U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM

108 posts, read 344,364 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Now that Thanksgiving is passed, I am hoping some discussion of Xmas is appropriate!
We are looking for somewhere for Xmas dinner. Last year was our first year without family
(and very strange). We went to Red Stag Grille in the Grande Bohemian, and they had a great
3 course prixe fix meal at "brunch time" (until 3 PM maybe?)... which was fine for us! I am not seeing
yet that they are doing that this year.
We are NOT looking for a fancy buffet (hate buffets). Want to sit down and be waited on, not
have strange food, and in the middle of the day (2 PM would be great).
Re: Biltmore... I am a passholder, but hubby is not, so I am thinking all Biltmore restaurants are out?
Appreciate any input!
Martha in Burnsville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,421,246 times
as far as I remember, you as a passholder can bring guests after 5pm to the village (at biltmore) without purchasing a ticket for them.

sorry, no input on the restaurants. But I am sure others have !

Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Thought I'd re-visit this, as I got so few replies. Made a reservation at the Bistro on Biltmore for 2:45. The woman who took the reservation said it was no problem driving
onto the Estate with a guest all day Xmas. Called them back to double check this, and indeed my hubby would have to spend $50 to get onto the Estate so that we could spend another $100+ to eat! So now Xmas is 5 days away and we have no where to go! Red Stag (where we went last year) isn't taking any more reservations. Any other ideas???
Martha (getting desperate in Burnsville)

Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM

119 posts, read 131,826 times
My boyfriend works at the Inn on the Biltmore and he says that yes you can bring a guest without buying a ticket for them. You have to be in the same car and you can not visit the house of course, but you can eat at any restaurant on the Estate. As long as you are a passholder.

Sorry for a late reply, but at least you know now for next year. The Inn and the Bistro are probably the most expensive places to eat.

As the PP said anything after 5pm. As my BF says, anyone could say they are only going to eat, but then walk the gardens. You would have to have a ticket then. I guess because you were wanting to go before 5pm, that is why you would need another ticket. Also it's their way of keeping track of visits.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM

we had the pleasure of receiving a gift certificate for the Grove park Inn from our kids and I have to admit ... I was kind of disappointed.

we sat at the sunset terrace, first thing .... it was really cold due all that open space and lots of people moving up and down in winter clothes, staring at your dinner plate and I had to wear my coat all the time (I usually find it pretty warm everywhere) - very festive sitting there with a coat ...
the menu had NO vegetarian option. they had a roasted duck bolognese and offered to just leave out the duck. sorry, that's a joke. I at least expect one or two vegetarian options if there are 15 options on the menu.

o, and what really made me upset .. they now have this $10 parking fee if you want to see the gingerbread houses. that is ok and understandable for me.
but you also have to pay if you have dinner reservations ... we had to park far away from the house, it was freezing cold and they at least should reimburse guests who spend $$$ for a dinner. don't get the concept and don't like it.
this for sure was a one time experience.
after that we went to jack of the woods, had great cocktails and it felt just good there lol. lesson learned. I am not made for fancy tourist places.

(but I am actually honored to announce that the Gallery of the Mountains inside the GPI will be selling my hand painted silk ties in 2014. and I did not have to pay $ 10 for parking when I had my appointment with the gallery )

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,822,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
Lesson learned. I am not made for fancy tourist places.

(but I am actually honored to announce that the Gallery of the Mountains inside the GPI will be selling my hand painted silk ties in 2014. and I did not have to pay $ 10 for parking when I had my appointment with the gallery
)
Sure you are. Grove Park is just doing it wrong. I'm sure other fancy places get it right.

Congrats on your ties!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

haha. I talked to several people in the meantime and they were all wondering, if this 'support locals' should not apply to the GPI as well.

o, and I am selling my ties there this year, 2013, not in 2014 lol. must have been the grinch who messed up those numbers. thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Just a little follow-up since I started this. There was apparently controversy about whether to let a passholder with guest onto
the Biltmore property before 5... the staff were getting mixed messages from management. Apparently it had been allowed for Thanksgiving, but they were backtracking for Xmas. In the end, they put our name on a list at the gate, and we got on no problem for our 2:45 reservation. We even took one of the dogs and walked all around Antler Village before. It was weird... just like any day; tons of people, shops open... like it wasn't even Xmas!
The meal at Bistro was excellent... we both had prime rib, which was awesome, and enough that I brought home a whole meals worth for the next day! Trying to think if there was a vegetarian option on the menu, and I don't remember one.
Not sure we will do the Bistro again... I could do without the drama (of whether we will get in or not), and the Estate with it's money grubbing ways irritates me.
We did find out that Bistro 1896 in town was open on Xmas, with many more menu selections and probably much less $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina