U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,315,376 times

Advertisements

I'm curious whether anyone has knowledge of or has visited the Boulder Creek subdivision in Boone? Am looking at some property out that way but, being in the Research Triangle, have not been able to yet drive out for a look first-hand. Any thoughts you have to share here in the thread or via PM would be welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

4,223 posts, read 8,037,023 times
Boone Dirt NC : Boulder Creek

And, GOOG search turned up pretty thin 'info' for a 'home development', imo, and most were links to lots for sale. Makes me go hmmmm...

Don't know the development or how many actual houses are there, vs lots.
Having built a med priced and a high priced spec house, my advice is to make certain the infrastructure is in place, and the developer is well funded.

You don't necessarily want to be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd house builder...

The lots seem quite inexpensive to me, but maybe that's 'Boone', or maybe they are burning a hole in the note holder's pocket.

Another poster with closer eyeballs may be of more help.
GL, mD

Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 PM

10,758 posts, read 15,025,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm curious whether anyone has knowledge of or has visited the Boulder Creek subdivision in Boone? Am looking at some property out that way but, being in the Research Triangle, have not been able to yet drive out for a look first-hand. Any thoughts you have to share here in the thread or via PM would be welcomed. Thanks!

There are several developments in western NC's "high country" that are in foreclosure and/or bank owned, or abandoned and awaiting litigation. It would be prudent to talk to a reputable Realtor in any area where you are considering making an investment in property. (Online "land marketing companies" as you may know may not be reliable.)

Not too long ago over here every guy with a toolbelt and his cousins suddenly became contractors. and the remnants of their misadventures abound.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,204,862 times
What are you looking to know BCR? I know the general area. I don't know that subdivision in particular, but it's close to where our family has a place in Boone.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,315,376 times
Thanks, all, for the responses! I appreciate the advice, and that caution is exactly why I'm coming to City-Data, since I don't know the "scoop" on the ground. It would seem that something has gone wrong with the development and I'm trying to find out what.

To date I've reviewed the initial subdevelopment plat; checked the Wautauga Democrat's archives back to 2000; searched Lexis-Nexis; and checked the Town of Boone and Wautauga Co. public records online for any info as to what happened to this subdivision (developer bankruptcy? DENR issues? perc or well problems?) without success. There doesn't seem to be much in the public record, though I haven't hit court records or researched the current ownership of each plat yet.

I am reaching out to real estate professionals in the Boone area but didn't know if folks living in the area knew any local scuttlebutt on the development. There do appear to be a number of very nice homes built there in the past few years but with no activity for the past two years or so, there seems to be a story I would want to know before pursuing a deal for any of the land.

Thanks again, and appreciate anything that any locals know!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM

3,856 posts, read 6,624,384 times
I can't speak to that specific development, but in general the High Country real market still has a glut of existing homes on the market. Lots and land have been dead in the water since the recession first started.... still are.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Yet, they're building that huuuuuge apt/condo development on the corner of 105 and Poplar Grove where the old Christmas tree land has been for sale for many years across from the Tomato Shack. Update on Capstone Cottages of Boone on Poplar Grove Road South: Construction of Buildings has Begun | High Country Press

Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM

10,758 posts, read 15,025,714 times
Default Apts. Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yet, they're building that huuuuuge apt/condo development on the corner of 105 and Poplar Grove where the old Christmas tree land has been for sale for many years across from the Tomato Shack. Update on Capstone Cottages of Boone on Poplar Grove Road South: Construction of Buildings has Begun | High Country Press

Isn't that student housing. ? "Sept. 26, 2012. Work recently began constructing the buildings for the Capstone Collegiate Communities (CCC) development, Cottages of Boone, on Poplar Grove Road South off of N.C. 105. The development, when finished, could be the largest student housing community in Watauga County."

Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM

I think it is designed as student housing, but I thought it was relevant both because it's close to the development that BCR was asking about (just down Poplar Grove Rd) and it is current building going on in Boone. Not all development is "dead in the water" in the area.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,624,384 times
I did not say that development was dead in the water. In the context of the OP's inquiry, I meant that individuals are not purchasing lots and land for single family home construction at the rate they did before the recession, primarily because there are so many existing homes on the market at favorable prices (as compared to cost of new construction). I guess I should have been more explicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina