Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,392,348 times

Advertisements

This is the most beautiful thread ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM

252 posts, read 473,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Any volunteer opportunities working with the elderly? I'm not talking about dementia care, I'm not skilled enough for that, but outings, dr. visits, shopping, assistance, that sort of thing?
What a wonderful thing to want to do for the elderly, Kmarc, esp those who don't have family nearby to help them out. It sounds like like the Council on Aging has the perfect program~

"Volunteer to meet people, learn new skills and help your neighbors. Provide companionship and assistance to an older adult and make a new friend. Volunteers transport older adults who can no longer drive and cannot use public transportation to medical and other necessary appointments. Volunteers also help deliver prepackaged food, donated by Manna Food Bank, boxed by the Salvation Army, delivered once a month to the homebound elderly. We often get requests for various odd and interesting volunteer opportunities - babysit for a pet while someone is in the hospital, pick up food from local farmers and distribute to low income elderly, spend time with someone so a family member can get a break. And, we appreciate volunteer help with administrative needs here in the office as well."
Volunteer Opportunities to work with older adults in Buncombe County, NC to provide companionship, food supplies, pet care, caregiver relief and handy man services through Council on Aging

And also, if you or anyone out there, is interested in helping preserve/enhance/cleanup the local lands and rivers, there are 2 absolutely outstanding organizations here in Asheville. (& yes, they have litter pickup days. )~

RiverLink - Home

Asheville GreenWorks - Home

Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,158,138 times
Moving Over, that is EXACTLY what I'd be looking for. Gosh, that's just the thing! Respite care is also very important, when a person does that, they provide help not only for the elderly person, but for family members who need a break. It's an important part of community.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 AM

474 posts, read 838,276 times
Great thread! I did a lot of researching volunteer opportunities when we first decided to move to Asheville, and the Council on Aging seemed like the best fit for me, too. Maybe I'll see you there.

Another way to get involved and meet new people with similar interests is meetup.com.

On driving -- if you spent your working life commuting in big cities like I did, it's easy to get caught up in being impatient like 90% of the other cars on the road. I retired seven years ago to a town about the size of Asheville, and the thing I love most about this town is how little traffic there is. I'm much more patient now, but I still have to watch myself sometimes. Maybe we should use meetup.com to start a "city drivers anonymous" group to help those like us, lol.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Bilbono, yes, maybe we'll meet up through the Council on Aging. As you know, that sort of work is a huge commitment, especially if you do visitation. You become like a friend or family member and they count on seeing you. The volunteer group here won't even consider people unless they are able to make a commitment, since they don't want to have their clients disappointed, saddened or disoriented by people who might just give up and disappear.

I will appreciate less traffic, that's for sure. When I first moved to this area, you could swing a cat on the main drag even during the season and not hit anything, now it's wall to wall traffic, it has been very sad to see what all the development has done. A slower pace is definitely for me.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM

440 posts, read 1,090,488 times
.........good insight for when hubby & I ...FINALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY get up there! ;0)

Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 30,992 times
I, too, am not a native of NC, but have now been here close to 8 years. I came down here not expecting what I had before; that was the very reason to move here. I wanted to slow down (driving, work, keeping up with Jones's, etc.), learn about my new community, took a job in mental health and then really learned about the various cultures here. I never find it dull. I love the mix of cultures, the incredible talent in Henderson and Buncombe county, had the opportunity to work in the public schools and have fostered two dogs for the Animal Compassion Network.

I greatly respect the mountains and am appalled about the talk of fracking in our mountains and doing off shore drilling off our coast. I don't want this beautiful creation to be devasted by greed and the lack of foresight some of our political leaders have. OOPS! Got off on a tangent. Anyway, I love my state and will do what I can to preserve it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM

474 posts, read 838,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Bilbono, yes, maybe we'll meet up through the Council on Aging. As you know, that sort of work is a huge commitment, especially if you do visitation. You become like a friend or family member and they count on seeing you. The volunteer group here won't even consider people unless they are able to make a commitment, since they don't want to have their clients disappointed, saddened or disoriented by people who might just give up and disappear.
You make a good point about commitment which I hadn't thought of. If I commit to something I'm going to stay with it, but I WILL be gone for weeks/months at a time to visit my aging mother. So I guess I will have to look at another type of work, at least at first.

Mike

Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
You make a good point about commitment which I hadn't thought of. If I commit to something I'm going to stay with it, but I WILL be gone for weeks/months at a time to visit my aging mother. So I guess I will have to look at another type of work, at least at first.

Mike
Mike, don't let me discourage you from working with the elderly. The commitment issue mostly comes up for those who are doing visitation or respite/relief care. There are other situations involving volunteering for the elderly where you can take time off, like meal delivery, transportation or administrative tasks. Just be sure to let the organization or your supervisor know your situation, and they'll fit you in somewhere else. I think it's great you're considering this. It's so badly needed, now more than ever.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,883,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
I wouldn't want you to act any differently than you would any place else. We're not special here, just like every body else.
One request though; You could lavish us with gifts. We like blue buttons and shiny buckles.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would you act any differently? You should act as you should in any other place like any other city/town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina