U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM

469 posts, read 666,379 times

Advertisements

Once we sell our bed & breakfast here in Abilene, Texas, we plan on moving to Asheville. I've done a huge spreadsheet comparing cities that have what we want, and the clincher was the fact that Asheville is a top ten tennis town, since I play a lot. Asheville already had my heart, though. I visited a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. Another thing -- when I was 21 in 1979, I read about Asheville somewhere, perhaps Parade magazine, and really wanted to live there. I joined the military the next year, and put Asheville as my number one choice on my dream sheet. Of course, I didn't know there weren't any bases there at the time.

Anyway, hopefully we'll be there by next summer. We'll buy a small house in north or west Asheville. I'll be doing some volunteer work, but my wife will want a job. She has 20 years of orthodontic experience as a technician/supervisor, if anyone knows of any offices that need hard workers. She's really good working with kids. She also would be open to gardening/nursery work, as she loves that also.

We're really excited about the mountains, the food (especially French Broad Chocolates!), and living somewhere that has four seasons. Been pulling up Zillow every other day, looking at houses. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 AM

358 posts, read 657,055 times
Why are you leaving Abilene? I've heard its the prettiest town you've ever seen and the people don't treat you mean.
I am partial to North of Asheville, Weaverville to be precise. Quieter than south with less sprawl and only 15 minutes from Asheville. If shopping is your thing south would be better.
Any job in the medical field should be reasonably easy to find but others are more equipped to answer that.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
Why are you leaving Abilene? I've heard its the prettiest town you've ever seen and the people don't treat you mean.
I am partial to North of Asheville, Weaverville to be precise. Quieter than south with less sprawl and only 15 minutes from Asheville. If shopping is your thing south would be better.
Any job in the medical field should be reasonably easy to find but others are more equipped to answer that.
We're leaving Abilene because it's hot, flat, and ultra-conservative. The only reason we moved back here was because of family, but some of them are leaving now. It wasn't a good reason to begin with, since there's so little here we like. We've lived all over, working for the Air Force, but Asheville will be the first place we've desired to go to.

Weaverville looks nice, but probably a little too far out for us. Woodfin is probably as far out as we'd want to go. We really haven't even decided whether we want to live as close to town as possible in something small or out a ways on a large lot. There are certainly advantages to both.

Shopping isn't my thing, but it's somewhat my wife's thing. Actually she's more of a junker/antiquer.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM

10,768 posts, read 15,037,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
We're leaving Abilene because it's hot, flat, and ultra-conservative. The only reason we moved back here was because of family, but some of them are leaving now. It wasn't a good reason to begin with, since there's so little here we like. We've lived all over, working for the Air Force, but Asheville will be the first place we've desired to go to.

Weaverville looks nice, but probably a little too far out for us. Woodfin is probably as far out as we'd want to go. We really haven't even decided whether we want to live as close to town as possible in something small or out a ways on a large lot. There are certainly advantages to both.

Shopping isn't my thing, but it's somewhat my wife's thing. Actually she's more of a junker/antiquer.

Bilbono, try using www.Realtor.com You will have many more choices and area information; plus up to date listings. The Zillow and Trulia websites etc., are not as up to date and you won't the skinny on the different developments, subdivisions and the basic vibe of the small towns. Avoid the Realtor's own websites though that ask you to "register" in order to look at their listings. Most do not; but I'm sure you know that is how they get your information and if you don't want to be bothered, and don't want to choose an agent just yet, you are free to search many large and small office websites.

Not sure how long it has been since you have visited the area; but if it has been awhile, you really should spend a week or two here before making that big decision on where to move to. Weaverville is not considered "far out" here; it's a darling town and great highway and interstate access; and access to downtown Asheville and medical facilities. You might also want to consider Waynesville, west of Asheville, but further out than Weaverville relatively speaking. A crafts, antiques, and arts mecca exists in the Waynesville areas.

Also, if you haven't considered being a bit south of Asheville, consider Hendersonville, Mills River, Fletcher, the Cane Creek area near Fairview etc. There is no lack of things to do within a 20 mile or less radius of Asheville. Do your searches by "County" for the most part. Henderson County, Buncombe County etc., and then the advanced search by town.

Best of luck to you !

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Bilbono, try using www.Realtor.com You will have many more choices and area information; plus up to date listings. The Zillow and Trulia websites etc., are not as up to date and you won't the skinny on the different developments, subdivisions and the basic vibe of the small towns. Avoid the Realtor's own websites though that ask you to "register" in order to look at their listings. Most do not; but I'm sure you know that is how they get your information and if you don't want to be bothered, and don't want to choose an agent just yet, you are free to search many large and small office websites.

Not sure how long it has been since you have visited the area; but if it has been awhile, you really should spend a week or two here before making that big decision on where to move to. Weaverville is not considered "far out" here; it's a darling town and great highway and interstate access; and access to downtown Asheville and medical facilities. You might also want to consider Waynesville, west of Asheville, but further out than Weaverville relatively speaking. A crafts, antiques, and arts mecca exists in the Waynesville areas.

Also, if you haven't considered being a bit south of Asheville, consider Hendersonville, Mills River, Fletcher, the Cane Creek area near Fairview etc. There is no lack of things to do within a 20 mile or less radius of Asheville. Do your searches by "County" for the most part. Henderson County, Buncombe County etc., and then the advanced search by town.

Best of luck to you !
Thanks, Quilter Chick. I've been using realtor.com since its inception and just recently started using zillow, as it appeared to me to have more up to date information. I could certainly be wrong, though. Do you have any unbiased links that compare the two?

As I stated in my original post, a couple of years ago I visited for a week. Weaverville may not be considered far out, but it's too far out for us, which of course is a relative thing. Let me clarify what I meant by "close to town or a ways out". Close to town for our purposes would be west Asheville or inside the loop. A ways out for our purposes would be inside of a line from Woodfin, to the intersection of Leicester Hwy/Mt. Carmel Rd., to east Candler. Ideally, I'd like to be as close to Aston Park Tennis Center as possible, but in reality we'll end up in a house that's acceptable to my wife within the boundaries I mentioned above.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM

10,768 posts, read 15,037,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Thanks, Quilter Chick. I've been using realtor.com since its inception and just recently started using zillow, as it appeared to me to have more up to date information. I could certainly be wrong, though. Do you have any unbiased links that compare the two?

As I stated in my original post, a couple of years ago I visited for a week. Weaverville may not be considered far out, but it's too far out for us, which of course is a relative thing. Let me clarify what I meant by "close to town or a ways out". Close to town for our purposes would be west Asheville or inside the loop. A ways out for our purposes would be inside of a line from Woodfin, to the intersection of Leicester Hwy/Mt. Carmel Rd., to east Candler. Ideally, I'd like to be as close to Aston Park Tennis Center as possible, but in reality we'll end up in a house that's acceptable to my wife within the boundaries I mentioned above.
Don't know about any unbiased "links" per se that compares websites; even the allegedly "unbiased" links may not be unbiased, it could just be marketing techniques.

Not sure if being a recently retired western NC Realtor would be considered "unbiased" , but most folks on here that I've connected with seem to think so. That being said, I can confirm that each listing entered into the Western NC MLS system, according to MLS rules, is uploaded directly to Realtor.com (in less than 24 hrs) via MLS. You may find that some listings which are actually "pending" sales are still on the Zillow type websites because only closed sales are removed from MLS and MLS feeds Zillow and Trulia. The Realtor.com information IS the most recent in either case.

Pending sales are subject to many factors, such as buyers' due diligence dates required in NC. A sale is never "sold" and fully removed from MLS until the closing takes place. Likewise, the individual agent's/office websites may or may not show "pending" information because the contract terms have not been fully met; and they will continue to show the property at the seller's request. Sometimes a seller requests that a "sale pending" notice be put into the MLS if they are confident enough and at that point it will show up. Sometimes those properties reappear as "back on the market" if the sale falls through. Most offices do not put pending sales in the MLS until all contingencies are met and signed off; at which point it can be considered pending and is uploaded as such the same way all entries into the western NC MLS system are. That is why you might see something on Zillow etc. which looks active, but is actually in "pending limbo". Due diligence dates can be confusing and long term; the contract isn't fully solid/pending until all inspections etc. are satisfied and signed off on, and only then is a closing date scheduled.

The best way to judge the area and the current market is to come back for at least one week and look at properties within your parameters. From experience most agents have experienced buyers who narrow down a radius area too finely, and eliminate properties that fit their requirements but are just outside the margin where it would have taken only a few more minutes of driving to their favorite tennis court or health club or whatever their passion is. The best example here in the mountains are buyers who are relocating from other states and want to park an RV or motorhome on their own property. Well, as the terrain goes, not all properties are suitable or certain subdivisions won't allow that; and generally RV storage is relatively inexpensive, under $50 a month. So my example is if you only want flat land for example, or a tennis club, you may be eliminating that perfect house that you pass up looking at, and not be happy in a year or so. Flexibility here is important; day to day living is very different than the first impression from a vacation. Come and stay awhile longer.

There are many threads on this forum about Asheville and the surrounding small towns and lifestyle; it's a matter of finding your "sweet spot".

Hope this information is helpful to you and that I haven't been too long winded.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Don't know about any unbiased "links" per se that compares websites; even the allegedly "unbiased" links may not be unbiased, it could just be marketing techniques.

Not sure if being a recently retired western NC Realtor would be considered "unbiased" , but most folks on here that I've connected with seem to think so. That being said, I can confirm that each listing entered into the Western NC MLS system, according to MLS rules, is uploaded directly to Realtor.com (in less than 24 hrs) via MLS. You may find that some listings which are actually "pending" sales are still on the Zillow type websites because only closed sales are removed from MLS and MLS feeds Zillow and Trulia. The Realtor.com information IS the most recent in either case.

Pending sales are subject to many factors, such as buyers' due diligence dates required in NC. A sale is never "sold" and fully removed from MLS until the closing takes place. Likewise, the individual agent's/office websites may or may not show "pending" information because the contract terms have not been fully met; and they will continue to show the property at the seller's request. Sometimes a seller requests that a "sale pending" notice be put into the MLS if they are confident enough and at that point it will show up. Sometimes those properties reappear as "back on the market" if the sale falls through. Most offices do not put pending sales in the MLS until all contingencies are met and signed off; at which point it can be considered pending and is uploaded as such the same way all entries into the western NC MLS system are. That is why you might see something on Zillow etc. which looks active, but is actually in "pending limbo". Due diligence dates can be confusing and long term; the contract isn't fully solid/pending until all inspections etc. are satisfied and signed off on, and only then is a closing date scheduled.

The best way to judge the area and the current market is to come back for at least one week and look at properties within your parameters. From experience most agents have experienced buyers who narrow down a radius area too finely, and eliminate properties that fit their requirements but are just outside the margin where it would have taken only a few more minutes of driving to their favorite tennis court or health club or whatever their passion is. The best example here in the mountains are buyers who are relocating from other states and want to park an RV or motorhome on their own property. Well, as the terrain goes, not all properties are suitable or certain subdivisions won't allow that; and generally RV storage is relatively inexpensive, under $50 a month. So my example is if you only want flat land for example, or a tennis club, you may be eliminating that perfect house that you pass up looking at, and not be happy in a year or so. Flexibility here is important; day to day living is very different than the first impression from a vacation. Come and stay awhile longer.

There are many threads on this forum about Asheville and the surrounding small towns and lifestyle; it's a matter of finding your "sweet spot".

Hope this information is helpful to you and that I haven't been too long winded.
Thanks again, Quilter Chick. We'll try to be flexible.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM

4,227 posts, read 8,041,856 times
Bilbono,
Imo, the QC is really on the ball with info, suggestions and opins.

Fwiw, we made a few dozen trips to western NC, TN, etc, mostly western NC, looking and looking and more looking. We wanted to build back then, in 2000, so that is a different deal with a different set of hurdles, but my point is there are literally dozens of towns, areas, even areas of A'ville to look at.

None of that will take place in a week, unless one is a lotto winner, is smitten with what they 'see', or is compelled to 'find it' in a short time.

You will like/love western NC, and I wish you well...have been in Abilene a few times: not bad, but not my bag.
GL, mD

Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Bilbono,
Imo, the QC is really on the ball with info, suggestions and opins.

Fwiw, we made a few dozen trips to western NC, TN, etc, mostly western NC, looking and looking and more looking. We wanted to build back then, in 2000, so that is a different deal with a different set of hurdles, but my point is there are literally dozens of towns, areas, even areas of A'ville to look at.

None of that will take place in a week, unless one is a lotto winner, is smitten with what they 'see', or is compelled to 'find it' in a short time.

You will like/love western NC, and I wish you well...have been in Abilene a few times: not bad, but not my bag.
GL, mD
Thanks, mD. We certainly aren't going to rush into anything. We'll stay in short-term housing at first. I've moved 30 times in my life, so I've pretty much got this moving thing down, I hope. However, this will be the first time I haven't moved due to a job or family. I've already spent dozens of hours researching Asheville and the nearby towns. We're pretty sure of the area we want to live in, but we also want to be open to new information and things we may have overlooked. It's really nice to have this board and people like you and QC on it who are both knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,362,134 times
Asheville Racquet Club is located in South Asheville and the Downtown area. I'm right next to the South location and the people here love it. There's even a partnership with the apartments beside of ARC where you get a discount on the basic membership and can upgrade all the way to the full access pass.

This is also a good location that's not too far from the major medical centers like Mission. It's also close to the shopping that another poster referred to.

Just a heads up since I know you said you like tennis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina