U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 AM

426 posts, read 927,205 times

Advertisements

..Morning... I woke up wondering, "How does a Home Inspector inspect the roof & exterior of a home in the middle of winter with snow?" Anyway with us back in negotiations again and it is a STRONG possibility that we will could be up in W. NC looking for a home smack dag in the middle of winter. Do you have a Home Inspector that you would refer ...also does the WDO & Termite? We are looking around Asheville (10 miles or so out) and Boone (10 miles or so out). I believe when I was reading a post somewhere that the sellers pay for the Home Inspection for the buyer...is that so?

We still LOVE W.NC and that is where we are mostly looking. However... we are looking into other areas to see if we get more for the $$. Adding in now some parts of E. Tn. People have suggested N. Ga.... but hubby doesn't want that. I know nothing about N. Ga.

Do properties go off the market in the winter? I am thinking yes. I told hubby when we are certain it will all take place and we can seriously look I will get with a REALTOR to look into their MLS for Expired, Withdrawn & Off Market properties to see if the sellers still want to sell. And maybe take a look at a Short Sale/Foreclosure list. We have even been looking on the FSBO sites...and Craigslist too.

We need a bit of land @ least an ac., that will allow us to have an outbuilding (or already have one) ...as we have a tractor, bulldozer & loader. Subdivisions won't allow that. I am a REALTOR so I can't be too far from a decent town/small city. We do want a cabin or wood sided home (preference, not set in stone). I have to admit I am not loving the idea of having to redo my licensing.......but if God brings you to it...he'll get you through it!

Again........it is in God's Hands this whole Buy Out.........thanks for your continued prayers! Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM

5,362 posts, read 6,492,706 times
East TN has advantages: no state income tax, TNCARE state health care if that is of value to you, low property taxes, low cost of housing, low cost of living, centers of health care & cities within a reasonable drive. Gas taxes are lower than NC. It is pretty in a rural agricultural way and has nice lakes. There are 3 state universities in ET and many private colleges.

I went to college in middle tennessee and truly believe that Tennesseeans are truly wonderful people and there was a reason so many volunteered to help at the Alamo. As with anywhere, if you come in with the right attitude, people will be kind hearted.

My sister and mother live in Knoxville and there are a lot of things to do there and in Oak Ridge. But I would not want to live in east tn myself, for personal preferences more than anything. Middle tenn maybe. The things I don't like so much are related to the lay of the land. It is mostly plateau, hills, gaps, bluffs, river valley, and leading to steep mountains. Chattanooga area is beautiful, Cumberland Gap area is beautiful, and Knoxville and Townsend have quick entries into the Smokey Mountains. And they are all different. It was/is great farm & horse country and I can see how many of my ancestors left WNC to go to ET so they could have more tillable land.

Since I am from WNC, when/if I go home it would be to go home so I wouldn't consider ET or NGA but they are both fine for someone from somewhere else and looking for a nice affordable place to live. Also, Upstate SC would be a great option. The 'Blue Wall' near Clemson University and Lake Hartwell are beautiful. you may want to give them all a look before you decide.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM

652 posts, read 1,240,086 times
Some properties do go off the market in winter. Some people that are going to put their house on the market, and are ready to do so in the winter wait until the spring. It is a yearly ritual, as you suspected.

I you want the recommendation of a realtor who'd be glad to help, just shoot me a direct message.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 PM

I have a Realtor contact in Waynesville & Murphy..........other areas are up for grabs ;0) I figured some of the homes that could be for sale are not at the moment. Anyway we may not have to worry about snow/winter if the buyout drags out longer. It could end up we are there in the Spring! Which would be great and I have never been to the mountains in spring time yet. We have only made it there in Summer & fall so far. In the meantime we are looking and researching. Do you know if a seller typically pays for the buyers home inspections? Thanks! Donna

Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,490,833 times
Buyer pays the inspector, because the inspector is working for the buyer. You wouldn't want an inspector who is working for the seller.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

729 posts, read 1,214,674 times
Yes, some houses go off the market in the winter. It's not very common but if you have a steep driveway, don't want to be bothered through the holidays, etc, then a person will give it a rest for a while. As for the home inspections, there is rarely snow on the roof for more than a day or two so it's not a problem to inspect. Snow typically doesn't stick around here unless you are on the north side of the mountain and even then sun will melt it off pretty quick. The buyer should pay for the inspector as the inspector is working or them although with FHA, VA and similar loans it is not uncommon to ask the seller to pay a percentage of the closing costs. This typically means your offer offer increases a bit though to make up for that expense.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 AM

863 posts, read 1,061,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
..Morning... I woke up wondering, "How does a Home Inspector inspect the roof & exterior of a home in the middle of winter with snow?" Anyway with us back in negotiations again and it is a STRONG possibility that we will could be up in W. NC looking for a home smack dag in the middle of winter. Do you have a Home Inspector that you would refer ...also does the WDO & Termite? We are looking around Asheville (10 miles or so out) and Boone (10 miles or so out). I believe when I was reading a post somewhere that the sellers pay for the Home Inspection for the buyer...is that so?
Hey Donna, I bought in N. Asheville last Winter. Snow was on the roof for a total of about four days. I had no issues with my home inspector, who is located in Hendersonville and covers Asheville. Boone would probably be too far. dalehansen@advantageinspection.com

Escrow didn't require termite inspection, but I had one done by Terminex. They charged $75. I can't recall what Dale Hansen charged. He also conducted the required Radon testing.

I bought a FSBO and everything went through without a hitch. My real estate attorney is Norman C. Riddle (828) 658-0077.

You can check out and get on email list for new listings of Fannie Mae repo's at Homepath.com

Best to you on your move. Bob

Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks all! I am so not sure where on the site...but I swore I read the seller paid for the home inspection. No biggee as here in FL...the buyer pays for it. Usually we do a WDO/Termite too. Sometimes VA/FHA will require a septic and well inspection too. I think once we know for sure all is a go...I will see about Withdrawn, expired and off market listings to see if they still want to sell. My hubby is bummed by the lack of selection we are finding online now. OK...keep in mind...he is not your typical buyer. We have heavy equipment (Loader, Bulldozer & tractors).... we have to have a bit of land and subdivisions won't allow these. So that limits us to what is available for our needs. Me...price and location are key. I will have to redo my Licensing for NC..... I am not worried about that.... I have to not be too far out in BFE so I can sell. I am also an artist...........can't wait to start painting again once we are settled! Thank you for your continued prayers...........it is a week since our appraisals were done..........we should know something soon and GOD willing they do the right thing and we can be on our way soon! Thanks! Donna

Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM

10,762 posts, read 15,029,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
Thanks all! I am so not sure where on the site...but I swore I read the seller paid for the home inspection. No biggee as here in FL...the buyer pays for it. Usually we do a WDO/Termite too. Sometimes VA/FHA will require a septic and well inspection too. I think once we know for sure all is a go...I will see about Withdrawn, expired and off market listings to see if they still want to sell. My hubby is bummed by the lack of selection we are finding online now. OK...keep in mind...he is not your typical buyer. We have heavy equipment (Loader, Bulldozer & tractors).... we have to have a bit of land and subdivisions won't allow these. So that limits us to what is available for our needs. Me...price and location are key. I will have to redo my Licensing for NC..... I am not worried about that.... I have to not be too far out in BFE so I can sell. I am also an artist...........can't wait to start painting again once we are settled! Thank you for your continued prayers...........it is a week since our appraisals were done..........we should know something soon and GOD willing they do the right thing and we can be on our way soon! Thanks! Donna

Donna, buyer pays for all home inspections, termite, radon, etc. Buyer and seller each pay their own closing costs. Why aren't you using a Realtor? Without access to our MLS system, you are shooting fish in a barrel with off the market listings; and shortchanging yourself. There are some excellent Realtors here.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Donna, buyer pays for all home inspections, termite, radon, etc. Buyer and seller each pay their own closing costs. Why aren't you using a Realtor? Without access to our MLS system, you are shooting fish in a barrel with off the market listings; and shortchanging yourself. There are some excellent Realtors here.

I will once we get up there........

Depends on the area we decide on...I have 2 Realtors I have been in contact for a couple of years. Definitely won't do it without one. I am not licensed there either. I was asking about the off market listings as a way of adding more to what could be available IF the sellers are still interested in selling. To give us more selection. That is where the NC will Realtor will be of help in finding out. I do that here too. Our inventory is VERY low in my area of Fl. I have been contacting EXP & WDN listing/sellers to see if they still want to sell. Yes for possible listings for me too......mostly to try to find additional properties for my buyers. Thanks Quilter Chick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina