Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 151,442 times

Advertisements

Is it as beautiful as I've read about in the travel mags........what other scenic roads are worth site sighting on in WNC..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
There is a book out there called "Road Trip USA" by Jenson (last name). This summer, I used it to travel the Blue Ridge to the Parkway and then all the way up to Maine. It was a wonderful experience the entire way. I have also used it to travel out west and back along 40, 1, and 2 back to the east coast. Don't limit yourself to just North Carolina. There are plenty of wonderful road trips out there.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Default One of our favorite day trips

If you are in the Waynesville area, we always like to take US 276 south out of Waynesville. A few miles out of town, take NC route 215 to the right. It will wind through some beautiful mountains, cross the Blue Ridge Parkway and wind up at US 64 in Rosman. You can then turn left on 64 and go into Brevard, have lunch and visit the shops. Then stay on 64 until you get to US 276 and take it back to Waynesville. This trip spends a lot of time in the Pisgah Forest and you can stop and see Looking Glass falls on your way back from Brevard. US 276 & 64 will have some traffic, but NC 215 is a nice peaceful ride. One time while we were up there in June, we had to stop in the road while a mother pheasant and her young ones took a stroll across in front of us.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:54 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypurrs13 View Post
Is it as beautiful as I've read about in the travel mags........what other scenic roads are worth site sighting on in WNC..........
YES!!!!!!!! It is more beautiful because you cannot put the Parkway in a book or a picture, you must see it to appreciate. And I have been on the roads that JRR mentioned and they are all beautiful. I just love driving through the Pisgah Forrest. Western North Carolina is the most scenic and beautiful place in the world to me.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 AM

42 posts, read 151,442 times
Thanks everyone....can't wait to experience it with my own eyes......how about the Cherokee Scenic Highway.....is it as beautiful....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypurrs13 View Post
Thanks everyone....can't wait to experience it with my own eyes......how about the Cherokee Scenic Highway.....is it as beautiful....
YES!!!!!!!!! Very Gorgeous!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina