U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM

3,138 posts, read 6,909,699 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are still about 8 years away from retirement. We're looking for a nice high elevation mountain town in NC to check out over Christmas break for a possible retirement home. The three communities I listed appear to have what we're looking for. We have visited Black Mountain and LOVED it there.

Can any local give me the lowdown on Highlands, Cashiers and Lake Glenville? We want mountain ambiance. Cold or snowy winters are not an issue and not a negative for us. Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,109,649 times
Highlands is a little too snooty for my tastes.

If you are a 1%'er or blue blood, you would fit in just fine.

Plus the only roads in and out of the place are downright dangerous in snow/icy conditions.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,894 posts, read 3,708,413 times
My wife and I stayed in Highlands for a weekend in July for our anniversary. Hmm...not exactly what I remember from trips up the mountain years ago.

Really the only thing I like about Highlands is the summer climate. You'll fit right in if your over 60 and/or your net worth is well above $1 million. Lastly (and really frustrating), nearly all stores/activities (of course, with the exception of some upscale restaurants) close at 5pm. Nothing to do after dinner!

Highlands, NC is the exact opposite of Asheville - there is MUCH more Atlanta influence on Highlands than any part of North Carolina.

As eluded to above, Highlands is very isolated - I can't imagine driving on their roads in the winter - yikes!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM

3,138 posts, read 6,909,699 times
Wow... thanks for the info. I didn't realize Highlands had that snooty label, definitely not me. And I'm sure (in fact, know) that many people live there who aren't millionaires. There's plenty of homes under 400K there. A millionaire wouldn't slum it like that...!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,615,851 times
Highlands/Cashiers tends to come to a halt during the winter months too. A lot of stores have limited hours and things really slow down as a lot of people have a second home in florida or elsewhere. Something else you might want to consider.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Wow... thanks for the info. I didn't realize Highlands had that snooty label, definitely not me. And I'm sure (in fact, know) that many people live there who aren't millionaires. There's plenty of homes under 400K there. A millionaire wouldn't slum it like that...!
Considering the lack of jobs in the area that pay more than minimum wage, the fact that you find 400k homes should tell you that the people living there are from elsewhere, or old money, or both

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Highlands/Cashiers tends to come to a halt during the winter months too. A lot of stores have limited hours and things really slow down as a lot of people have a second home in florida or elsewhere. Something else you might want to consider.
Yep, already started.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM

377 posts, read 431,488 times
I work in both Highlands and Cashiers, and agree with all that has been said. They are primarily second-home communities populated by folks from Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia. What little there is to do, outside of outdoor activities, can be seasonal and expensive. As for Glenville- there isn't really a town there.

Last edited by Susieisanartist; 11-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Included a reply to something never asked

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM

4,225 posts, read 8,040,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My husband and I are still about 8 years away from retirement.

Planning is good, but 8 years is a long time; 8 yrs ago one would have had to stand in line and bid high for a good 'retirement home' in many areas of NC, and the building boom was in full/over speed. Not being critical, but there are dozens of similar posts here a month ranging from, "I am moving to Asheville area next week", to "thinking about moving to western NC in several years". Both extremes are vague, imo.

We're looking for a nice high elevation mountain town in NC...there are literally dozens+ of areas, towns, communities within towns, etc. to check out over Christmas break for a possible retirement home. The three communities I listed appear to have what we're looking for. Both Highlands & Cashiers have midgey downtowns, with a plethora of 'communities' surrounding them, sprinkled among the slopes and peaks. We have visited Black Mountain and LOVED it there. Why not include BM, if you "loved it there"?

Can any local give me the lowdown on Highlands, Cashiers and Lake Glenville? We want mountain ambiance. Cold or snowy winters are not an issue and not a negative for us. Thank you in advance!
I repeat: there are dozens of towns & areas. As real winter doesn't seem to be a deterrent, you should look at some of the higher elevation locations in addition to H, Cash, et al. And, if you gave us an idea of your interests, hobbies, et al, it helps most of us responders to narrow down recommendations, eg golf is important, homebodies, outside stuff, etc. Agree with other posters that H & C are summer towns, and while Glenville and area are very pretty, with lake etc, it is remote for even a loaf of bread.
My 50Cts...GL, mD

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM

10,764 posts, read 15,033,253 times
Here's my 25 cents worth to the OP. 8 years is wayyy out there.

Vacation in the area for awhile, especially come in the winter! and make a decision one year before you retire. Life and likes can change drastically in an 8 year stretch. Many come here and dream of living on top of a mountain without realizing what is involved. Then several move downhill after an average of 2 years because they cannot handle the conditions. (There are exceptions, of course, but not many.) You don't see the natives and their families living on top of the world. They live in the valleys.

If you loved Black Mountain, you may also love Waynesville or Brevard.

Enjoy visiting and narrow down your choices; decision time would be about a year before you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina