Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,369,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
They are cute and a lot of folks like it in there, and it's okay if you want to be realllly close to your neighbors. There are also several mobile home parks over there near Highland Lake; and on the other side of Highland Lake Road (King's Creek area) is low income housing.
Never mind.

I've become interested in Mills River because it's sounds like it's more the type of scenic landscape I prefer, similar to what we have here in the Hiawassee/Hayesville area. Plus proximity to both Brevard, Hendersonville, and Asheville.

But who knows until I see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Never mind.

I've become interested in Mills River because it's sounds like it's more the type of scenic landscape I prefer, similar to what we have here in the Hiawassee/Hayesville area. Plus proximity to both Brevard, Hendersonville, and Asheville.

But who knows until I see it?

Gotch'ya, and agree. Mills River is nice and the proximity to Rt. 280 and Rt. 191. Some very nice developments in Mills River, and rolling land with mountain views. They just built a new park including a beautiful library right in the park and have plenty of land leftover for more amenities in there. It is definitely an up and coming area. There is some bottom land there along the river, and a sod farm etc., which opens up nice vistas. Check these developments: Sweetwater Hills; Mills River Village; Waterford Farms, Bridlewood, High Vista CC (you don't have to belong to the club). You may also be interested in Laurel Park which is near Mills River, very popular area. A beautiful subdivision "Tamarac" off So. Rugby Rd. runs from Rt. 64 to Rt. 191 and is very close to Mills River. Lots of pretty pockets in that locale and not as pricey as Flat Rock proper.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
Henderson County currently has five incorporated towns/cities: Hendersonville, Fletcher, Flat Rock, Laurel Park and Mills River.

Driving distance from downtown Hendersonville:

Laurel Park - 2.2 miles
Flat Rock - 3.6 miles
Mills River - 7.9 miles
Fletcher - 10.5 miles

Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Mills River is nice and the proximity to Rt. 280 and Rt. 191. Some very nice developments in Mills River, and rolling land with mountain views.
We took a wonderful trip to Brevard in the spring. Went the "difficult" route on purpose from Hayesville to Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers to Sapphire to Brevard.

Enjoyed everything, but it clarified what I like. Although I've always loved the Highlands area, there's entirely too much Mountain Laurel for me. I like the plant, but only in small doses. You get a preponderance of dark-toned plants at higher altitudes and it sort of depresses me. Plus, the Highlands-Cashiers-Sapphire area has a more "enclosed" feeling compared to the wide-open vistas of where I live now. I'd rather visit there.

I liked the town of Brevard, but again, the general countryside doesn't have the vistas I'm used to. We have rolling land with green hilltops interspersed with mountains everywhere and it's just more scenic in my opinion. We also seemed to have a lot more flowering trees in the spring. Odd.

We looked at Sylva an eon ago and it was too vertical for me.

I'm sensitive to the effect a landscape has on me. Or I'm weird. Probably both.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,449,185 times
I love mills river too! My husband can work from home so once my contract here in SC is up we are looking at moving to somewhere between flat rock and mills river. I count down the days.

Thats funny how you like the open vistas and dislike a lot of tree cover. I think I'm the exact opposite. I love to be able to see for miles like craggy gardens but would choose to live in a little cove with trees everywhere.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM

I LOVE coves too. I live on a hill in the middle of one and it feels like a tree house with woods on three sides and an open vista in front. You can see the tallest mountain in Georgia from the deck. I prefer a house in the middle of trees, but like to have a gap in them with a vista.

What I missed the most in Brevard and other areas, is more how it looks while you're driving around. That's where my area has the advantage. The combination of pastures, green hills, and mountains is like a painting. We also have 7,000 acre Lake Chatuge meandering all over town which adds to the beauty and wide-open feeling. I love mountain lakes.

What we don't have, is a walkable downtown or good enough medical options. We have nice shops and restaurants, but they're spead all up and down the highway. Everything is a trade off. In Mills River, I'd miss the lake, but gain Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard and proximity to other downtowns.

I wish I could either bring the lake with me, or bring the towns there down here.

Where are my magic powers?

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 09-11-2012 at 03:57 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
My husband can work from home so once my contract here in SC is up we are looking at moving to somewhere between flat rock and mills river. I count down the days.
BTW, I'm so happy to hear that. It's heartbreaking when someone loves a place so much, to be ripped away from it.

If I go down to Atlanta, I enjoy it. But I still want to kiss the ground when I get back here.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM

23 posts, read 34,890 times
I just started looking in Flat Rock for a vacation home that will become a retirement home. I found a fsbo on Boyd Dr so took a ride over there today. Almost every home on the street was for sale! Anybody know what's going on there? I loved the natural look of the street but wonder what is going on. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM

24 posts, read 50,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbe View Post
I just started looking in Flat Rock for a vacation home that will become a retirement home. I found a fsbo on Boyd Dr so took a ride over there today. Almost every home on the street was for sale! Anybody know what's going on there? I loved the natural look of the street but wonder what is going on. Thanks!
Funny. My husband and I were driving on Boyd Dr. on a recent trip to Flat Rock. We probably looked at the same FSBO you're talking about. We noticed a lot of houses on that street for sale too. There seems to be a higher than average number of homes in Flat Rock for sale. I have no idea why but I'm also wondering why.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
From what I know of the Boyd Drive area in Flat Rock, many of the homeowners that are still there bought their homes brand new, either as primary residences or summer homes. The Flat Rock area was settled early on by folks from Charleston SC coming up to the mountains in the summer to escape the heat and humidity of coastal SC. Some new construction took place in the early to mid 80's, and some of them are for sale now through natural attrition. Long time owners are going into assisted living possibly, some are going back to states where there families are and so forth. Add to that, some homes that were bought in Flat Rock in general as second homes in the late 90's and during the early 2000's "boom" time are being sold because of the economy. People may not want to, or simply cannot, afford second homes as they get older and many are giving up a hefty percentage of their equity.

So, opportunity arises! There are several homes even in (gated country club Kenmure) and ungated lovely Claremont across the way, exclusive areas, where there are even more second homes being put on the market. There are also a few very high end subdivisions platted out within the last 4 years, where originally priced $300K and $400K lots remain undeveloped.

Nothing wrong with Boyd Drive at all, it's just economic circumstances combined with age of the residents. (Western NC as you know, is very attractive to retirees from all over the country.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina