Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 16,269 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. We're trying to decide between Boone and Wilkesboro. My wife will be working in Winston-Salem, and I'm a teacher and we've noticed there's more options in Wilkesboro and it's closer to Winston-Salem.

We have a 15 year old son, so high schools will be a big factor.

We want an area that doesn't have bad crime with enough shopping and restaurants. We're use to chain companies, so that's what we're looking for.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Are you teaching in Wilkesboro or Boone or something? Winston-Salem is 90 minutes from Boone and an hour from Wilkesboro; you can easily find places much closer (and nicer) with far more options.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedIL View Post
Hey everyone. We're trying to decide between Boone and Wilkesboro. My wife will be working in Winston-Salem, and I'm a teacher and we've noticed there's more options in Wilkesboro and it's closer to Winston-Salem.

We have a 15 year old son, so high schools will be a big factor.

We want an area that doesn't have bad crime with enough shopping and restaurants. We're use to chain companies, so that's what we're looking for.

Thanks.

What kind of "more options" in Wilkesboro? Boone? no way, Wilkesboro? still too far. Are you going by experience from a personal visit? or just looking at a map and "marketing" paraphernalia?

W/S area would be my pick if I wanted to move up there from the mountains and needed to get to a good job. Just the healthcare system alone around W/S is a no brainer. Not to mention entertainment, arts, shopping, education, etc. etc.

Have you considered the Clemmons area? very nice; and other nice towns within a reasonable distance from W/S.

Take the drive from Boone or Wilkesb. into W/S and report back to us. Word to the wise: don't isolate yourselves, you'll end up moving twice.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
OP, you need to post a similar question in the Triad sub-forum - my wife is from Greensboro and we nearly moved to the NW W-S/King area 7 years ago. I absolutely love W-S (probably more so than where I live now). The Triad has numerous inexpensive areas/developments.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM

We narrowed down between Boone and Wilkesboro because they're both in the mountains/foothills and we were really looking for that.

Wilkesboro has more schools than Boone, and there's more teaching options.

We've visited Boone first, then went to Wilkesboro and then on to Winston-Salem and estimated the time between the three. A commute from Wilkesboro to Winston-Salem wouldn't be a problem for her. We also liked the Wilkesboro was more of a "central" location between the surrounding areas (Boone, Elkin, Hickory, Lenoir, Statesville, Winston-Salem), much rather than Boone.

My wife will be working at Forsyth Medical Center, but will start at Wilkes Regional Medical Center before beginning her job in Winston-Salem. We've also noticed the hospital in Winston-Salem has many doctors in Wilkesboro in the hospital and medical park. We'll more than likely travel to Charlotte for shopping, ect but would like to have a couple of areas closer to work with.

We're going more toward Wilkesboro, but wanted to hear a little more about Boone.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times
I love Boone, and would normally recommend it up and down (as I've done on this board before). However, for your situation, Wilkesboro is the better option.

The approximate drive between Boone and Winston-Salem is an hour and a half. Between Wilkesboro and Winston-Salem is an hour. Bare in mind, winter weather and traffic in Boone can both be harsh, further complicating travel. Also, an influx of Appalachian State students limits available teaching jobs. Wilkesboro has anything you might need for everyday shopping and restaurants, better to live there and still have Boone not too far away for when you want to visit. Neither area has significant crime problems.

Although I'd like to end by concurring with others in this thread. Either city is a very long daily commute, and there's nothing wrong with Winston-Salem.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Take it from somebody that's commuted long distances (sometimes more than an hour one way!) for 8 years - it's not worth it. Life's too short.

I recently started a decent job in a nice area and now have a 3 minute commute (at most). Life is so much more pleasant.

I'm scratching my head why you would live in area where you would normally vacation or spend weekends. There's no way I'd commute down 421 from Boone into Winston daily - especially in winter!

Additionally, Wilkesboro is no Winston-Salem. The Triad has all the shopping one needs/wants - unless you prefer upscale shopping at Charlotte's Southpark Mall or Ikea. Also, you need to visit some of the fantastic local state parks near Winston: Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, etc. This will give you a taste of the mountains without having to drive or live in them.

Of course, there will be much more teaching opportunities in the Triad. But, you do realize (unless things have recently changed), that the state of NC is under a hiring freeze - gov't jobs are extremely hard to come by (I would apply this fiscal downsizing to both city and county jobs too).

Last edited by drfranklin; 01-26-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Take it from somebody that's commuted long distances (sometimes more than an hour one way!) for 8 years - it's not worth it. Life's too short.

I recently started a decent job in a nice area and now have a 3 minute commute (at most). Life is so much more pleasant.

I'm scratching my head why you would live in area where you would normally vacation or spend weekends. There's no way I'd commute down 421 from Boone into Winston daily - especially in winter!

Additionally, Wilkesboro is no Winston-Salem. The Triad has all the shopping one needs/wants - unless you prefer upscale shopping at Charlotte's Southpark Mall or Ikea. Also, you need to visit some of the fantastic local state parks near Winston: Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, etc. This will give you a taste of the mountains without having to drive or live in them.

Of course, there will be much more teaching opportunities in the Triad. But, you do realize (unless things have recently changed), that the state of NC is under a hiring freeze - gov't jobs are extremely hard to come by (I would apply this fiscal downsizing to both city and county jobs too).

Never ceases to amaze me DocF. The folks come on here for advice, and then tell us they know better. Hmmmmmmm......... My very good friend from New England was given the same warning about 10 years ago. They settled in Wilkesboro to get the "country experience", and she commuted to the Lowe's headquarters for about 6 mos. before putting the house up for sale and moving closer in. It was actually more than an hour's drive and to add insult to injury, her husband was retired and didn't have to work.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM

We're moving from Chicago and me and my wife both previously had a 30 minute commute but with traffic, was well over an hour, so we're use to it.

I did notice Boone's traffic and the desperate attempt to widen the roads, but it didn't look too much of a help. We also were surprised at how much traffic was on 421 in Wilkesboro where the shopping centers were.

Neither of us have considered either areas because of the "country feel", which I didn't feel whenever visiting. Obviously neither are a city.

We've actually been to the mall in Winston-Salem. No complaints, but we prefer the mall in Charlotte, as does our son.

My wife has the option to work at Wilkes Regional, but the paying at Forsyth was slightly higher.

Thanks to everyone who's helped.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I would never live in Wilkes. Much much rather live in Winston. Would love to live in Boone, but would never commute to Winston from Boone. Crazy.

In Wilkes they're real excited that they might be getting a Red Lobster and an Olive Garden if that floats your boat, though.
Olive Garden/Red Lobster coming to Wilkesboro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina