U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
RVT RVT started this thread

367 posts, read 639,447 times

Advertisements

Just as a note, my wife decided that she absolutely had to see the Gingerbread houses this year anyways, so we went.

What a disaster. They didn't even have half of what they usually have for houses, and 99% of the one's they did have looked like they were done by commitee (which they were. Kid's school classes).

Not doing it again next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,615,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Just as a note, my wife decided that she absolutely had to see the Gingerbread houses this year anyways, so we went.

What a disaster. They didn't even have half of what they usually have for houses, and 99% of the one's they did have looked like they were done by commitee (which they were. Kid's school classes).

Not doing it again next year.
Yea, they have started shipping them to other places. I know several are on display at the grove arcade now. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by excluding the local community but hey what do i know. I just know I will no longer spend an evening there shopping, eating and looking at the houses anymore. We use to spend random birthdays or whatnot getting dinner there, no more for that either, there are far better places to go that actually appreciate my money.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM

108 posts, read 344,193 times
Well, the Grove Park Inn has annoyed me yet again. Relatives are coming for Thanksgiving, and I thought the day after we would do the Trolley Tour (only been here 5 years & never did it). The first stop is the GPI, so I thought we'd get off and have some lunch and see the Gingerbread houses. The first woman I talked to said as long as we had meal reservations we could go see the Gingerbread Houses (gee, thanks). Switched me to the dining reservation person, who said there was nothing available, and made it clear that the GPI amenities were for registered guests. As many times as the place is bought and sold, it just keeps getting worse! Local money isn't good enough for them?

Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,095,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Well, the Grove Park Inn has annoyed me yet again. Relatives are coming for Thanksgiving, and I thought the day after we would do the Trolley Tour (only been here 5 years & never did it). The first stop is the GPI, so I thought we'd get off and have some lunch and see the Gingerbread houses. The first woman I talked to said as long as we had meal reservations we could go see the Gingerbread Houses (gee, thanks). Switched me to the dining reservation person, who said there was nothing available, and made it clear that the GPI amenities were for registered guests. As many times as the place is bought and sold, it just keeps getting worse! Local money isn't good enough for them?
Gingerbread Competition - Asheville Hotel | Asheville Resort | North Carolina Hotel and 50% of the parking fee goes back to the community. If you are "local" then you know that it would have been prudent to check the best times for you and your visitors to visit the exhibit and when; it is your fault that you waited until the last minute to inquire and try to make reservations. Happy holidays!

Last edited by mm_mary73; 11-28-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 11:39 AM

108 posts, read 344,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Gingerbread Competition - Asheville Hotel | Asheville Resort | North Carolina Hotel and 50% of the parking fee goes back to the community. If you are "local" then you know that it would have been prudent to check the best times for you and your visitors to visit the exhibit and when; it is your fault that you waited until the last minute to inquire and try to make reservations. Happy holidays!
AHHHH....THIS is why I stopped writing on this forum! So kind...

Old 11-29-2013, 05:16 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,627,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
AHHHH....THIS is why I stopped writing on this forum! So kind...
I agree that the response to your post was totally uncalled for. Don't give up.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,095,084 times
"Well, the Grove Park Inn has annoyed me yet again. ...As many times as the place is bought and sold, it just keeps getting worse! Local money isn't good enough for them? "
You trash a landmark and then are insulted when someone calls you out on it.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,957,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
"Well, the Grove Park Inn has annoyed me yet again. ...As many times as the place is bought and sold, it just keeps getting worse! Local money isn't good enough for them? "
You trash a landmark and then are insulted when someone calls you out on it.
FWIW, I agree with roadpony. Your reply was quite brash and uncalled for. Guess we have too much influence from the P&OC Forum, and it bleeds over to other areas.

To assist the OP, I believe that if you try to schedule something at GPI during the week ... Monday thru Thursday, you will find that they are indeed accommodating during those times. DW and I sometimes go to the Spa over there for their twilight passes ... currently (I think) $60 for 4 hours - after 5:00PM (till 9:00). We went to the gingerbread show last year, and didn't have to pay a dime.

HTH

Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 PM

343 posts, read 573,969 times
Thumbs down Cross off the Christmas Tradition

We are from Charlotte and did not know we were not welcome at the Grove Park on the weekends. This is something our family always went to see during the holiday visit to our family.
We pulled up to the Inn and were told "We have 1000 reservations for dinner tonight and we could exit this way." I informed the gentleman that we only were going to be here this weekend and he repeated, "You can exit this way." We will cross this place off our list of holiday traditions.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM

10,762 posts, read 15,029,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
We are from Charlotte and did not know we were not welcome at the Grove Park on the weekends. This is something our family always went to see during the holiday visit to our family.
We pulled up to the Inn and were told "We have 1000 reservations for dinner tonight and we could exit this way." I informed the gentleman that we only were going to be here this weekend and he repeated, "You can exit this way." We will cross this place off our list of holiday traditions.
That does seem harsh.... I'd suggest writing a letter to the management describing your experience. (You didn't say if you were going there for dinner or not; but on such a busy weekend, it may have been a good idea to call ahead.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina