U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 29,568 times

Advertisements

I'm from NY and have been researching WNC for some time, with the idea of relocating...looks so lovely there. Recently, however, I came across an article about unavoidable roaches in the Carolinas and points south, due to heat and humidity. When I google the subject I get horror stories of roaches in all homes and yards. Looks like most of the comments might have been from extermination services, obviously with an agenda. What is the truth about those yucky bugs? Please tell me there is not a problem in WNC. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenMary View Post
I'm from NY and have been researching WNC for some time, with the idea of relocating...looks so lovely there. Recently, however, I came across an article about unavoidable roaches in the Carolinas and points south, due to heat and humidity. When I google the subject I get horror stories of roaches in all homes and yards. Looks like most of the comments might have been from extermination services, obviously with an agenda. What is the truth about those yucky bugs? Please tell me there is not a problem in WNC. Thank you.
Sorry to tell you....

Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,797,703 times
The roaches that are being spoken of are:

American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which should be though of like you'd think of a Spider, Beetle, Ladybug, or any other insect. Even in the extremes nigh tropical area of ENC you won't see infestations unless someone is simply disgusting, though untreated they are very common when it rains.

Out West it is less, relative to the rest of NC, but still likely more than what you're used to. Still proper preventive measures can keep them out of your home. The cockroach to worry about is:

German cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is not what people are speaking of when they are talking about cockroaches in NC

Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,629,298 times
After 12 years in the Asheville area, I haven't noticed anything unusual concerning roach species or larger populations here as compared to colder climates in the northeastern U.S. As long as your home is reasonably clean, you probably won't see any let alone have an infestation.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM

985 posts, read 2,204,713 times
There are roaches in all of NC.
It's disgusting.

You may find people that tell you they've never seen one, but that's just because they weren't in the same room the roach was at the same time.

There are German roaches, which are everywhere in the country, and are just about the most gross infestatation you can come across. They are in high-rise buildings up north as well as the south. These are the type that hitch a ride on your grocery bag or item and once you have them there's no way to get rid of them easily. A pest control person can help keep them under control.

Then there are the more common types of roaches found mostly outside in the Carolinas and in Virginia, and all points south. They live outside usually but they will for sure find their way into your house. Chances are you'll see them in your kitchen a few times during the summer. These are they type that people will miss, because they're not looking for them or don't know what to look for. So they say, oh, no, there are no roaches here. In winter they disappear, but they will be back.

One has to keep all kitchen food items in air-tight containers or in the fridge. Do not leave items in bags once opened like chips, sweets especially, or even bread. Keep your kitchen extra clean. No dishes in the sink overnight, no crumbs on the floor, or on the countertops.

It's a big pain in the you know what. And they are the most gross thing I've found about living in the south. Enough to make me want to leave. Seriously. And I only see a couple a year.
best,
toodie

Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM

306 posts, read 630,474 times
The article refers to the Palmetto Bug that is common in the midlands of SC and coastal areas of NC and SC. They are in areas of high humidity and their presence have nothing to do with cleanliness. I doubt you'll see any in the mountains of NC.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM

985 posts, read 2,204,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
The article refers to the Palmetto Bug that is common in the midlands of SC and coastal areas of NC and SC. They are in areas of high humidity and their presence have nothing to do with cleanliness. I doubt you'll see any in the mountains of NC.

This article? From Wiki: The American cockroach (Periplaneta americana), also known as the waterbug,[1] or misidentified as the palmetto bug (see Florida woods cockroach for the differences), is the largest species of common cockroach, and often considered a pest

I really wish there wouldn't be a worry about seeing one cockroach in western NC. But I don't think that's possible. Even not considering the nasty german roach which sometimes (even if rarely if one is super clean) still makes its way inside a person's home, I am thinking there are still those roaches outside. If I'm wrong please someone tell me. Thanks. I'll be packing up for western NC if they're not there.
best,
toodie

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,813,945 times
For the past twelve years, I've lived in the mountains of western North Carolina and North Georgia. I've rented four different houses.

I seen a roach maybe twice? And even then they were so teeny tiny, I wasn't sure if it was a roach!

I grew up in Florida. It's night and day compared to WNC. It's too cold in the mountains for them to thrive so easily.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 AM

4,223 posts, read 8,037,023 times
What SS said...
Normal household food containment and sanitation practices will preclude roach 'interest'.
I have seen a couple German roaches in ~12 years at/around our mtn house, and we are not BetterHomes&Gardens or cleaning fanatics.

Central and eastern NC, with lower elevations & higher median temps, may offer a better clime for their infestation, but nothing like FL and the gulf state areas.

In considering a move to 'western NC', the potential threat of cockroach infestation would be barely above 'tsunami' on my list of concerns. ;>)
GL, mD

Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM

10,760 posts, read 15,025,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
This article? From Wiki: The American cockroach (Periplaneta americana), also known as the waterbug,[1] or misidentified as the palmetto bug (see Florida woods cockroach for the differences), is the largest species of common cockroach, and often considered a pest

I really wish there wouldn't be a worry about seeing one cockroach in western NC. But I don't think that's possible. Even not considering the nasty german roach which sometimes (even if rarely if one is super clean) still makes its way inside a person's home, I am thinking there are still those roaches outside. If I'm wrong please someone tell me. Thanks. I'll be packing up for western NC if they're not there.
best,
toodie

Good grief toodie ! I've never seen anything that even remotely resembles any type of cockroach here in western NC and I've been here 10 years. And I don't know anyone else who has ever seen one or ever mentioned the critters. We have a lot of Floridians here, they come up to escape the oppressive FL weather in the summer. Maybe one came up here as a stowaway in a FL car .... !! But I don't think they travel well. I owned a condo in SW Florida for about a year a while back, and never even saw one there in my complex. I know they were around somewhere.... but I couldn't even tell you what they look like. Gators... now that's a different story. omg But I don't think they travel well either.

You can find any kind of bug anywhere if you go looking for it, in the garbage cans behind a sloppy restaurant? underground in a sewer system? in a ghetto area?

This subject gives me goose bumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina