U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 PM

218 posts, read 188,612 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for a realtor. Can you can suggest one? I'll be looking for a home under $300K, near Asheville, possibly in the Weaverville area.

If it's not appropriate to post recommendations, I'd appreciate a DM. Thanks!

Last edited by Xenah; 02-24-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM

729 posts, read 1,214,202 times
We're not allowed to give you recommendations on this forum as they may be deemed as biased or self serving. You are welcome to I.M. me personally and I will be happy to give you some suggestions. There are several good offices in Weaverville. When you are buying a home, you need to work with a realtor who will listen to you, be responsive to your needs, are familiar with the area (preferably because they live in the area where they are working) and has a good knowledge of what they are doing. You would actually be surprised at the number of realtors that don't really know their product or the process you will be going through although the recent economy has weeded a lot of those realtors out. In the end, go with your gut feeling as to who you feel most comfortable with because this is going to be a close relationship for a while. They are helping you with a major purchase. if you don't like the realtor that you are working with then things won't go so smoothly.

Another thing to keep in mind is agency agreements. A realtor needs to have a Buyers Agency agreement in writing with you or they will be representing the seller. This brochure should be given to you on first contact: http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/pdf/bro...ingwAgents.pdf It explains the role of a buyers agent, listing agent and a dual agent. I would suggest that when you pick a realtor and set a time to see homes with them, make sure the buyers agency agreement covers ONLY THOSE HOMES that you go and see. Otherwise you may find out after a day or two that you are not happy with the realtor that you chose but now you are tied into working with them for the next 6 months to a year. You may think you can go behind their back and work with someone else but believe me, they will find out and make life miserable for everyone involved for "stealing" a client. So only sign agency for the homes you are looking at until you feel comfortable that this is the Buyers Agent that you want to work with and then go ahead and sign agency for several months. It will cut down on paperwork if you do.

First things first - go to a lender and get pre-qualified. Until you talk to a bank you don't really know what you can afford (unless you are paying cash). Also, any offer in todays market should have a pre-qual letter from a bank to make the offer stronger. Sellers don't like to take a chance on a buyer that hasn't yet done their homework with the bank.

Good luck on your home search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina