Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times

Advertisements

"Well, the first one backed out because his lender wouldn't lend the full amount because the appraisal came in lower than the contract price. We told the buyer upfront that this would happen, but I guess he wasn't paying attention."
I live in a highrise in downtown Chicago. We have the same problem selling in my building. The prices are going up but the properties won't appraise out. It doesn't mean the house isn't worth the price, the appraiser's work for the lender so they are very conservative. You need a all cash sale or the buyer will have to come up with the difference in cash. It's just a waiting game to find the right buyer. I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know. I will be selling myself next year and moving to Asheville. I anticipate having the same problem. Many in my building end up with cash buyers.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
I had to get it zoned specifically for a B & B by the local P & Z board. I don't think that's considered business or commercial zoning, but I could be wrong.

I've had two realtors (friends of friends) tell me I should raise the price by 15%, which tells me they have no clue. I think I'll take my chances selling it on my own for now, thank you. I'm confident the price is right.

Why didn't you give accurate information in your first post then? We cannot give you an honest opinion or even remotely accurate advice if the OP doesn't present the scenario.

Again, best wishes in getting to the closing table with a good buyer.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM

474 posts, read 840,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
"Well, the first one backed out because his lender wouldn't lend the full amount because the appraisal came in lower than the contract price. We told the buyer upfront that this would happen, but I guess he wasn't paying attention."
I live in a highrise in downtown Chicago. We have the same problem selling in my building. The prices are going up but the properties won't appraise out. It doesn't mean the house isn't worth the price, the appraiser's work for the lender so they are very conservative. You need a all cash sale or the buyer will have to come up with the difference in cash. It's just a waiting game to find the right buyer. I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know. I will be selling myself next year and moving to Asheville. I anticipate having the same problem. Many in my building end up with cash buyers.
Good luck.
Thanks, and good luck to you next year, OG. Yeah, we're thinking the buyer will have to bring cash. We had one cash buyer look at our property three times recently. They may still make an offer, but it's one of those cases where the woman is in love with the house and wants it, but the man doesn't. We're hoping he old phrase "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy" will apply.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Why didn't you give accurate information in your first post then? We cannot give you an honest opinion or even remotely accurate advice if the OP doesn't present the scenario.

Again, best wishes in getting to the closing table with a good buyer.
I didn't start the thread to discuss how I could sell my house, I started it so all of us home sellers could commiserate with each other.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
we did not even try to sell the house in Delaware where we moved from, since the market was very slow. we found great tenants though, who just renewed the lease agreement for another year. would renting/rent to own be an option for you ?
I assume you would be renting in Asheville as well, at least for the first months to get an idea and to be ready for the right property ?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
we did not even try to sell the house in Delaware where we moved from, since the market was very slow. we found great tenants though, who just renewed the lease agreement for another year. would renting/rent to own be an option for you ?
I assume you would be renting in Asheville as well, at least for the first months to get an idea and to be ready for the right property ?
Hi Queen,
The market is not too bad here and is expected to get much better over the next couple of years due to oil in the area. We do not want to rent or rent to own, as we want to pay cash for our house in Asheville. All we want is a small 2/1 within 15 minutes from downtown.
Yes, we will be renting in Asheville for the first month or two, but we want to buy quickly. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we can afford and where to look. I check Zillow daily and have perused the last 150 pages of this forum.
Glad you found some good tenants. One more thing you don't have to worry about.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
I've bought and sold six properties over the course of my life so far, sometimes with realtors on both sides of the transaction, sometimes seller to buyer with an attorney/title company facilitating, somes with a realtor bringing a buyer to me as a seller. If selling by owner, I always leave it open to letting a realtor bring a buyer and I'm more than willing to pay the commish for their side of the transaction. It's worked out well for me in the past. One thing I've found, if you have an experienced realtor, they're very good at taking the emotion out of the transaction, which is often a reason that seller to buyer transactions fail.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've bought and sold six properties over the course of my life so far, sometimes with realtors on both sides of the transaction, sometimes seller to buyer with an attorney/title company facilitating, somes with a realtor bringing a buyer to me as a seller. If selling by owner, I always leave it open to letting a realtor bring a buyer and I'm more than willing to pay the commish for their side of the transaction. It's worked out well for me in the past. One thing I've found, if you have an experienced realtor, they're very good at taking the emotion out of the transaction, which is often a reason that seller to buyer transactions fail.
Hi kmarc,
Yep, everywhere we've got the house listed we've welcomed realtors, meaning we'll pay their commission. Good point about realtors taking the emotion out of the transaction. We could really use some of that about now. If the appraisals weren't so far off, we'd seriously consider listing.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times
Do you have any suggestions where I can find a short term rental in Asheville? I too want to purchase a house but I need time to get to know the area.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
I have had my home in Swannanoa on the market for 3 years with no luck. I have it listed 30 grand less than appraised and 55 grand less than i paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina