Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My boyfriend and I are originally from the PNW near Portland, Or and have been living in North Dakota for the past year or so. Needless to say we can't say we enjoy it too much here, it was just an opportunity for work. We are looking in to moving this coming summer and have both expressed an interest in both Western and Central North Carolina. I've read quite a bit about Asheville and am liking what I see but am looking for a bit more information to share with my boyfriend so we can make our decision.

One of the main things that we personally like about Asheville is that it seems to be a bit more left sided and laid back. Coming from the PNW that is what we are used to growing up around. One of our main concerns would be the weather, in the PNW it rains almost every day of the year and it's something we could not stand. I've tried many times to find answers to my questions online but can't seem to get anywhere, so if anyone could be so kind as to help me out I'd really appreciate it.

How often does it rain in Asheville? In general what is the weather like?
We are not opposed to snow in the winter but we also don't like the -16 degree weather with windchill. I love layering but am not a fan of not being able to wear a jean jacket on a regular basis. Also, how often is the sun out? I have a pretty bad case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and can't live anywhere where it's cloudy and dreary more than half of the year.

I've read that the job market is pretty tough out here as well, is it clearing up a bit or is it still really difficult to get a job? Going along with that, how affordable is housing?

Are there any good community colleges to attend? How did you like them?

And last but not least, how are the shopping opportunities? We currently live in a town with two grocery stores and have to travek upwards to 150 miles to do any real shopping besides grocery and are looking for a city where there are options. Also, are there any organic grocery stores? That's the one thing I'm really missing about Portland.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM

119 posts, read 172,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMutt View Post
Hello!
My boyfriend and I are originally from the PNW near Portland, Or and have been living in North Dakota for the past year or so. Needless to say we can't say we enjoy it too much here, it was just an opportunity for work. We are looking in to moving this coming summer and have both expressed an interest in both Western and Central North Carolina. I've read quite a bit about Asheville and am liking what I see but am looking for a bit more information to share with my boyfriend so we can make our decision.

Where in ND are you? My son wants to move there, lol.

One of the main things that we personally like about Asheville is that it seems to be a bit more left sided and laid back. Coming from the PNW that is what we are used to growing up around. One of our main concerns would be the weather, in the PNW it rains almost every day of the year and it's something we could not stand. I've tried many times to find answers to my questions online but can't seem to get anywhere, so if anyone could be so kind as to help me out I'd really appreciate it.

How often does it rain in Asheville? It's not too bad. In general what is the weather like? I like to say the weather here is wishy washy. We just had 60 degree weather after last week being in the 30's and below and are expected to drop again this weekend. We have not really had any snow this year, a dusting is about all.
We are not opposed to snow in the winter but we also don't like the -16 degree weather with windchill. I love layering but am not a fan of not being able to wear a jean jacket on a regular basis. Also, how often is the sun out? I have a pretty bad case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and can't live anywhere where it's cloudy and dreary more than half of the year. It's pretty sunny.

I've read that the job market is pretty tough out here as well, is it clearing up a bit or is it still really difficult to get a job? Job market is not that great still. Going along with that, how affordable is housing?Housing depends on where in AVL you want to go and what $$$ your looking for.

Are there any good community colleges to attend? AB Tech is pretty good, we also have UNC-A here.How did you like them? I took a semester at AB-Tech and it was good, I liked it.

And last but not least, how are the shopping opportunities?Grocrey shopping is not so bad here, I do like shopping more at Earth Fare, Greenlife, Fresh Market, and Harris Teeter. We are getting a Traders Joe soon (have not shopped there before). Ingles is the biggest grocery store here. We have a Bi-Lo, but I think they are higher priced. You won't have a problem with driving too far to grocery shop. As for retail stores, you have certain areas of AVL that offer more then others. We have AVL Mall (Biltmore Mall looks to run down and does not have that much), Biltmore Village is really nice with a lot of different little shps to go to. We currently live in a town with two grocery stores and have to travek upwards to 150 miles to do any real shopping besides grocery and are looking for a city where there are options. Also, are there any organic grocery stores? Organic stores will be Earth Fare, greenlife, Fresh Market and Harris Teeter. That's the one thing I'm really missing about Portland.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Also to let you know pay rate here starts at $7.25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina