Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times

Advertisements

Here are two separate personal positive accounts of our medical experiences in Asheville. I replied to another post that focused on a negative outcome with Mission Hospital. The summary of that one: All hospitals have occasional negative outcomes, everyone, not all of which are related to hospital care. My wife collapsed suddenly a month ago and went through the Mission ER, where she was seen quickly, treated with kindness and respect for two days. Over two years ago we moved to Asheville because my wife had a rare and difficult to treat condition that resulted in driving 2 1/2 hours one way to see one of only two renown physicians on the East Coast that specialize in her condition. Thanks to that MD she totally recovered a year ago. The internet is full of people complaining about any hospital and any doctor. Positive outcomes are seldom mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 03:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I am in Avery County, NC. A few years ago I had appendicitis......OMG...I'd never been admited to a hospital before (I did sadly deal with the WORST CARE IN THE WORLD AT Holy Cross in Ft Laud with my mom) I was admitted to Cannon Hospital and the Doctors, nurses, staff were FABULOUS!!!! Even the food was excellent when I was able to eat. NC is known for excellent Medical Schools.... I'm staying right where I am!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:19 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Sticking to Mission I have had a heart procedure done their and a dif/PacMaker installed and the care from the dr's and nurses were way more then I could ever expect.
Had a relative have open Heart Surgery again, dr's nurses way above what was expected.
Close friend had a heart attack and ended up there and again, great.

Now Mission is buying up every little business in the area and I will never have another test with anyone associated with the hospital They just bought Asheville Imaging and now do test in the hospital. By far the worst care I have ever received in my life. I about ever 6-8 months have to have a needle stuck in my spine and never had a problem until the last time at the hospital, I was pushed, bullied and was left laying in pain like I never had in my life and the person who did the procedure got angry because I asked for the tech who did it the last several times. The die made me sick and the nurses insisting I stop getting sick and got an attitude, really!

As I stated at the top the care was above great but the housekeeping was horrible, my relative was there for nearly two weeks and was pretty sick. We couldn't get housekeeping to do anything more the mumble in a foreign language and make a trail with a swifter. WE had to clean the garbage, the bathroom and anything else to do with cleanliness. Even the floors.

OK my personal experience with Mission, if I need any heart procedure I will go their first.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 7,177 times
Thumbs down Cancer Care WNC Mission Health

Avoid Mission Cancer care. They nearly killed me with their negligence. If you want to receive competent care and be cured of cancer go to MD Anderson. DO NOT risk your life at Mission Health.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:55 AM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinmike View Post
Avoid Mission Cancer care. They nearly killed me with their negligence. If you want to receive competent care and be cured of cancer go to MD Anderson. DO NOT risk your life at Mission Health.
I feel sure readers would find some additional details helpful, if you don't mind. It is a life or death matter.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Here is a fine example of absurd and arrogant "thinking". Someone hit my reputation icon and posted the following comment (referring to: griffinmike) -- "It is NOT true. Mission is excellent ! That poster is a nutjob."

Shaking my head....how many people get to adult age and "think" like that? Mission may be excellent at many things or at many times but only an actual nut would not want to hear more about something they may have done very badly. That is living in la la land.

I know a very competent nurse who recently retired from Mission and she had numerous disturbing tales to tell. Stories commensurate with a bottomline-oriented, big corporate entity managing your healthcare. (FYI, I am a business person and often defend the business angle in a discussion but, there are limits, and when you're vulnerable in a hospital the last thing you want is a hospital CEO trying to shave some nickels by routinely working their nurses an unsafe and exhausting number of hours, etc, etc.)

#FreeSpeech

Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,168 times
Here is our experience with Mission. My husband went in for spinal surgery on August 29th. He lost two liters of blood during surgery, and they nicked the spinal covering during surgery so he started losing spinal fluid, and had to lie flat on his back for two days to see if it would heal. It did, but he had to stay in the hospital for seven days instead of the four they had originally planned. In the seven days we were there, they never once swept the floor or moped or cleaned the room or bathroom. We later found out we had to request that be done. We had to continually ask for the trash to be taken out. We took him home, but he never improved. He went back to the doctor and they prescribed more pain meds. By the next Friday, he was in terrible shape and the physical therapist who was coming in called and said they needed to see him. They called in more pain meds and said they would see him on Monday. On Monday, when we went in to the doctor, they did and MRI and put him in the hospital. They said it was a massive infection, which he probably got in the operating room, since it was infected from the inside to out. They did surgery to remove the infection on Tuesday, and put him on IV antibiotics. They said they had it under control and he would be out Friday. They sent the discharge person in and did the last blood work. A little while later they told us he couldn't be released because he now had a blood infection. This morning (Saturday), they did more work and told him he had MRSA. He didn't have it on Monday, so he picked it up here. They are getting ready to do an echo to see if his heart was harmed. I requested they clean his room this morning since it hadn't been cleaned since Monday. Just a couple of other things I noticed. Yesterday, one of the CNA's came in and emptied his urine. Then without changing gloves, she uncapped his water container and put ice in it. I requested a new container. Also, they changed the packing in his wound and put it in the trash can (not bio-hazard container) and had bandage material on floor they didn't bother picking up. We had to request that someone come in and take the trash out. Needless to say, I am so disappointed with this hospital and wish we could move him to Park Ridge. Mission used to have such an excellent reputation.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Have you reported these incidents to someone in charge (other than a nurse or orderly) at the hospital ?
If not, you'd better document everything with dates and times, and names of all you feel are at fault -- and do it pronto. In the interim, get a medical malpractice attorney. It won't do any good to vent on an internet forum. Hope your husband recovers soon.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 7,177 times
Default Medical malpractice attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Have you reported these incidents to someone in charge (other than a nurse or orderly) at the hospital ?
If not, you'd better document everything with dates and times, and names of all you feel are at fault -- and do it pronto. In the interim, get a medical malpractice attorney. It won't do any good to vent on an internet forum. Hope your husband recovers soon.

Who are the medical malpractice attorneys that dont belong to the good ole boy club that mission belongs to?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffinmike View Post
Who are the medical malpractice attorneys that dont belong to the good ole boy club that mission belongs to?

Huh ! ? they don't turn away cases sir, or they wouldn't be in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina