Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:52 AM

22 posts, read 28,839 times

Advertisements

We really love the mountains but since I will be the primary bread winner I need options of employment in a hospital. I work in Radiology ( ultrasound tech). We have been doing contract work and traveling the world the last 10 years and we are ready to land. We think NC is the state for us. It has so much to offer. We really love the mountains so what towns would you suggest that have mountain views and hospital employment? We also have a 21 month old daughter so we are interested in schools and safe towns....Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Net is your friend...list of western NC hospitals:
Western North Carolina Hospitals Directory, WNC Hospitals, Great Smoky Mountains, NC Hospitals

All the towns with hospitals in the list above are good places to live, raise a fam, imo.
Marion might be the least 'mountain-like' town, imo.

'Which town is best', or the one for you, is impossible for any of us to select, for your situ.
Job(s) potential nailed down first, then see if you like the area(s).

List of hospitals in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-18-2012 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Boone, North Wilkesboro, Ashe County -- these all have hospitals. If you are wanting to check it out, then Winston Salem might have travel work available as it is a big city center and only about an hr or so to boone and the blue ridge -- so it'd give you a taste of the area.

Asheville also is a relatively big city with multiple options. Charlotte is a big city fairly close to the mountains -- and similar to Winston-Salem, might be a base from which to get a travel position then be able to spend weekends headed up to the mountains to find your spot.

have fun!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:12 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Sylva, down south, west of Asheville.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I know some folks that live near Hendersonville and work at hospital jobs in Greenville, SC.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Greenville, SC is only 75 minutes south of downtown Asheville and less than an hour south of Hendersonville. Greenville Hospital System (GHS) is the largest health care center in the state of SC (yes, larger than MUSC in Charleston). The main hospital (Greenville Memorial) has nearly 750 beds - in total, GHS has nearly 1300 beds at all of its affiliated campuses. For comparison, Mission Hospital (in Asheville) has a total of 730 beds on its two campuses (Memorial and St. Joseph).

As tylerSC mentioned above, I personally know of two physicians who commute from Asheville to Greenville daily.

Another poster mentioned Wake/Baptist in Winston - the drive time to Boone (from Winston) is at least 90 minutes - my wife is from Greensboro and I've made the drive many times.

The drive time from Charlotte to Boone is nearly 2 hours - and the drive from Charlotte to Asheville is even longer.

Some are surprised but the largest metro with the easiest access to the Asheville/Hendersonville/Southern Apps area is Greenville/Upstate, SC (not Charlotte and, of course, not Winston).

The largest hospitals in the Western NC area: Mission, Pardee, Park Ridge Health (all in the Asheville/Hendersonville area) and Wautaga Medical Center (Boone). Due to the appeal of this area, the competition for medical jobs/opportunities is somewhat pronounced - also, expect the pay to be only average given the relatively high cost-of-living.

Unfortunately, Charlotte/Greenville (SC)/Winston will not have the "mountain views" you seek - I suggest contacting the Western NC hospitals above for openings.

Last edited by drfranklin; 08-18-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Ultrasound tech positions can be hard to come by; people are well paid and appreciated and tend to stay. If you have an area of expertise you might have better luck.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Where should I look? ....the internet....

How are random strangers suppose to tell you where to live? WNC makes up dozens of counties with everything from rural to city. You need to spend an extended visit then narrow down some cities/counties and google hospitals/practices in that area. If one wants to move, they should at least do a bit of work on their own...

Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Where should I look? ....the internet....

How are random strangers suppose to tell you where to live? WNC makes up dozens of counties with everything from rural to city. You need to spend an extended visit then narrow down some cities/counties and google hospitals/practices in that area. If one wants to move, they should at least do a bit of work on their own...
Tried to rep you again SS but my rep bank for you is full. So many folks come on here and get valuable free advice, and just wave as they drive by these threads, hoping we can solve all their dilemmas and miraculously come up with their "perfect spot". While there is a veritable wealth of information on the internet, [Google is so friendly!] --- they just won't take the time to do their own research. As another poster mentioned recently, C-D could be a "fee for membership" forum; then let's see how many pay to join to ask pie in the sky questions of those of us who reply honestly and promptly while our only motivation is to help someone relocate.

We don't have a crystal ball; we do our best. However, 90% of the time, these folks wave as they drive by, ride off into the sunset and we never hear from them again.

[The moderators at one time posted reminders for these "tell me everything about your town" posters to refrain from such broad based posts.]

Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
QuilterChick: good points.

I typically don't respond to these types of posts, simply b/c there are so many counties/towns/communities . . . and who the heck knows how to advise as to which would have the vibe the OP wants - plus the possibility of jobs.

I guess my advice has to be . . . folks need to come visit and see where they feel they would fit in.

The vibe is so very very different from one area to another . . . A person could fall in love with Asheville and feel really bummed in Sylva . . . could be very upbeat about Franklin and turned off to Boone . . . and one person could decide Avery County was his future while another feel totally out of synch there.

I guess my first piece of advice would be: see what hospitals are hiring. Any jobs in imaging - from ultrasound to MRI are scarce in W. NC right now. But things change! People retire and move. So that is where I would start. You can always take a job and move and then if it isn't the ideal situation, scout out the area and see what pleases you more. I would NOT come here assuming that you will find a job once you get settled in, as the field is not that open in imaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina