Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 19,692 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread has been disturbing because we, as many other retirees, need access to quality health care now that we have aged.

It sounds as if good medical care in general in the Asheville/Henderson area is inconsistent.

It would be very helpful to read some more recent opinions and experiences regarding Mission and its related providers. Perhaps things have gotten better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 7,177 times
Default Poor Mission Hospital Medical Care

Those who give mission hospital high ratings are obviously being paid off.

AVOID Cancer Care Western North Carolina (CCWNC) and Mission Hospital in Asheville NC. DO NOT go there for cancer care. If the cancer doesn’t kill you the CCWNC oncoligists and Mission Hospital system will. If you want competent healthcare go to MD Anderson (multiple locations), I went to CCWNC in Asheville to be treated for esophageal cancer (EC) stage 1. I was given radiation and a high dosage of 5FU and cisplatin chemo drugs. The 5FU is a lethal toxic drug, many die from the 5FU. A test (DPD test) has been developed to determine if your system can tolerate the 5FU. I was not given this test because the oncologist said he doesn’t believe in it. As a result of the oncologists personal opinion I ended up being hospitalized near death for 3 weeks and then 2 weeks of inpatient therapy.
While hospitalized I was over hydrated and my entire body was swollen and I was having trouble breathing due to my lungs filling up with fluid. My wife had to get vocal to get the doctor to treat me for being over hydrated since the doctor and nurses obviously were not trained to monitor what they are doing. Fluid was taken from my lungs and tested and I was told I had 6 months to live, I was told a couple of weeks later that what I was told was not true. I had another doctor review the records and was told I was nearly dead while I was hospitalized. I was left disabled and with terminal heart damage due to the medical oncologists, DR Chay, negligence. After getting out of rehab I contacted MD Anderson in Houston and was treated there. During three week long trips I was given a minor surgical procedure and was told I was disease free. MD Anderson is rated as the number 1 cancer hospital in the nation.

Approximately 275,000 cancer patients a year are given 5FU, up to 10% or 27,500 are killed due to negligent homicide by the oncologists. Demand the DPD test.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinmike View Post
Those who give mission hospital high ratings are obviously being paid off.

AVOID Cancer Care Western North Carolina (CCWNC) and Mission Hospital in Asheville NC. DO NOT go there for cancer care. If the cancer doesn’t kill you the CCWNC oncoligists and Mission Hospital system will. If you want competent healthcare go to MD Anderson (multiple locations), I went to CCWNC in Asheville to be treated for esophageal cancer (EC) stage 1. I was given radiation and a high dosage of 5FU and cisplatin chemo drugs. The 5FU is a lethal toxic drug, many die from the 5FU. A test (DPD test) has been developed to determine if your system can tolerate the 5FU. I was not given this test because the oncologist said he doesn’t believe in it. As a result of the oncologists personal opinion I ended up being hospitalized near death for 3 weeks and then 2 weeks of inpatient therapy.
While hospitalized I was over hydrated and my entire body was swollen and I was having trouble breathing due to my lungs filling up with fluid. My wife had to get vocal to get the doctor to treat me for being over hydrated since the doctor and nurses obviously were not trained to monitor what they are doing. Fluid was taken from my lungs and tested and I was told I had 6 months to live, I was told a couple of weeks later that what I was told was not true. I had another doctor review the records and was told I was nearly dead while I was hospitalized. I was left disabled and with terminal heart damage due to the medical oncologists, DR Chay, negligence. After getting out of rehab I contacted MD Anderson in Houston and was treated there. During three week long trips I was given a minor surgical procedure and was told I was disease free. MD Anderson is rated as the number 1 cancer hospital in the nation.

Approximately 275,000 cancer patients a year are given 5FU, up to 10% or 27,500 are killed due to negligent homicide by the oncologists. Demand the DPD test.
Sorry this happened to you. Our experience with Mission has been very good. As it has been with our doctors for the almost 5 years we have lived here. Sounds like you got a very bad doctor.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Elder View Post
Reading this thread has been disturbing because we, as many other retirees, need access to quality health care now that we have aged.

It sounds as if good medical care in general in the Asheville/Henderson area is inconsistent.

It would be very helpful to read some more recent opinions and experiences regarding Mission and its related providers. Perhaps things have gotten better.

Actually, I would consider the options in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area quite good (2 hospitals in Hendersonville, Mission in Asheville, and Greenville Memorial). We currently drive 65 miles for specialty care as that is the nearest medical center with the best doctors. Even if we decide to go to Greenville, we will be cutting our drive in almost half as it is only 36 miles.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Actually, I would consider the options in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area quite good (2 hospitals in Hendersonville, Mission in Asheville, and Greenville Memorial). We currently drive 65 miles for specialty care as that is the nearest medical center with the best doctors. Even if we decide to go to Greenville, we will be cutting our drive in almost half as it is only 36 miles.
We lived in Greenville for 4.5 years (2008-2012) and had excellent medical care from Greenville Mem-affiliated doctors.

The only negative experience was a rep from the hospital billing office not even waiting until my hubby had fully waked up from anesthesia to get his signature on some paperwork. Grrrr......

Old 08-22-2018, 04:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The only negative experience was a rep from the hospital billing office not even waiting until my hubby had fully waked up from anesthesia to get his signature on some paperwork. Grrrr......
Oh, I've had that in MSJ. My eyes were still blurry and they expected me to sign some form. Uh, OK, whatever, I just want to be discharged.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 PM

243 posts, read 477,650 times
Mission has a really fast billing department (that's good or bad depending on what you want) compared to other hospitals I've been to.

They also have great company with poor quality care. Think of all the headlines mass shooting get. They are scary but in the larger picture they don't even register as a blip on the statistical death scale.

Now think about 15 Vegas shooting massacres a day, every day, every week, every month, year after year. That's the death toll with regards to preventable deaths in US hospital and long term care facilities!!!! It seems made up. A number that large had to be fake....quick google will show it's not. That number doesn't include outpatient and other medical areas.

So mission may not be good.....but their poor quality is in good company.

Last edited by oneluckymug; 08-22-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 04:42 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
M.D. Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world, along with Sloan Kettering and Mayo Clinic. If I was diagnosed with a serious illness, I wouldn’t hesitate to fly to one of those hospitals for treatment.
In 1992, my mother was diagnosed with a pituitary brain tumor. We lived in Chicago and Chicago has very good hospitals, but we flew to the Mayo Clinic and had it removed there. I have no hesitation, other than leaving my pets, to fly out of state for medical care.
I can have follow up care at Mission after the initial diagnosis and treatment plan is developed.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:52 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Folks it's not just here that there are issues like this. As I get older so do my friends, relatives and co-workers.
In the last yr I've had two deaths of friends that should have or could have possibly been avoided and one now battling cancer as I type.
One friend for a yr complained about shortness of breath. He was told he had Emphysema, then COPD and a few other illnesses. He ended up in a local hospital and the nurse came back and asked how long he had lung cancer??????????? WHAT! He passed about 2 weeks later.
Another was cancer free for 15 yrs and over the holidays had severe stomach problems, had been back to the dr several times and sent home with tums!!!! NY eve he ends up in the ER bleeding profusely. He passed 8 weeks later from colon cancer. The dr's never thought to check since he had cancer in the past?!?!?!?
I now have a cousin in the eastern part of the state who has been pain the last yr being told she had fissure, Really? She just 6 weeks ago was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.
I myself have seen 6 different dr's for chest pain since Oct and have been diagnosed with muscle spasms, esophagus issues and down the list, one even saying the artery between my heart and lungs was clogged or calcified. When I went to my cardiologist I seen 4 different ones and had 4-5 appointments cancelled! One pulmonologist Never even touched me or listened to my chest, just got up and walked out after reading the 6 pages of forms I filled out! BUT they did demand my co-pay of nearly $400.00 before leaving.
Folks it is no longer HealthCare but HEALTH BUSINESS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

One thing I will say many of my dr's here and others I know do travel outside this area for care. My Aunt goes Spartanburg Regional and it has been recommended by a few of my dr's for care. She was in the local hospital 8 times in a yr for up to a week each time and the OD'ed her on gabapentin and never noticed, one day in S-R and she was up and recovering!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:17 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
M.D. Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world, along with Sloan Kettering and Mayo Clinic. If I was diagnosed with a serious illness, I wouldn’t hesitate to fly to one of those hospitals for treatment.
In 1992, my mother was diagnosed with a pituitary brain tumor. We lived in Chicago and Chicago has very good hospitals, but we flew to the Mayo Clinic and had it removed there. I have no hesitation, other than leaving my pets, to fly out of state for medical care.
I can have follow up care at Mission after the initial diagnosis and treatment plan is developed.
Yeah in theory that sounds like an excellent idea, but then the average Joe will run into insurance barriers. Some won't cover you if you're out of state. Gets complex and limits you from certain treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina