U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times

Advertisements

"Wonder if the two incidents were related?"

Interesting, RVT. Didn't think of that one, but it makes sense. Maybe a little intimidation or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Two weekends ago would have put it just a couple of days before Romney was due here in town to speak at the civic center. Wonder if the two incidents were related?
OH MY!!!! I didn't think of that, either!

I will check again to find out exactly what day they visited!

That may be the bottom line of all of this.

Thank you for your wonderful insight!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"I have never heard of people being accosted and racial slurs and political statements being made . . . it seemed staged."

Sounds like it was staged to me. I realize that in a forum of this nature, you may be constrained from giving the actual details of what really happened. This doesn't sound like a simple incident of a resentful panhandler.

My advice to anyone who experiences anything of this nature ANYWHERE is RUN, don't walk. Don't engage. Someone or some group was spoiling for a fight and looking for a pretext to start one.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Yes, my friends did feel these folks were spoiling for a fight.

The first time it happened, I think everyone (all 8 people sitting near each other) thought - okay - druggie acting crazy . . . and so they all just shrugged it off.

Then time elapsed and everyone more or less forgot about the incident. Then when the second person came around, I was told that people at the tables noticed that there were other people hanging back (not having been there - I don't know what distance the other people were from where this was taking place). With the second one, the language and ugly racial stuff and political statements escalated. The friends were stunned b/c they could not imagine a scene like this 2 times in one evening, but again, they thought - okay - these folks are drugged out of their minds and are probably talking to each other and hyping one another up and very angry - but they will go away and we will just chalk it up to "weird night out."

It was when the third guy came over and got ugly that they thought . . . something is not right about this . . . and they decided - let's just leave . . . They had a drive back to Boone, so why stay longer anyway.

Later they wondered why none of them thought about recording at least part of the rant. The first time, not surprising they didn't. The second time, it still caught them off guard. The third time, they just wanted to leave without being followed, but they all wished they had thought to record some of the craziness that occurred.

We continue to get a laugh from the "Newt Romney" comments, lolololol.

I am thinking this totally had to do with Romney being in town . . .

Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,814,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
There's a homeless shelter down the street from that bar. Resident's of the shelter are required to leave the shelter during the day. These people are coming off substances since they must submit to random drug/alcohol testing. And many are unstable.
We hear this over and over again. Why a homeless shelter doesn't want to shelter these people in daylight hours is a mystery. Just what the world needs ... unstable people walking around in packs.

Quote:
That being said, from reading your post, it sounds like your friends engaged in conversation with these people. Any savvy person knows better. It reminds me of the definition of insanity. You know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different response.
Wow. Unfounded assumptions!
Quote:
I live in Asheville and walk downtown at least twice a week and never have a problem as you describe. When approached, I firmly say "No". There is nothing else to say. I don't engage in political dialogue or denegrade a person who is in the throws of the worst period of their life- during a worldwide depression. Is homelesness a problem? Yes. Is it more prevalent in cities? Yes. If people insist in engaging the homeless panhandlers, they're going to get crazy. If they want to avoid this, there is a sanitized fantasyland at Disney World.
Who said anything about getting into a political discussion or denigrating them? There was nothing in the post about that.

The OP said when they were politely told there was no extra money to give them, and the shelter and soup kitchen was suggested, the panhandlers started screaming political and threatening things.

You are blaming the victims.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
"You are blaming the victims."

Exactly. Ani was just trying to figure something out and give a heads-up. I, for one, appreciate it very much, as I will be headed up that way come spring.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Ani was just trying to figure something out and give a heads-up. I, for one, appreciate it very much, as I will be headed up that way come spring.
It matters to all of us.

I couldn't get away to Asheville this year because of lots of stuff going on in my life. But I probably will next year. This is information that's important to me and other visitors.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
"You are blaming the victims."

Yep. That is exactly why I posted here . . . to find out if this is becoming something that is happening regularly in Asheville or if this was a group of folks hanging out in the area expressly to cause problems, or what.

I hope I made it clear . . . all the folks involved have spent many hours in Asheville and they all live in the Boone area, so we are not talking about newbs to the area or people who are likely to get involved in smack talk w/ local druggies. One person is from Canada; one from Dallas, TX and the other 2 are native North Carolinians.

No discussion was entered into at all. After everyone saying something along the lines of - "sorry man, just got enough to get myself fed and back home" . . . the guy at the other table said (in a helpful way) - that there was a soup kitchen somewhere near by (I have no idea where) . . . and that there was a homeless shelter down the street, and pointed. The barrage of ugliness immediately started, as if rehearsed. The language included many slurs, from MF this and that to racial slurs, i.e. "whitey" and "racist bigots" and references to "white sheets" (K KK) . . . and then the political slurs, all centered on Obama getting elected and what would happen to white people or Obama not getting elected and how black folks were going to kill white folks. There were even remarks made by one of the aggressors along the lines of "the man" and "keeping black folks down" and "now you gonna pay" etc etc.

These were DIATRIBES, ranting and raving and very deliberately POLITICAL.

That is why it seems very logical to me that these folks were particularly there trying to stir up problems in re: to Romney's visit to Asheville.

What I have no way of knowing is . . . have they been hanging around for some time . . . did they just show up . . . have they left.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM

863 posts, read 1,061,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, they did not engage in conversation. A guy sitting next to them (four guys at the table next to theirs) said something to them. All 8 people (my friends and the other 4 guys) had started up a conversation early on when my frieinds had arrived. SO they were all talking between themselves about where folks were from, what they had been doing that day. The conversation began b/c the 4 guys at the other table all had on different team sweatshirts and were from the Charlotte area, but none had on a Carolina Panthers sweatshirt. So my friends were teasing them that no one was supporting their "home" team.

So they were all laughing and talking and the first person walked up . . . and wasn't very nice about asking for money - was rather rude (wh/ is weird - you would think one would be humble when asking for money, lol) and so one of the guys from Charlotte said - If you need help, there is a homeless shelter right down the street . . . my friends just said - sorry, none to spare. But when the panhandler heard the info about the homeless shelter, she (I believe it was a woman that approached them first) went ballistic.

The guys from Charlotte kept saying - well there are soup kitchens, there is a homeless shelter, etc. My friends were not engaging in any conversation except (each time) to say something like "Sorry, none to spare.

BUt even the Charlotte group did not keep speaking with the panhandlers. They did repeat to each one, however, that there was a homeless shelter and they said something about a soup kitchen.

And my friends said it was obvious that hearing there was a homeless shelter nearby set each person off, cause each one replied with something like - I didn't ask for a place to sleep, I asked for money. The one person said to take the shelter and stick it (etc).

Yes, everyone assumed they were druggies b/c the rants were so crazy and definitely out of proportion.

I can't believe you are justifying the panhandlers' behavior by suggesting that we all need to go somewhere else such as Disney to avoid crazy people. ????? This IS the real world and no one did anything to "set these folks off." You think it is acceptable to be accosted by anti-social nutballs who are acting in an aggressive manner? That is our fault for crossing paths with them?

No wonder so many have an entitled attitude out there . . . geeeezzzz.

Keep enabling these folks and see where that gets us all.
My apologies- I misunderstood the situation. But I maintain they were probably coming off some long term drug use and were staying at the shelter. And I think a lot of the shelter people out panhandling don't want it known there is the shelter- and food, and other means of getting assistance aside from panhandling. I was aggresively approached by homeless panhandlers on two consecutive visits to SFO. I have no interest in returning to the City by the Bay. The second time was inside a shop in China Town. The manager called the police and a cop arrived while the guy was still in the shop. He was still acosting customers. The cop said, in essence, orders from the mayor's office required a "hands off" policy with regard to these people/behaviors. Sounds like it's about time for our city counsel to outlaw panhandling. It's certainly bad for tourism. I hope you forgive my rudeness. How 'bout I buy you a beer at the Thirsty Monk? I'll show you how to handle these rascals.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Yeah, if there's one consistent thing you hear about San Francisco, it's the aggressiveness of the panhandlers and homeless. I was thinking about San Francisco during this whole thread and hope it never gets that bad in Asheville.

It really takes the shine off of tourism. I've known several people who never wanted to return to San Francisco again.

I have read in the past that the downtown business owners in Asheville have tried to talk to the city about the problem. Sort of got the idea that the problem used to be worse and that it had gotten better. Hope it's not getting worse.

I have tons of sympathy for people in horrible situations ... right up until I am subjected to abuse.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
My apologies- I misunderstood the situation. But I maintain they were probably coming off some long term drug use and were staying at the shelter. And I think a lot of the shelter people out panhandling don't want it known there is the shelter- and food, and other means of getting assistance aside from panhandling. I was aggresively approached by homeless panhandlers on two consecutive visits to SFO. I have no interest in returning to the City by the Bay. The second time was inside a shop in China Town. The manager called the police and a cop arrived while the guy was still in the shop. He was still acosting customers. The cop said, in essence, orders from the mayor's office required a "hands off" policy with regard to these people/behaviors. Sounds like it's about time for our city counsel to outlaw panhandling. It's certainly bad for tourism. I hope you forgive my rudeness. How 'bout I buy you a beer at the Thirsty Monk? I'll show you how to handle these rascals.
I just wish my friends had gotten even a snippet of the ranting on video so they could show the city council what folks are being faced with.

Of course, as has been mentioned, maybe these are people who were only in Asheville a matter of days, b/c of Romney's visit. Or maybe they were feeling especially under the microscope b/c of Romney's visit. Who knows.

I do agree - from what I was told - it is very likely these folks were addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina