Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,721 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I just accepted a position at the Asheville VA hospital and my husband and I will be moving in January 2013 hopefully!
We are going to visit next weekend for the first time to scope out the area for a place to rent.
I know, it sounds weird moving to a place I haven't even visited, but it's been ok for me so far. Heck, I moved from Florida to an Indian Reservation in Arizona without visiting and stayed 3 years!
We do not wish to buy at this time, because we'd like to feel out the area first without making such a huge commitment.

We just got married and would like to start out new life here. I enjoy performing arts, music. I love to travel and see whatever I can! He's more into sports and is a homebody.
Neither of us are outdoorsy, but I'm open to it!

Mostly, we'd like to find a nice neighborhood to rent in and possibly start having a family in for the next 3-5 years.
We'd also like to continue our new lifestyle changes of working out and eating organic.

Does anybody have any CSA's or farms, stores, etc they'd recommend?
Does anyone have any apartment complexes they'd recommend, or NOT recommend?

We are looking for a 2 bedroom under $1200.

I know this is a vague unspecific posting, but just wanted to throw it out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,245,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzrx View Post
Hi all!
I just accepted a position at the Asheville VA hospital and my husband and I will be moving in January 2013 hopefully!
We are going to visit next weekend for the first time to scope out the area for a place to rent.
I know, it sounds weird moving to a place I haven't even visited, but it's been ok for me so far. Heck, I moved from Florida to an Indian Reservation in Arizona without visiting and stayed 3 years!
We do not wish to buy at this time, because we'd like to feel out the area first without making such a huge commitment.

We just got married and would like to start out new life here. I enjoy performing arts, music. I love to travel and see whatever I can! He's more into sports and is a homebody.

Mostly, we'd like to find a nice neighborhood to rent in and possibly start having a family in for the next 3-5 years.
We'd also like to continue our new lifestyle changes of working out and eating organic.

I know this is a vague unspecific posting, but just wanted to throw it out there!
Here is a rundown on local AVL area CSA's from our beloved Mountain Xpress: Let the CSA's begin | Mountain Xpress | Asheville, NC

Lots to do and explore here. Lots of Farmer's Markets, which are called Tailgate Market's here. Of course, things slow down in winter months. Here is a list of TG Mkts: Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project - Mountain Tailgate Market Association

North, South, East and West Asheville are each distinct having their own personalities. As does downtown.

You may want to check out Black Mountain area, about 15 minutes from downtown AVL via I-40, and the VA Hospital is about halfway between Black Mountain and Downtown AVL.

Due to proximitey of UNCA to downtown, I suspect you'd have a problem easily finding housing in your proce point near downtown/UNCA area due to student need. Not to say it couldn't be done, just slim pickin's that go fast. Fairview would be a good place with it's easy and quick access to VA Hosp, downtown, I-40, Blue Ridge Pkwy. & beyond. As is true in most areas, the further from downtown, the more you'll get for your money.

For rentals, Craigslist Asheville, Mountain Xpresss Classifieds, Asheville Backpage, IWANNA are good sources. Also Alpha Real Estate: Alpha Real Estate offers full service property management in Asheville, NC. Pet friendly vacation and long term rentals. Houses, apartments and condos for rent.

There are a few co op stores- which I haven't been to. One is downtown on Biltmore Ave. a few doors sourth of The Fine Arts Theater (our best place to watch indie films).

Check out Amazing Savings with two locations... one downtown hidden inside the Downtoan Market on french broad ave. and one on Swannanoa River road heading out of Biltmore Village on 25 toward I-40. Also, Warren Wilson College in Black Mountain may be a source for organic food...

Good luck on your move/transfer. I moved to Asheville 18 months ago from San Diego and I'm still loving it.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,271,334 times
I grew up in Black Mountain. My Dad and some of my friends' Dads worked at the VA. Good arrangement all the way around.

I was in Black Mountain twice recently looking for a retirement home and am concerned to see Black Mountain looking so shabby once you get away from the expensive newer housing. And how expensive. So I left with nothing both times. either rent or buy.

Bottom line, if you can find a home that meets your needs in the Swannanoa Valley that would be great.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,425,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzrx View Post
Hi all!

Look into Weaverville or Fletcher. If you are planning to rent,check www.apartmentguide.com

also the local newspapers: Mountain XPress, orf www.citizen-times.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina