Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,529,623 times

Advertisements

I know the Appalachians are covered with trees, and the summits that are treeless are called Balds. I love our mountains and I think they are beautiful.

However, are there any particular mountains that have rocky summits, or have features like the Rockies or the Alps? In addition, most of the Southern Appalachians have flat summits, or they do not have chiseled looks due to the fact that glaciers have not worn and shaped them like the Rockies, or even the Adirondacks.

Are there a few mountains that are out of character by looking more like they belong in Colorado or Utah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
No. The apps are some of the oldest mountains in the world. Erosion has worn them down into gentle rolling beasts over time. Higher more drastic ranges are from much more recent plate collisions. Millions of years from now the Rockies will look the same.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 58,698 times
Yup, they're extremely old. The Atlas Mountains in northwestern Morocco and Algeria were formed as part of a secondary orogeny of the Appalachian Mountains during the late Paleozoic, back when Africa and the Americas were joined as part of Pangaea. Prior to that, the initial chain was formed during the Ordovician Period which dates back nearly half a billion years ago, before complex life even existed on earth.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,330 times
Over in Highlands there are some striking cliffs. Whiteside mountain is one of them.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
I think Grandfather Mountain has the most rugged, rockiest top of any mountain in the area that I can think of. It's nothing like the Tetons or the Alps, though.

photo by Hugh Morton

http://www.magazineusa.com/images_st...land_Games.jpgphoto by Hugh Morton

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
tullulah gorge in northern GA is beautiful. Not a unique mountain but the opposite

Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I know the Appalachians are covered with trees, and the summits that are treeless are called Balds. I love our mountains and I think they are beautiful.

However, are there any particular mountains that have rocky summits, or have features like the Rockies or the Alps? In addition, most of the Southern Appalachians have flat summits, or they do not have chiseled looks due to the fact that glaciers have not worn and shaped them like the Rockies, or even the Adirondacks.

Are there a few mountains that are out of character by looking more like they belong in Colorado or Utah?
There is rocky section of the Appalachians further north of this state. The closest would be in Kentucky and West Virginia.

I would suggest a trip to Cumberland Gap for the closet, or Lake Cumberland, or Mammoth Cave and if your really into a grueling but fun drive go to Kentucky Black Mountain. The next to tallest mountain other than Mitchell.
The best way from mountains is take interstate 26 to Hwy 23 to Hwy 160. Hwy 160 goes from Big Stone Gap to Cumberland.
There is a narrow stopping spot on top of Black Mountain between Kentucky and Virginia border.

Here is a picture from Lake Cumberland

The southern part of Kentucky closest town is Harlan and from there you will see mountains like this

My 90 year old grand mother lives near Hazard and I try to see her when I can but I will warn you that it best to have a map in glove compartment you will loose cell phone reception and might become confuse on the winding roads.

The closest thing in North Carolina that pops in mind that you are referring to would be Stone Mountain and Pilot Mountain.

Picture I took of Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Photo Tour

Pilot Mountain

There is flat edge in parking area at the top of Pilot moun tain for rock climbing and I will mention Hanging Rock too,

Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM

uhwarrie are beautiful too geologically according to my son. I haven't seen them myself

Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
uhwarrie are beautiful too geologically according to my son. I haven't seen them myself
If you spend time in the Appalachians you would think the Uwharrie mountains are foot hills.
Uwharrie is over 500 million years old and once was coastal mountains.
They eroded and spread now only over four counties in the Piedmont with the highest point 1,000 feet.
There is no unique feature to the short chain but a great place to fish, hunt and boat on nearby Badin lake.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM

understand what you are saying but I was speaking geologically. and the documentary on uhwarrie was interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina