Progressive Town in Northwest NC?
Boone, NC 6 46.15%
Wilkesboro/North Wilkesboro, NC 7 53.85%
Elkin, NC 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,556,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Please explain your answer.
I think unless you define what You mean by progressive, the poll is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,485,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Here's a little hint--when you move to a new area--any new area, not just the South--you are the one who has to learn THEIR ways; it's not their burden to alter themselves to fit you.

In the South, "Sir" and "Ma'am" are signs of respect (for elders) taught to children from birth. It's unfathomable to me how someone could find it insulting to be addressed that way (and especially to prefer being called "guy"!). At the very least, use "y'all" ! Now, if the people are under 30, it might make more sense to be less formal, but in general, addressing customers who are older than you are has an expectation of some sort of term of respect (I also hate it when cashiers more than 5 years younger than me call my by my first name [from my credit card]).
Absolutely! Rep points to you!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM

126 posts, read 294,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Plus Darden's looking to set up an Olive Garden in Boone at the site of old meth motels on 321 in between McDonald's and WATA's offices, where that little boy died a couple years ago in the ditch. They bought land further down the road by Walgreens several years ago but held off due to the mixed beverage ban. So it's not as if they didn't want to open up shop there.
Completely false. Darden dropped plans to build an Olive Garden in Boone a while ago. This was confirmed at the Wilkesboro meeting in July.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:42 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,432 times
Quote:
Completely false. Darden dropped plans to build an Olive Garden in Boone a while ago. This was confirmed at the Wilkesboro meeting in July.
I don't think the word false means what you think it means. You just repeated what I said about Olive Garden planning to open in Boone. I didn't know they'd dropped it again. Last I heard both they and Hampton Inn were looking at the property. Perhaps Hampton Inn got to it first or made a better offer.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I think unless you define what You mean by progressive, the poll is useless.
It typically means politically, in which case Boone/Watauga county--one of only 8 counties in NC and the only one on your list to reject Amendment One, the constitutional ban on same-sex marriage or any sort of civil unions/domestic partnerships--would be the most progressive by the "usual" meaning, without further clarification.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM

126 posts, read 294,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I don't think the word false means what you think it means. You just repeated what I said about Olive Garden planning to open in Boone. I didn't know they'd dropped it again. Last I heard both they and Hampton Inn were looking at the property. Perhaps Hampton Inn got to it first or made a better offer.
I'm very aware of what false means. The information you provided was false. End of story.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,543,911 times
What a thread...

Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times
Carolinagrown, is there some reason you won't tell us what you mean by "progressive"? Do you mean a place with more progressive politics? A place that is growing? A good place for business? Several of us have repeatedly asked you what you mean and you have never taken time to explain.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,432 times
Quote:
I'm very aware of what false means. The information you provided was false. End of story.
Are you high or something? I said that restaurant had been looking at a place in Boone, you said the same thing, but added they decided against it. How is what I said, which is part of what you said, false? That would mean what you said was false as well.

Now if you're referring to the previous attempt at opening an Olive Garden further down 321 near where the Walgreens is, Jim Deal, chairman of the Watauga County board of commissioners told me about that back in 2006. Now if you're calling him a liar, then fine, whatever. I agree with him on few things, but I'll take his word over some random yahoo on the internet. But saying something is false because you don't think or wish it had happened out of some warped sense of local boosterism which requires you to denigrate other towns doesn't make it false.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,882,669 times
Quote:
Please explain your answer.
Please explain your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina