U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM

172 posts, read 415,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I read a comment here on this board one time that said Lake Junaluska stunk. Anyone know if that's true and if so, is that because of the mill?
It Smells Horrible by the Bridge during the hot months....so bad i wont walk it during the day when its hot out....but its not from the mill....the Mill is in Canton and flows into the Pigeon....richland creek is what feeds Lake J....There is a Hog farm up stream of the lake and a Friend of mine who worked with the NC Wildlife service wont eat any fish out of lake J since he has been there and inspected Water Quality....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,038,470 times
Thanks, Hiker. Not to hijack this thread, but ever since I read that about Lake J, I've been curious, because it seems so pretty in the photos and videos. That's why I like this board, you get the lowdown from the locals. The real poop...no pun intended.

Hog farm, eh? I thought the hog farms in NC were pretty much in the Piedmont and points east, not so much in WNC. Hog manure is pretty deadly.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 PM

172 posts, read 415,286 times
It does look nice....but the Smell by the dam/bridge is terrible....it literally smells like human waste some days....iv seen people out there on paddle boards and even some swim in the lake and all i can think of is hoping they dont take any water into there mouth......Id rather smell the Paper Mill TBH

Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 640,175 times
The river that feeds Lake Junaluska has had several polluting industries located along it through the years. Some are now gone, but the effects live on in the sediment of the lake. Also, leaky sewage pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina