U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,894 posts, read 3,708,413 times

Advertisements

Asheville's popular Tupelo Honey Cafe plans to open its fourth location in the new $100 million ONE development in downtown Greenville, SC.

From the above article:
Steve Frabitore, owner of Tupelo Honey Cafe said, “Downtown Greenville is vibrant, dynamic, beautiful and thriving. When the Hughes Project Management team approached us about having a location at The ONE Project, we knew the site would be ideal. We’re incredibly excited to be a part of downtown Greenville.”

TH is expected to hire up to 90 people with an opening date of mid-late 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,816,096 times
This is great news for Greenville, but I hope Tupelo won't get too big and go down hill.

I saw it happen with more than one Dallas, Texas restaurant start-up that went big. It's hard to maintain exceptional quality on a large scale.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,216,452 times
that sux.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,615,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
This is great news for Greenville, but I hope Tupelo won't get too big and go down hill.

I think they went downhill when they were sold a few years ago. Since then we have had several bad experiences with waitstaff and food quality and I can't figure out why everyone raves about this place. About once every year or so I say oooh lets try again, and then am reminded why I don't go here. With so many other great local restaurants in Asheville, we choose to skip it. Just my opinion I suppose.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 AM

863 posts, read 1,061,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I think they went downhill when they were sold a few years ago. Since then we have had several bad experiences with waitstaff and food quality and I can't figure out why everyone raves about this place. About once every year or so I say oooh lets try again, and then am reminded why I don't go here. With so many other great local restaurants in Asheville, we choose to skip it. Just my opinion I suppose.
I've dined at the downtown and South Asheville restaurants and don't understand the appeal. Oversalted, overpriced. The South AVL store really feels like a chain to me. Now that I think of it, the only thing I like about the restaurant is what I liked before I ever walked through the door. It's the name. I like honey and the Van Morrision song.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM

652 posts, read 1,240,238 times
I live fairly close to the South Asheville Tupelo Honey and I rarely eat there. They haven't done anything wrong, but they are only slightly above "unremarkable." The menu is fairly stagnant. Every now and then they add something, and once in a while that peaks my interest. They have a pretty good black bean burger, and I like their fried chicken BLT. I think their breakfast menu is probably better than the rest. I can generally find a glass of wine there worth drinking, though, which is a plus.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,816,096 times
Meanwhile, on the Greenville, South Carolina forum, they're raving about Tupelo Honey.

Go figure.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,894 posts, read 3,708,413 times
Of course Asheville is a foodie haven - conversely, Greenville is just establishing itself (on the culinary scene). With this new, mixed-use development downtown, a "quality" regional restaurant was needed. I'd take Tupelo Honey over Cheesecake Factory any day of the week.

I completely agree with the above that an institution like Tupelo Honey can dilute itself with a push for expansion. Although not a genuine "farm-to-table" restaurant, I've read TH partners with local farms to supply its dishes with "natural, pesticide-free, locally grown products." Additionally, they serve only "‘free range organic eggs and chicken breasts". This type of restaurant is greatly needed in the Upstate (although not necessarily in downtown Greenville).

Lastly, there are 3,000 residents in downtown Greenville (with many more likely in the next decade) - and, very few breakfast options downtown - TH will make a fanstastic addition.

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-07-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina