U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the western Nc mountains with our 11 year old son in the next year. We currently live in Wilmington, NC where everything is too fast paced and the cost-of living is quickly rising. There are entirely too many people in this county! This will be our last home. Does anyone have suggestions of a nice town, preferably within 30 min of Boone, or a small city where we could find decent medical care, shopping, etc? Because my husband is retiring and I am a stay-at-home mom, cost-of-living is a concern. We would like to purchase or build a cabin style home with valley or mountain views. We LOVE Valle Crucis, but the real estate there seems to be pricier than where we already live (about a mile from the waterway ). We would love to find a little Mayberry, but Mountain style. Would love any suggestions regarding this move, be it location, real-estate gems, tips for building in the mountains, real-estate companies, pros&cons of a cabin-style home, down to any detail you would like to share. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvpeaks View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to the western Nc mountains with our 11 year old son in the next year. We currently live in Wilmington, NC where everything is too fast paced and the cost-of living is quickly rising. There are entirely too many people in this county! This will be our last home. Does anyone have suggestions of a nice town, preferably within 30 min of Boone, or a small city where we could find decent medical care, shopping, etc? Because my husband is retiring and I am a stay-at-home mom, cost-of-living is a concern. We would like to purchase or build a cabin style home with valley or mountain views. We LOVE Valle Crucis, but the real estate there seems to be pricier than where we already live (about a mile from the waterway ). We would love to find a little Mayberry, but Mountain style. Would love any suggestions regarding this move, be it location, real-estate gems, tips for building in the mountains, real-estate companies, pros&cons of a cabin-style home, down to any detail you would like to share. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post.
There really is nothing like you describe within 30 minutes of Boone - unless you count Boone itself

But two great suggestions that will get you close are West Jefferson and Sparta. These are awesome little towns!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM

2,913 posts, read 5,197,388 times
I hope you wont miss your wilmington climate, boone or sparta is considerably cooler. Are you more set on the high country? I think marion and south of there is pretty and uncrouded, the mountains are softer but still with views. I chose cherokee county because the climate and affordility.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 28 days ago)

3,606 posts, read 4,456,756 times
Sylva, Dillsboro, Sparta. Brevard is everyone's favorite small mountain town.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,728,217 times
If you find Wilmington/Valle crucis too expensive I think you will find the vast majority of WNC too expensive. Only to most remote areas of haywood/cherokee county offer lower costs of living.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,028,835 times
LoL, what OP is looking for does not exist. You cant have it all...

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,949,205 times
I think West Jefferson is a good suggestion. Check it out.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
Thank you so much for your suggestions. We definitely will not miss the climate!!! We've both lived here all our lives and detest this constant hot, humid weather. We are fortunate to live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Wilmington and have a $600,000 home. For our later years we would like to purchase a home valued at approx of $300K. We just don't have a clue how much house that would give us in the mountains.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM

407 posts, read 486,178 times
I have been watching homes listed for several yrs. now. Realtor dot com is a great place to start. Or contact the local realtor association for assistance in finding a Realtor in the area if you need one. Anyway........ I am not seeing a big dip in pricing like we had here in Fl. I had one Realtor in NC tell me they are about a year behind us in Fl. Not sure how true that is or not. All I know is hubby and I are itching to get here as soon as we can and I have not seen the prices drop in a big way like they have here. But...I think you could get a decent home in the 250-300ish K range. Good luck............... my heart is still in the WNC Mountains!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM

2,986 posts, read 2,454,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvpeaks View Post
We are fortunate to live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Wilmington and have a $600,000 home. For our later years we would like to purchase a home valued at approx of $300K. We just don't have a clue how much house that would give us in the mountains.
$300,00 will buy a nice house anywhere in WNC, but the size will differ depending on where you are. In general, the closer to Asheville, the smaller the house. Go further out to Hayesville or Murphy and you're talking about a larger house. The tradeoff is there are more and better hospitals, services, shopping, and culture closer to Asheville. But there is a lower cost of living and little traffic further away.

As far as cabins, you need to know that any wood exterior is going to require a regular investment in power washing and restaining/resealing every few years to keep it looking good. You can buy or build a rustic house with a Hardiplank exterior instead and it will cost you a lot less in the long run.

I'll give you two examples directly from people I know. Two couples build 4,000 square foot houses in 2005. One built a true log home and the other built a lodge-style home with Hardiplank siding.

The couple with the log home originally chose a finish that didn't repel dirt well enough and ended up with dirt ingrained into the wood finish. About three years after they built it, They had to power wash or sandblast the wood, restain, and seal it with a more impervious finish. The cost was $10,000 and they are going to have to redo it every few years.

The couple with the Hardiplank house hasn't had to do a thing. It will eventually need to be repainted, but right now the paint still looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina