Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Not exactly. There is a law on the books called "impeding the flow of traffic." It is not enforced often, but it has been for people that are driving at an unreasonable speed, causing traffic to stack up.

By default, that is the minimum speed is, S20-141(h)"No person shall operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic."

Every state I have lived in has a similar law, so people from other states should also be familiar with it.

As far as people obliterating the center line, that is not limited to mountain roads. It is rare that I drive anywhere that I don't run into somebody well over the double yellow line.

Not sure if there are any laws about the danged mopeds usually driven by those who have lost their driver's license because of DUI, etc. or underage drivers. They putt putt along at 20 mph, and are an absolute menace and put other drivers in danger, not only themselves. Evidently they don't have to be registered as "motor vehicles" because they have no tags.

I totally agree about the others who impede traffic. We happened to be behind a woman at "five points" in Hendersonville on 25N, when an elderly woman stopped right in the middle of the road, beyond the green traffic light, because she was confused about where she was going. Traffic coming at her from 5 directions, and she plumb stopped. She could hardly see over the steering wheel of a big old Buick LeSabre, and basically "gave up". A gentleman got out of his car to help her decide where she needed to go, and she was on her way. These people are accidents looking for someplace to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,072 times
...yeah.. I am sure this will be me when we finally move to W. NC...from flat boring Fl. I will keep in mind the pull overs when driving so I don't cause a parade behind me if I am in my car or driving my motorcycle........... ;0) Donna

Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
A rather pointless discussion that I can add a few too. I've lived in a heavily traveled tourist city, inner city of New Orleans, even in the French Quarter, and now in the more rugged than AVL rural mountains of SWVA. Whether it's tourists or farm tractors or some people driving on real icy roads, it's about respecting who your fellow drivers are and being defensive, rather than offensive. I wouldn't be too upset with slow driving tourists as they are in part the basis of your economy. The more the better. Last week we drove back from Roanoke on I-81 with snow on top of ice watching all the hurried unfamiliar drivers going by way too fast. Yep, at the bottom of the mountain numerous wrecked cars off the road and people on the way to the ER. It's more about being familiar with where you're driving. Can't get to where you want to go fast enough? Move closer to work.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I was recently driving south on Hwy 221 between Linville Falls and Linville Caverns. Was 4th in line behind a large motor home, with more behind me, and was pleasantly surprised when the driver pulled off in the marked, designated slow traffic pull-off area. I can't count the number of times I've been similar situations on that highway when the lead driver ignored the signage.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
I got behind a line of backed-up drivers on a narrow back road. The problem was a guy driving on the road on a lawn tractor pulling a wagon with his wife in it. Now that's country living.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have wondered for years why tailgating isn't declared a violation deserving of a ticket.
I had an acquaintance in highschool who got a ticket for tailgating so NC has some kind of law on the books its just rarely enforced. It could have been just cited as aggressive driving but it made me laugh.

I've noticed people seem to have some kind of issue with others passing them. Wouldn't you rather people pass on by doing the speed limit vs tailgating you because you are going 20 under? It seems worse in SC too...not sure if they aren't taught that the left lane is for passing in drivers ed or what.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
I always use the pull-outs or the "slow lanes" (like on 105 going torwards Linville) because I'm well aware that my car doesn't climb mountains very well. I wish I had the money for a better vehicle.

However, I absolutely HATE when people tailgate on the Parkway. Usually I'll pull into an overlook rather than speed up for them. I usually stay the speed limit. If you're in a hurry on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you've COMPLETELY and tragically missed the point.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
Well, I drive on average 1000 miles per week with my job, and I've been on both sides. When I get behind a slow driver, I try to just deep breathe and give them plenty of space. I don't want them to worry about me rear-ending them if they slow down even more to pull over. I have a company car, and if I get a speeding ticket or get in an accident where I'm at fault, I will lose my job. So on those winding roads & I'm going the speed limit or 5 miles over & I have a cling-on on my bum per(which happens all the time), those pullovers come up quick & if I slam on my brake to pull in & the cling-on isn't paying attention, I could get hit. I wouldn't lose my job, but what a pain that would be. So I don't pull over. If I were going half the speed limit, I'd have time & safety to pull over, but I'm not going slow enough to make it.

Bad cling-ons! ;-)

Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
So on those winding roads & I'm going the speed limit or 5 miles over & I have a cling-on on my bum per(which happens all the time), those pullovers come up quick & if I slam on my brake to pull in & the cling-on isn't paying attention, I could get hit.

Bad cling-ons! ;-)
DOWN WITH CLING-ONS!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
SUSIE, I so agree with you about someone making a line of cars go really slow because they are unsure or uneasy on that particular part of the roadway. And I REALLY agree with the Parkway thing... tailgatingon the Parkway is absolutely WRONG WRONG WRONG, even if it's someone using a section to get to work. Once a woman in a sports car and a fellow drunk passenger were so close to me I knew it would only take one small mistake for her to crash into me. So, at least on the Parkway there are pull-offs here and there, so I pulled over very fast, and let her go afer I got over my 19th nervous breakdown. In fact, tailgating is an extremely bad habit, but I have a couple tips that will usually get someone to back off. One is to tap your brakes. Brake again, then again. They will usually always back up several car lengths, I guess to protect themselves from someone who just might slam on brakes to pull into a driveway they're looking for.

Whenever I get behind a slow driver, I go slow, too. I give them plenty of room. And yes, on many mountain roads out in the country, and even in the town of Asheville and other nearby towns, you are going to run into slow drivers. DO NOT TAILGATE them. SUSIE, I know you do not wish to be a tailgater, and if you are, I in no way fault you for it. It's really hard not to let the slow driver know, by golly, that he REALLY needs to get it together and move on out. Some people blow horns, some tailgate (SO dangerous), whatever.

But the very best advice I have, if you would lke some, because you DID come here to GIVE US advice, not the other way around but what the heck. It takes you an hour (or more I'm sure) to get to work, and I used to have to go 30 minutes every day, so knowing what that's like, for you to go through that absolute misery practically every day, could be these two rather obvious tips might work for you. Perhaps you can move much closer to work (which that means to sell and you love it there, then no way for that tip), but if this is going to be 20 years worth of miserable driving, hon, that is going to take years off your life and drive your mind right straight into the ditch, so weigh it out good if this is a long-term commitment to this work.

Then there is a chance, depending on your work, that if you do a whole lot of computer work, you can work yourself into a position, with a well-devised plan, for you to work from your home at least perhaps three but better four days a week (with four being ALL you do, not five). But I reckon you aren't looking at that or you might have made such a comment to us. So, that leaves one more possibility. I know you know ALL the ways to get where you're going, BUT a map is an amazing tool and fun too, and there are many maps right online, like mapquest.com and some even better maps for sure, or buying STRICTLY one North Carolina road map (it will have every crook and cranny in it, and figure out another way to get there that will cut your hour drive down to a half hour. And pick two or three other ways that seem counterintuitive but will quickly get you to a fast straight road that DOES get you there mighty quick. Might even be some short dirt road that isnt private, with private being like cutting thru a cow pasture with just split rail fencing. Time all of it, make it a dang science, and if there is ONLY ONE WAY TO AND FROM, wow, you live in I'm sure a mighty purty place with a fabulous view with plenty of peace and quiet. So, the last trick is to drive that stretch of road you're stuck with during a time period where hardly any traffic is there at all, and if there's an upcoming gas station or very roomy intersection of some kind, turn on your blinkers and honk your horn as you approach, get pretty close to them, and hopefullly they'll pull off.

Oh, I feel for you SUSIE. There is a beach area that if I could still move, I'd surely like to live there, but it is a coastal area, and when I keep seeing the absolute ruin of those long-time neighborhoods thru so many storms, many homes now totally destroyed, not to mention the damage to the ground lots of standing water does, and knowing my area does not have a breaker for storms out at sea, I would be devastated if I finally got to where I want to be, which is quite close to to the water, even on stilts since storms include huge forces of wind, I would be SO sad that this has happened to me. And that's how I think of you, and I hope, if nothing else, for people who think everyone on the roadway is going to expect slow tourist drivers or WHATEVER, that they will at least try to meet the speed limit. GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina