Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I don't know about all the training and schools, etc. but you may want to look into Smuggler's Notch, Vermont. We visited there last September and when I was reading your post it brought the timeshare we visited to my mind. I know there is a zip line and the small towns and the healthy foods. You can look on the Wyndham timeshare website for jobs in many locations. You don't have to have a password to get to the jobs available on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 9,406 times
Hi! My sons father lives in Ireland and I travel a lot to Costa Rica. So we could possibly be flying anywhere from three to six times a year. I also have friends from all over...and having to drive so far to get the airport is a hassle...but then again as someone posted there are connecting flights and that is way better than driving 3 hours.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 9,406 times
Oh and the Vermont question...Yeah so Vermont is probably the most visited state I have spent time in...I have plenty of relatives there and yeah its cool I like Middlebury..I love Burlington...I have hiked the Green Mountains....Just kinda been there done that....But thanks you all for your responses. I guess I need to focus less on wants and be more practical or maybe I will find exactly what I am looking for!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Perhaps Morgantown WV? Lots of outdoor activities, ski resorts nearby for snowboarding, Youghiogheny River (roughly pronounced "YOWK-uh-gay-nee") and Ohiopyle recreation area nearby for kayaking, and just over an hour to the Pittsburgh airport. Not sure how well-served your vegan options are, but Morgantown is a flagship state university town so that could be promising. You might also try the southern fringes of the Pittsburgh suburbs too, perhaps in the Laurel Highlands; it's also close to all this stuff with the convenience of a major metropolitan area nearby if that's a selling point.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM

Oh yeah, Oktoberfest... There's a Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, one of only 4 in the USA. Some of the smaller towns in the area and even the ski resorts along the PA/WV border have their own Oktoberfest festivities, but if you want to be in the thick of it, Hofbrauhaus or Penn Brewery (a German-style brewery in the Deutschtown neighborhood of Pittsburgh) is the place to be.

(Images from Hello Louisville)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 AM

78 posts, read 101,737 times
In my mind, there's nowhere on the East Coast that meets your (considerable) list of requirements as well as Asheville. And even your needs that can't be met aren't hard to wrangle. You can get from Mt. Mitchell, the tallest point east of the Mississippi (nearly 7,000 feet), to the Atlantic within four and half hours of driving. WNC is a world-class (yes, international) destination for hiking, biking, and rafting. If you were ambitious enough, you could probably be on the river in the morning and in the ocean by the afternoon. In the East, there's really no other place that could claim the same. (There are impressive mountains in New York and New England, of course, but up there the ocean is really only fun a few months a year.)

Parts of Tennessee and North Carolina really aren't that different, at least where they merge into the mountains. Also, Asheville has an excellent annual Oktoberfest: Oktoberfest, Downtown Asheville. And, there's a German restaurant in Weaverville, a town just north of the city....and, a very vibrant vegan scene, and so on.

I second Motor David's commentary on local air connections. In my previous home, Brooklyn, journeys to one of the three "local" airports often took twice as long as my flights. As for the AVL airport...I once showed up there 30 minutes before departure -- not that I'd recommend it! -- and still had a few minutes to spare before boarding. There are direct flights to NYC-area airports from AVL, and also from Greenville-Spartanburg, about an hour and 15 minute's drive away. As for international travel: USAir, whose hub is in Charlotte, is merging with American Airlines, so the long-distance connections there will probably only improve.

The one stumbling block is, of course, rent. I doubt you could find a 2BR for $750 or less within city limits, but if you're willing to drive some, you might be able to do it. Others can speak more to this, since my own housing search was limited to downtown and surrounding areas, but I think Leicester and Weaverville -- maybe Marshall? -- may fit your budget.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM

And that's another endorsement for the region between Pittsburgh and Morgantown -- you can rent an entire house with yard for $750/mo or less. Or you can buy a place for well under $100K and easily keep your total mortgage, insurance, and property tax payments under your $750/mo threshold.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
What CheBoludo said, imo.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
The OP was asking about Nantahala Center in Swain County, and I am not sure that area meets her stated desires.

I also doubt the educational system there is what the OP described she wanted for her child.

There may be jobs available at NOC as desired by the OP although that was unclear to me as to whether she had a job in hand.

As always my suggestion is to draw circles of 30 min from the desired job site and research towns within that circle to see if they meet the OPs needs. But get the job first.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 04-03-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina