Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 12,230 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a trip where we would fly into D.C. (to pick someone up), then drive to Nashville, TN. Would be able to sidetrack all the way down through ashville, NC. We would like to see some of the Blue Ridge Parkway on our way. We would allow 2-3 days for driving around April 10.

I am asking for what parts of the parkway would be the most beautiful to see?
How would the weather be in April? Is is still worth the windy roads?
What route would you suggest to see some highlights, but spend the whole trip on winding roads?
Any must-see attractions or must-eat-at restaurants along the way?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desfamily4 View Post
My family is planning a trip where we would fly into D.C. (to pick someone up), then drive to Nashville, TN. Would be able to sidetrack all the way down through ashville, NC. We would like to see some of the Blue Ridge Parkway on our way. We would allow 2-3 days for driving around April 10.

I am asking for what parts of the parkway would be the most beautiful to see?
How would the weather be in April? Is is still worth the windy roads?
What route would you suggest to see some highlights, but spend the whole trip on winding roads?
Any must-see attractions or must-eat-at restaurants along the way?

Thanks so much!

Best to first check with the National Park Service about what the conditions could be on the BRP. It all depends on how things are when winter is over. There could be rockslides, mudslides etc. and parts of the Parkway are closed during the winter due to conditions which get fixed in the spring. Are you planning to come through VA? down Rt. 81? You will see a lot of the Shenandoah Valley on that route, very pretty. But you will also be driving south through the highest part of the mountain range until you get into Asheville.

You probably don't want to do too many miles on the BRP, the winding roads can be very boring after awhile regardless of the scenery, and the driver has to pay big attention to the roads; no gawking over the side. There are overlooks where you can safely get out of the car for the views. There will be a map online if you Google information for the BRP on the government website, and you can get information about what you will find at various "mile markers". There are really no restaurants on the Parkway or extremely few which may or may not be open in your time frame. But you can hop on and off according to your preferences. You will want to get off near Asheville regardless, and pick up Route 40 west to get over to Nashville. There are also other posts in this Western NC thread about the BRP with information that may interest you. Use the Search This Thread feature at the top right. Enjoy your trip !

Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,533,085 times
Having driven/ridden the BRPkway several times from end to end, and riding/driving on sections once a week 'in season', here is my 50Cts:
-the BRPkway is easily accessible at the Front Royal entrance, about an hour west of DC.
-that section is called Skyline Drive for most of VA. It is quite different from the southern section, of the BRP.
-that northern section is often more narrow, and while there are more 'vistas', those views are of soft rolling hills and a few 'mountains'. Not crummy, but more a tree lined, windy drive through high plateaus and soft higher elevations.
-the upper sections, (Skyline Dr), have a considerable population of white tail deer, which the lower section does not. They aren't 'after' drivers, but they are there in quantity at all times of day, and esp at dawn and dusk. They tend to dart across the road.
The BRP tends to parallel Interstate 81, which is the way the OP would travel down through VA, heading for Nashville anyway...
As Quilter Chick noted, there are minimal to no services on the BRP itself, other than a few info shack stops and restrooms, and a couple of restaurants. There are services of all kinds close by to the BRP, at many exits. See list on lower section of this page:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/places-to-eat/#moreListings
The OP didn't specify 'when' in April, and April is 'opening' time for many sections of the BRP, but late April is very different weather-wise from early April and very dependent upon elevation and changeable spring weather. Generally, the further 'south' and higher in elevation, eg into NC, there may be sections not open yet. The true high elevation sections south of Asheville, often don't open until late April or early May.

Imo, the best of the BRP is really 'Asheville and south' to its end in Cherokee, but the OP may not have time or inclination, and parts of the southern/higher elev. route may still be closed in April.

Agree also with QC, that the drive can be long and a bit tedious, if one is trying to cover some miles as opposed to my usual retired bum wandering rides on the BRP. Speed limit for much of that upper section, Skyline drive, is 35, and 45 max anywhere on the Parkway.

As to what to 'see', that early spring will offer some slightly leafed out trees, and mostly budded trees; that allows for better views and looking, while driving. Some spring flowers will be up, but it will be sparse and still 'un green' at any higher elevation.

There are several little towns with some restaurants along the way, but one has to descend off the Parkway to get to them.

As QC noted, before you head for the Pkway, give the hotline a call to see what is open, section-wise:
828-298-0398
It seems to work/be on occasionally, with some glitches...

Some links:
Blue Ridge Parkway - Virginia - Reviews of Blue Ridge Parkway - TripAdvisor

General Blue Ridge Parkway Information

You could wander down the BRP from Front Royal to Asheville and then get on I-40 west to Nashville, or go further south on BRP, if it's open.

Long post, not trying to overwhelm or make it seem complicated; it isn't. Get on the BRP, drive and enjoy it.
GL, mD

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 767,478 times
One note is that at the end of the BRP, in Cherokee NC, the road comes out at Hwy 441 which is what you would normally take to get over to TN. However that hwy is now closed due to a big slide and may not be open again for awhile. Your options from there wuld be to head west and go through Murphy NC into TN and come out just north of Chattanooga, or backtrack through Maggie Valley and get on I-40 there and head into TN.

Have fun!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,230 times
Thanks for all of the information. It is looking like we may come down through Richmond, VA and mainly go down 85 through Nashville. We will drive mostly on the interstate, but hop off and on the BRP like you all suggested. Then catch I-40 and go on into Nashville through Knoxville. (thanks RVT for the info that 441 is closed.) I need to research some and find out what specific milemarks are on our route and figure out which parts of the parkway to see. We would love to see some waterfalls so I am hoping there are some on our way.
Has anyone stayed at the Biltmore? Is it worth the price?

Thanks everybody!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desfamily4 View Post
Thanks for all of the information. It is looking like we may come down through Richmond, VA and mainly go down 85 through Nashville. We will drive mostly on the interstate, but hop off and on the BRP like you all suggested. Then catch I-40 and go on into Nashville through Knoxville. (thanks RVT for the info that 441 is closed.) I need to research some and find out what specific milemarks are on our route and figure out which parts of the parkway to see. We would love to see some waterfalls so I am hoping there are some on our way.
Has anyone stayed at the Biltmore? Is it worth the price?

Thanks everybody!
No.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

729 posts, read 1,496,970 times
The first time we drove the Parkway we got on in Roanoke, VA, stopped at Grandfather Mountain, Mt Mitchell, Lynville Caverns and many overlooks along the way and ended our with dinner in Asheville. It was a looong day but packed with fun ad beautiful scenery. Once in Asheville you can hop on I-40 and be in Nashville in 5 hours

Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,211,043 times
Interstate 81 is a prettier drive than Interstate 85. I'd recommend 81 through Virginia rather than 85 through NC. You can pick up 85 in Petersburg and come down through Durham to Charlotte and then over to Asheville, but I would think 81 would be the better drive.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,489,882 times
I reccomend I-81 to I-77, then get on the parkway at least to Asheville. If you have time, stay on the parkway until it loops back to 74 near Waynseville. 74 is an easy road back to I-40.

Buy a book about NC waterfalls. There are some great ones just off the parkway.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,060 times
Default Drive from Durham, NC to Nashville, TN

Hello,

I'm supposed to drive from Durham, NC to Nashville, TN. I am afraid of heights and the mountains. Can someone tell me the type of drive it is, are there lots of steep inclines and overlooks (no railing, etc) Someone else may drive, but I really wanted to know. We most likely would take 1-40 through Asheville, NC. This will be in June. Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina