Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researching Retirement View Post
Lorriem,

I'm sorry to hear that this property is not going to work out for you. Hopefully that's a sign that something much better is ready to come along. Best of luck in finding just the right spot.

RR
You are right and this place was not even our first choice but the price was so right. The other two do allow 3 dogs but are more money and our realtor has found two other places that are very nice she is checking on the restrictions there today. If they allow three dogs we will go up this weeked and have a look. We have the Kennel booked and our hotel reservations all booked hoping it is a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Well that other new subdivision doesn't allow three dogs either so I have to either snuff one out (just kidding) or just go up and see two other homes that our realtor (they like dogs) found and re look at a few. We were in this position in the 90's ad gave one of our dogs to our daughter but I could not give any of my dogs up now.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,881 times
Default Our place is pet-friendly, and for sale

I was shocked at all the restrictions at the various developments. It's crazy that people can't have a vegetable garden in their front yard or hang their laundry out to dry. We run a small, pet-friendly B&B and cut flower farm but after 4 years we are homesick so we're moving back to Vermont to be near friends and family. Our property generates a fair amount of income, and there's a rentable apartment, too. We're on a dead-end road on 7 acres just 15 minutes to downtown Asheville. We found running the B&B to be really enjoyable and fairly easy. And we're often booked because so few places allow dogs. Anyway, I agree, I wouldn't live anywhere that I couldn't have my dogs. I think Vermont is more dog-friendly, but much colder, too.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We live in Fl also and in a deed restricted subdivsion. They do stand by all the rules and thank goodness they do allow three dogs. You have to keep up your property and you cannot put a truck with a co logo on your driveway.No campers on your property either. This does keep our neighborhood nice and the fee is $200 a year.Unreal. In Ca we paid anywhere from $100 a month to $250 a month.
While I don't personally have a truck with a company logo, I have many friends that use their company logoed trucks to drive to and from work on a daily basis. I think that's a ridiculous restriction. For the time being I'm still in an apartment, but when it's time to buy I don't want to be anywhere with an HOA. I've heard too many horror stories from friends and family who have had run ins.....especially regarding putting up tv antennas/dishes (thank god for some fcc regulations that limit what they can restrict regarding antennas)

Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We have a second home right in town, in a little neighborhood called Kenilworth Forest, right off Tunnel Road behind the mall. There are no HOA's here, and it is a very dog-friendly neighborhood, my neighbor has 3, and one lady here has about 5! Everyone watches their dogs and there is rarely a problem. I would try to scout out a home in this type neighborhood, if I were you. I hate all those HOA rules.

By the way, you can hang your clothes outside here, too. And this is a real cute, nicely kept little neighborhood where neighbors looks out for one another. We love it!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
While I don't personally have a truck with a company logo, I have many friends that use their company logoed trucks to drive to and from work on a daily basis. I think that's a ridiculous restriction. For the time being I'm still in an apartment, but when it's time to buy I don't want to be anywhere with an HOA. I've heard too many horror stories from friends and family who have had run ins.....especially regarding putting up tv antennas/dishes (thank god for some fcc regulations that limit what they can restrict regarding antennas)
I agree with you about the co logo and even the boats and campers if you have a side access does no harm and with the co logo on a truck that is that persons job so I object to that rule also. What I do like is everyone is aware that they have to maintain their property like cutting the grass, painting your home when needed and fixing broken down fences.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We have a second home right in town, in a little neighborhood called Kenilworth Forest, right off Tunnel Road behind the mall. There are no HOA's here, and it is a very dog-friendly neighborhood, my neighbor has 3, and one lady here has about 5! Everyone watches their dogs and there is rarely a problem. I would try to scout out a home in this type neighborhood, if I were you. I hate all those HOA rules.

By the way, you can hang your clothes outside here, too. And this is a real cute, nicely kept little neighborhood where neighbors looks out for one another. We love it!
Wow that sounds just like the town that I grew up in.Clothes lines (love the smell of freash clean clothes) All the neighbors knew each other and looked after each other now you are lucky if you know any neighbors.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
This segues to my question. Where, in Buncombe Co., might we be allowed to exist with 3 or more unaltered show dogs? May we build our 6' fences to contain them? We prefer older houses, the older the better, DESPISE amputated mountain terracing, and would probably have a heart attack with any HOA. Please elaborate where these mythical areas are to us outsiders from beyond your beautiful state, so that we may look more productively eventually. Thank you guys!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
I think you can keep them anywhere that's not in a historic district or HOA, as long as you pay register and pay the fee for unaltered pets. Buncombe County animal control

Old 11-02-2007, 07:40 PM

366 posts, read 1,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
I agree with you about the co logo and even the boats and campers if you have a side access does no harm and with the co logo on a truck that is that persons job so I object to that rule also. What I do like is everyone is aware that they have to maintain their property like cutting the grass, painting your home when needed and fixing broken down fences.
I can understand the stuff like you're mentioning regarding the grass, painting, etc. I guess that even though I've been in the Asheville area for 8 years now, I grew up in a neighborhood where those kind of things were kept up without need for an HOA. It wasn't anything fancy but people worked hard for their homes and took pride in keeping them up without anyone telling them they had to. It's just something you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina