Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM

497 posts, read 963,421 times

Advertisements

We were snowed out last Christmas and now are planning to go this year. I have read mostly positive reviews, such as on Trip Advisor, but wanted some feedback from local recent experiences. We live 2 hours away in SWVA and come to AV occassionally. I realize the cost is $50+ each. What are your personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrynvirginia View Post
We were snowed out last Christmas and now are planning to go this year. I have read mostly positive reviews, such as on Trip Advisor, but wanted some feedback from local recent experiences. We live 2 hours away in SWVA and come to AV occassionally. I realize the cost is $50+ each. What are your personal experiences?

You're better off visiting the Grove Park Inn when there is an event going on, rather than dining there for the big $$. The food is highly overrated and hyped. In our experience, the best cooks and service people do not want to work on Christmas; they have enough seniority to be with their families. If you want a high end hotel try the Grand Bohemian downtown near Biltmore Village; also check the other threads on here for suggestions. Also check restaurants in the small towns around Asheville, there are some gems out there. www.bestofwnc.com may help as well. There is a nice restaurant at Highland Lake in Flat Rock/Hendersonville. "The Seasons" at Highland Lake. Never been disappointed, and we are foodies. Also, check Vincenzo's in downtown Asheville; the upstairs dining room is beautiful; the food and service among the best around. They also have a website. Enjoy !

Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM

221 posts, read 459,479 times
The ambiance and the views at the Grove Park are spectacular, and the buffet has lots of options that are nicely laid out. However, we have always found the food to be greatly underwhelming - average at best, no matter when we've gone. I have not been since the management changed, so hopefully the chefs have improved.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM

436 posts, read 666,814 times
Go for the view and drinks. Food is a very disappointing waste of money and calories. I came across the following on another discussion board:
"Also, visitors/diners need to be aware that GPI has now imposed a $10 parking fee from now through early January. That's regular parking spots, not valet or the garage (those fees are higher). And yes, it applies to everyone including people coming to dine at the restaurants. It is designed to "reduce the volume of people" coming to see the gingerbread house display."

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM

91 posts, read 305,843 times
QC does it again with a great review and that link www.bestofwnc.com is awesome. I wish I lived up there right now!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagadawgs View Post
QC does it again with a great review and that link www.bestofwnc.com is awesome. I wish I lived up there right now!

You'll be here before you know it ... time flies. Happy Holidays !

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM

91 posts, read 305,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You'll be here before you know it ... time flies. Happy Holidays !

Happy Holidays to you too QC!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

497 posts, read 963,421 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Are there any other than GPI ideas for Christmas dinner in Asheville, such as some homey old style buffet? We have the Martha Washington Inn in Abingdon, but they stopped having their Christmas buffet. Of course, most inns and restaurants understandbly want to be at home that day and not at work.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,477,372 times
Off topic, but I love the Martha Washington Inn.

.... back to the question on hand.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times
We visited Asheville at Christmas 2012, and ate at the Grove Park Inn for Christmas dinner. We REALLY enjoyed the entire experience! The food was very good....was it the very best I have ever eaten? Probably not,but,that being said, it was very good. The atmosphere was WONDERFUL! We wandered around the hotel before our appointed time to eat, looked at the gingerbread displays and the decor, and then relaxed after dinner on one of the porches for awhile. Every staff member we encountered was hospitable and friendly. We are planning to return for Christmas 2013! I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina