Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get a feel for what residents or natives of WNC would like to see from re-locators. Could be anything, from manners, better driving, supporting certain venues, respect for the land, new businesses, etc. I realize some of these wants may have been expressed in other threads, like threads on driving in the mountains, or refraining from making comments on "how it's done back home". Of course I understand that $$$ are always appreciated and hoped for, but not all of us can purchase expensive homes and donate lots of money to worthy causes.

I mentioned in another thread that on CD, potential re-locators to this or that area sometimes have an attitude of "Whaddya got for me?" But what can potential re-locators do for WNC? How can we contribute? How can we make life a little easier or better for the residents or natives? What things should we be doing? What should we avoid doing? What issues or attitudes unique to the area should we understand?

I don't expect any one set of answers, it can be very personal to the current resident or native, it could be a gripe, it could be a suggestion or idea, etc. Sort of along the lines of "I wish visitors or new residents would (or wouldn't)______________" (fill in the blank). Anything that would give insight into the general society and customs of the area for a potential re-locator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Your posts have shown a heart for my home, so I wouldn't have any complaints with you as a neighbor.

But to answer your question: I would like who relocates to NC to learn its history and its various peoples, how it grew and developed, and go from there.

I wouldn't expect someone to embrace the culture either, but I would like an understanding and perhaps an appreciation of it.

My hope that this would help them appreciate the state that I love. Rather than consider WNC as a feast for the eyes, it could be a feast for the heart. with time.

As to getting along in a new place, I lived in Germany for 10 years and for a southern girl to move to Germany in the '80s was quite an adjustment. But learning the language, the culture, the ways, and expectations as well as acting as a guest in their home helped me integrate into life there and it went well overall. It was close as to whether I would stay or raise my children back home.

And that is the theme with North Carolinians, a love of home and where our fathers lie.

more or less

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 02-20-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Thank you, old north state. As you know, the post that CRock made of the account of the flood of 1916 made a very deep impression on me, and drove home the importance of knowing at least something of the history of the area to which one re-locates, or intends to re-locate. I have also had the opportunity to view different videos of the area, not just the scenic ones, but some that have to do with lifestyle and history, and even people just going about their daily business. It has given me something of an affection, even from a distance, for the people and the area.

I do find the attitudes of some of the CD posters rather insensitive to the people of the areas to which they are considering re-location, and it makes me cringe sometimes.

Thank you for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,748 times
To sort of echo OldNorthState's sentiments, we visited San Miguel, Mexico a few years back. The place has a decent number of American expatriates. They sort of stuck to themselves and many seemed to have a snobbish attitude about their role in the community. Some openly bragged of living there for 15 or 20 years and not speaking a word of Spanish. In response, I took the advice of a wise professor: smiled, nodded, and thought to myself, "here's another one." I found it disrespectful.

I've lived in five places over all four continental time zones in my time on this earth. There may come a day when I find my address is outside of our country. None of those places had a responsibility to cater to, or bend for me. The burden is on me to make that relationship work.

What I would like from those moving here or anywhere for that matter? Don't become like those American expats in San Miguel.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 PM

"I found it disrespectful."

I would find it disrespectful, too. I think coming to an area with an attitude of respect is maybe the first and foremost thing a re-locator should bring with them. Respect for the people, respect for the land, respect for local customs and attitudes, understanding the changes and hardships that people who live there have had to experience.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
For me its definitely lack of respect to the land. For a while WNC was seen as a builder's paradise ripe for exploiting. What kills me the most is when people buy a mountaintop then clear it to place their mcmansion up. There are several spots on the parkway that used to be beautiful but now overlook someone's ugly house. The never built only cleared cliffs development in black mountain is another. Its one thing to do a tasteful design that blends in with surroundings, its another to totally destroy the beauty that you moved to the area for. Those are also the type that bring their elitist attitude Mule is referring too. It is pretty easy to spot who they are when at earthfare or fresh market. Its just the way they treat everyone as if they are beneath them.

Kmarc, from your posts you seem very that you seem conscious, intelligent, and understanding, you won't have any problems.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'd like to get a feel for what residents or natives of WNC would like to see from re-locators. Could be anything, from manners, better driving, supporting certain venues, respect for the land, new businesses, etc. I realize some of these wants may have been expressed in other threads, like threads on driving in the mountains, or refraining from making comments on "how it's done back home". Of course I understand that $$$ are always appreciated and hoped for, but not all of us can purchase expensive homes and donate lots of money to worthy causes.

I mentioned in another thread that on CD, potential re-locators to this or that area sometimes have an attitude of "Whaddya got for me?" But what can potential re-locators do for WNC? How can we contribute? How can we make life a little easier or better for the residents or natives? What things should we be doing? What should we avoid doing? What issues or attitudes unique to the area should we understand?

I don't expect any one set of answers, it can be very personal to the current resident or native, it could be a gripe, it could be a suggestion or idea, etc. Sort of along the lines of "I wish visitors or new residents would (or wouldn't)______________" (fill in the blank). Anything that would give insight into the general society and customs of the area for a potential re-locator.

Basically, embrace and respect the land; respect the knowledge and experience of the "natives"/locals and don't try to teach them anything, they will teach you. Forget how "good it was back in ...."; if it was so good you wouldn't be here.

Acquire a burning desire for great bar-b-que and toe tapping music. Bring money, study the culture, and don't drive too close to the edge of the mountain roads, don't walk on the rocks near waterfalls or go hiking in the winter snow. We don't want to read your name in the paper.

On the other hand, it's okay to shop at Fresh Market once in awhile ... they have the best Italian sausage, and the Mellow Mushroom in Asheville has the best pizza if you need a fix. Other than that buy local produce and Henderson County apples.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
I have to echo what Saucystargazer & QuilterChick have said and Kmarc you would be welcome as my neighbor in Mills River any day

There's not much I would change or ask of relocators other than, be curteous - please and thank you go a long way.

When driving and you see an accident on the road and people are having to merge to get over - let them in. And likewise if you're let in - throw you hand up as a sign of thank you. Same goes for anytime someone lets you out into traffic. I think of all things, "please" and "thank you" are my two biggest pet peeves.

The only other thing is don't talk smack about people who are different than you or have different socioeconomics, politics, or lifestyle. Just let people live their lives however they see fit. It's not necessary in life to put someone else down in order to make yourself feel more important.

Other than that - I embrace people who move here. They keep us moving and changing and growing. Heck, most of my friends are "from" some place else.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,676 times
I am glad my link about the flood of 1916 inspired you to consider a deeper meaning when relocating. Lots of posters come here with basic "Is (___this town___) or area right for me?

I agree with all the previous posters. I will add, get to know your neighbors, don't wait for them to come to you. Extend your hand in friendship.

Over the past few years new business owners and residents have moved to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. It has reinvigorated the towns. In Chimney Rock the business owners have done great things via the Community Development Assn. It looks like 2013 will be even better than last year.

Lake Lure and Chimney Rock are currently undergoing a branding and marketing initiative. It is in the initial stages. I have been to several meetings and they have all been packed. There are lots of plans for The Gorge and many of those ideas are from recent transplants.

No matter where you end up I think you will make a great neighbor.

Last edited by CRock; 02-21-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM

358 posts, read 786,173 times
I wouldn't want you to act any differently than you would any place else. We're not special here, just like every body else.
One request though; You could lavish us with gifts. We like blue buttons and shiny buckles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina