Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Average price of a home in there is about $450K. Still interested ?
I'm not interested in any way - average is $450 and some could be a bit less - I'd like to know what to not bother looking at online. Is it the Biltmore Lake place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm not interested in any way - average is $450 and some could be a bit less - I'd like to know what to not bother looking at online. Is it the Biltmore Lake place?
Not that I know of, but I'm sure they have their off the wall rules too. Always get and read the HOA up to date rules and regs before making an offer, or make your offer subject to reading them.

Most good Realtors will have a copy of the Covenants etc. right in their office files. And I'm very serious about the house and door paint color issues too. Some also have roof color regs. HOAs can be quite restricting, that's why they call 'em "Restrictive Covenants". But, all that aside, there are some very nice developments and subdivisions with reasonable rules; it is just a matter of your own way of life and what you will or won't put up with.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Not that I know of, but I'm sure they have their off the wall rules too. Always get and read the HOA up to date rules and regs before making an offer, or make your offer subject to reading them.

Most good Realtors will have a copy of the Covenants etc. right in their office files. And I'm very serious about the house and door paint color issues too. Some also have roof color regs. HOAs can be quite restricting, that's why they call 'em "Restrictive Covenants". But, all that aside, there are some very nice developments and subdivisions with reasonable rules; it is just a matter of your own way of life and what you will or won't put up with.
You're avoiding my initial question

Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You're avoiding my initial question
Yes, I am.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Default opened my eyes

Wow,
So much information and so many heartfelt posts. I've had a few days to think about all that you have said and process the information. I can tell that many of you are animal lovers and have had to accept that roadkill is a fact of living in the country. I understand the need to hunt deer, especially for food, but it still hurts me to know it's happening. I will never "toughen up" enough that seeing a animal that has been hit by a car doesn't upset me. I understand wild creatures being hit by a car, but not dogs and cats. Pets should not be roaming free in an area where there is traffic. It seems like people who live in rural areas have a different attitude toward pets than what I'm used to. The post about the neighbors dogs who killed the lady's cat and kittens is exactly the kind of person I would want to avoid at all costs. If someone did that to my cats I would take swift action and he would pay a high price for killing my pets. I read another post on here about a poor retired man who's neighbor's dogs barked constantly. This poor man just about went insane trying to get the dogs to stop disturbing him. I don't want to have to deal with that kind of neighbor. In that light, I feel a planned community would be best for me.
I love the beauty and mountains of North Carolina. I will do my best to understand country life and not go around trying to change people. If I see a animal that has been injured, I will try and help it by taking it to a vet for treatment. I am going to volunteer at a animal rescue group and I'm sure they can give me advice on helping injured animals. I also saw a rescue group that stops people from tethering their dogs. I won't just sit by and watch animals being abused or neglected. I will try and make positive changes to the community.
Thank you for all of your insights. I feel I am better prepared for life in the country.
Donna

Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Donna, I've lived in far western NC and am now over the border in north Georgia. I've been in the area since 2001. It was a real culture shock to see how pets were treated by many locals.

I've posted about it before. Due to the efforts of volunteers with persistence, the situation has gotten somewhat better.

Closer to Asheville, it's probably even better than where I am because there is more population, civilization and organization there.

One thing that should help you to feel better about the deer is to consider the lives of animals raised for meat by the big producers - the stuff you buy in the grocery store. Many of these animals live in horrific conditions. Any deer in the forest has a superior life compared to that, even considering hunters. I can't figure out why people who buy meat in the grocery store (unless humanely raised) feel superior to hunters at all.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Shooting Stars said: "I can't figure out why people who buy meat in the grocery store (unless humanely raised) feel superior to hunters at all." I agree with you 100% and that is why I don't eat meat.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Wow,
So much information and so many heartfelt posts. I've had a few days to think about all that you have said and process the information. I can tell that many of you are animal lovers and have had to accept that roadkill is a fact of living in the country. I understand the need to hunt deer, especially for food, but it still hurts me to know it's happening. I will never "toughen up" enough that seeing a animal that has been hit by a car doesn't upset me. I understand wild creatures being hit by a car, but not dogs and cats. Pets should not be roaming free in an area where there is traffic. It seems like people who live in rural areas have a different attitude toward pets than what I'm used to. The post about the neighbors dogs who killed the lady's cat and kittens is exactly the kind of person I would want to avoid at all costs. If someone did that to my cats I would take swift action and he would pay a high price for killing my pets. I read another post on here about a poor retired man who's neighbor's dogs barked constantly. This poor man just about went insane trying to get the dogs to stop disturbing him. I don't want to have to deal with that kind of neighbor. In that light, I feel a planned community would be best for me.
I love the beauty and mountains of North Carolina. I will do my best to understand country life and not go around trying to change people. If I see a animal that has been injured, I will try and help it by taking it to a vet for treatment. I am going to volunteer at a animal rescue group and I'm sure they can give me advice on helping injured animals. I also saw a rescue group that stops people from tethering their dogs. I won't just sit by and watch animals being abused or neglected. I will try and make positive changes to the community.
Thank you for all of your insights. I feel I am better prepared for life in the country.
Donna
Donna - You and I think so much alike about this. I volunteered at a local animal shelter for 3 years and intend to do the same when I get there. It does bother me terribly when I see animals abused. I had everything from 2 mini schnauzers to a giant nuefy here - the animals stayed at my home while I fostered them.

Til then~~~

Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
many older neighborhoods allow you to have fences. we live in Ballantree (south asheville), we don't have too many rules here (ballantree was established over 40 years ago - or so ) and many neighbors have fences. only backyard fences though, which I like.
we looked at newer neighborhoods as well but were not ok with getting an ok from the board before planting any plants in our front yard (not talking about weed ).

I walk my dog through west asheville Montford, Tacoma circle, pearson drive, etc) once a week and I really like, that you can find all types of houses - architectural delights ! also fences, chicken houses (with chicks), community garden - lovely. and so many people walking their dogs. It's like going to the newsstand with my dog, she just can't get enough from sniffing around.
If I did not have to look for the best public schools available - I would have moved to west asheville for sure.
I am surprised Asvl has so many different neighborhoods - I didn't think it was big enough to have so many different areas- but it is.

I have never lived in a HOA - I have never liked the idea of someone dictating what I do with my property. I will probably have to bite the bullet this time around, but I will be careful not to move into one that has ridiculous rules. Backyard fences solve/alleviate many potential problems.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM

My condo has a HOA and it can be very frustrating at times. I don't mind the rules because they usually are for my benefit. Neighbors making noise is a biggie and I'm happy to have rules on that issue. What becomes a problem is if the board members become too "powerful". On the other side of the coin, without a HOA you could have the "neighbors from hell" and just have to tolerate them. In my opinion that would be worse. I love dogs but many people don't see a problem putting a dog in their yard and allowing it to bark all day. That's part of why I don't like to see houses with fenced in back yards. I would rather be in a area with a dog park that is shared by everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina