U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM

177 posts, read 369,381 times

Advertisements

Perhaps someone can illuminate me on this subject. We've been here (Murphy) a year in January. We enjoy driving around and looking at the area but the road system in this part of the state is perplexing. We will drive miles down a 'State' road, as indicated on the road sign, only to have it end in a dead end, or sometimes in someone's driveway. Occasionally there will be a dead end sign, or no outlet sign but usually there is no warning at all.
Then there are the 'private' roads, as indicated again by the corner road signs. We stay off them entirely, as they are marked private.
I am hearing now that this means they aren't maintained by the state, so they are not actually private, as in NO Trespassing.
It's confusing, and I'm wondering if we are missing out on viewing some nice areas because we are observing these 'private' road signs.
Anyone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM

113 posts, read 203,185 times
I would at least ask for permission before joyriding on someone's private road.

Regardless of access rules and laws, the home/land-owners are solely responsible for the very expensive road upkeep and maintenance.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,750,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
Perhaps someone can illuminate me on this subject. We've been here (Murphy) a year in January. We enjoy driving around and looking at the area but the road system in this part of the state is perplexing. We will drive miles down a 'State' road, as indicated on the road sign, only to have it end in a dead end, or sometimes in someone's driveway. Occasionally there will be a dead end sign, or no outlet sign but usually there is no warning at all.
Then there are the 'private' roads, as indicated again by the corner road signs. We stay off them entirely, as they are marked private.
I am hearing now that this means they aren't maintained by the state, so they are not actually private, as in NO Trespassing.
It's confusing, and I'm wondering if we are missing out on viewing some nice areas because we are observing these 'private' road signs.
Anyone?

Word to the wise, do not trespass on any roads that say private... because that is exactly what they are. There are so many beautiful roads in Western NC that you can do exploring on, no need to venture into backwoods territory and take any chances. In some mountain areas, you might meet up with a shotgun or several watchdogs. Seriously. People are very territorial about their property here.

Try and get a few up to date road maps, print out maps from Google or MapQuest, or Bing ... or go to the County office and have them explain to you how the roads are marked. There is also GPS, but that is not always current in this area; many undisclosed and unmapped roads show up as dots.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,308,345 times
The roads in the neighborhood we live are technically private (for now), as they are maintained by he homeowners here. But, they are not posted as private and there are no restrictions on who uses them (although the don't go anywhere). I suppose someone could be asked to leave, and at that point they would be trespassing, but not before since they would have no reasonable way to know they are on a private road.

I would assume a road posted as "Private" should not be used by the owners and those granted access.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM

Our little sub-division has a street sign that indicates it as a private road, we all kick in to a road fund to maintain it, yearly. The sign at the corner has the name of the road, with the prefix PRI as opposed to other roads that have the prefix Sta. (I think that's how it goes) and it is a dead end, although there is no sign indicating that.
Other roads I've looked up on Google maps that are 'private' go on for miles. The GPS has directed us on them at times.
It's not like we are roaming into a gated community or such. I would venture to guess that the majority of the roads are marked private. At least in this area, anyway.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,750,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
Our little sub-division has a street sign that indicates it as a private road, we all kick in to a road fund to maintain it, yearly. The sign at the corner has the name of the road, with the prefix PRI as opposed to other roads that have the prefix Sta. (I think that's how it goes) and it is a dead end, although there is no sign indicating that.
Other roads I've looked up on Google maps that are 'private' go on for miles. The GPS has directed us on them at times.
It's not like we are roaming into a gated community or such. I would venture to guess that the majority of the roads are marked private. At least in this area, anyway.

If you're out exploring for views, etc., no need to go up private or what "looks like" private roads. The views are everywhere. Get up on the BR Parkway, but check w/the forest ranger office first. Or drive Rt. 64 into Franklin and beyond, Follow the river from the Nantahala Outdoor Center; drive around the lake at Nantahala, get a nice map of the waterfalls in your area. Neat. Visit Cades Cove. Etc. etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,565,048 times
If you venture down our way (Blairsville) the color of the street sign will tell you. If it's Green it's a public road and maintained by the county... if it's Blue, it's private. The most interesting thing we found was when using the GPS. Plain and simple, it doesn't work in the mountains. LOL. While it didn't particularly take us down private roads, it also would take us to a place and tell us... "Turn right, your destination is on the right." Wrong.. there would be no road and no destination.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks for that info about Blairsville, we seem to wind up there nearly every time we go out for a ride. We also got a dog from the rescue shelter there and the VA clinic is there too. I like that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina