U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

88 posts, read 159,867 times

Advertisements

Married couple with elementary kids looking to relocate....all options are open right now. Is Asheville a college town, predominantly young professionals, nature lover or tourist local, etc. or is it a good place to settle and let the trunks take root?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,472,708 times
"All options"?? Where will you be working, if at all? What's your budget? We visited Asheville, looking at possible second home there, and in Hendersonville and Brevard. I don't think of Asheville as a college town, though there is a branch of UNC just outside town. Many younger people, but a wide range of ages. Generally more liberal than the surrounding area. What are you looking for? We probably won't buy in the area, for a variety of reasons, but if we did we'd likely buy in or around Brevard, for more nature, and lower costs, than Asheville. But we don't have kids, and you may have more money.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,740,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
"All options"?? Where will you be working, if at all? What's your budget? We visited Asheville, looking at possible second home there, and in Hendersonville and Brevard. I don't think of Asheville as a college town, though there is a branch of UNC just outside town. Many younger people, but a wide range of ages. Generally more liberal than the surrounding area. What are you looking for? We probably won't buy in the area, for a variety of reasons, but if we did we'd likely buy in or around Brevard, for more nature, and lower costs, than Asheville. But we don't have kids, and you may have more money.

UNC Asheville is NOT a branch of UNC. It is a totally separate university with a population of about 3k. There are 16 or so campus that make up the UNC public university system but they all operate independently and have their own budgets and aren't affiliated with UNC Chapel Hill. Now just recently UNCA has started a satellite pharmacy program with UNCCH but it makes up about 20 students. Sorry to drown on but I absolutely hate when people say this.

OP: If you need a job Asheville isn't a good place to go as your original question of it being a tourist mecca is accurate and there are few professional positions available. The population is mostly retirees and those who bring their income with them or minimum wage 20 sometimes that try to make it for a few years and eventually give up and move.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM

214 posts, read 195,301 times
Speaking as part of a married couple with elementary kids, I think it's a wonderful place to raise a family if you have the means to live here (i.e., a portable job or no need for one). Definitely more tourists and retirees than young professionals, but there are also nice family neighborhoods and lots of family-friendly things to do. We had no trouble making friends our age who are also raising kids.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,472,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
UNC Asheville is NOT a branch of UNC. It is a totally separate university with a population of about 3k. There are 16 or so campus that make up the UNC public university system but they all operate independently and have their own budgets and aren't affiliated with UNC Chapel Hill. Now just recently UNCA has started a satellite pharmacy program with UNCCH but it makes up about 20 students. Sorry to drown on but I absolutely hate when people say this.
Semantics but I guess it's a sore spot with some. UNC Asheville is part of the UNC system. To my mind, that makes it a branch of the UNC system (I didn't say branch of UNC Chapel Hill) Not subservient. They are affiliated. They aren't part of UNC Chapel Hill. UNC Asheville's site describes it as "the only dedicated liberal arts institution in the University of North Carolina system." UNC's main Web site describes the system as " UNC is a multi-campus university composed of all 16 of North Carolina's public institutions that grant baccalaureate degrees . . ." If branch applies too close an affiliation to you, we can call it a branch of the UNC system, okay?

I think you meant "drone on." Can I guess you went to UNC Asheville and don't like when people view it as a junior member of the system (which I didn't say it was)? I can imagine alumni of UNC Chapel Hill and NC State get upset when people mix them up. BTW, I was cheering for UNC Asheville in the NCAA finals.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM

863 posts, read 506,872 times
Area College and University Campuses

Western Carolina University is a 4 year accredited college. Earn a BA, BS. Take courses in liberal arts, business, criminal justice and engineering. Get a nursing degree. Western is a part of the UNC system. The school is about an hour away from Asheville. Many people from Asheville commute to and from Western. It is located in Cullowhee, NC.
Montreat College is a 4 year accredited college and Christian college. Earn an Associate degree, BA, MBA. The school offers smaller classrooms and adult studies. It is located in Montreat, NC.
Warren-Wilson College is a 4 year accredited college. Earn a BA, BS, MFA. Take Graduate classes. The school offers small classes. It is located at 701 Warren Wilson Rd in Swannanoa, NC.
Mars Hill College is a 4 year accredited college and a Christian college. Earn a BA, BS, BM, BFA. and BSW. Take liberal arts studies, business management, teacher education and social work. The school offers small classes. It is located in Downtown Mars Hill NC.
Brevard College is a 4 year accredited college. Get your teacher licensee. Earn a BA, BS, BFA. The school offers Small classes. It is located in Brevard, NC.
Community Colleges in Town

Asheville Buncombe Technology Community College is a 2 year college. Earn an Associate degree. Take nursing programs, computer classes, GED classes and continuing education courses. It is located at 340 Victoria Rd. Asheville, NC.
South College offers Associate degrees, Bachelor degrees and certificate programs. Take Business, Paralegal, Nursing or Criminal Justice classes. It is located at 25 Turtle Creek Rd Asheville, NC.

Community Colleges near Asheville North Carolina
Blue Ridge Community College is a two year school. Take distance learning classes. Earn an Associate degrees. Take Applied technology, Nursing or Business. Get your GED. There are two locations at located at 180 West Campus Rd Flat Rock and 45 Oak Park Rd Brevard.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

North, South, East and West Asheville each have their own unique distinction and flavor. Where you live is largely determined by budget, as well as needs and a feel of how you will "fit in". I landed in North Asheville near Beaver Lake and love it. However, this area is largely populated by older folks. West Asheville has a lot of younger people/hipsters, while South Asheville is more sedate. A lot of working professionals live there. For middle income folks raising a family, I suppose I'd lean toward East Asheville. If you want more breathing room, check out Fairview and nearby Black Mountain. Weaverville, just north of Asheville, is also worth considering.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM

22 posts, read 21,981 times
Default Asheville for raising a family

Yes, Asheville is good for raising a family. I am a middle-aged woman without children and I feel like I don't belong here at all! Most activities are "family oriented". The schools are very good, and generally speaking wherever you go, all people talk about is their kids!! So...if you seek a place to raise children and the children are the focus, Asheville is a good fit.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,047,115 times
I love raising my kids here. we moved to asheville last year and don't regret it at all.

'schools are very good' .. well, I guess it depends on where you are coming from. our (charter) school in delaware (known for medium school quality) was actually much better. so (public) school wise I am kind of disappointed.
Love the variety of private schools though and the public charter schools (but it's hard to get in there).

elementary schools seem to be fine. TC roberson is supposed to be good and my newly freshman like it. but we are not everwhelmed or something .

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Are you familiar with Morganton, NC? Morganton in the Foothills Region of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina