U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share some scenic routes through the mountains of North Carolina other than the famous Blue Ridge Parkway.

High Country & Foot Hills

Upper Yadkin Way: Length: 25 miles,. Drive Time: 40 minutes.
From Patterson near Grandfather Mountain to Goshen just outside the Wilkesboro Reservoir, this rural route follows NC 268 along the Upper Yadkin River from the mountains to gently rolling foothills of the Piedmont. Historically a farming region, today the traveler will see acres of vineyards, horticultural nurseries and turf farms alongside more traditional crops.

U.S. 421 Scenic Byway: Length: 8 miles Drive Time: 15 minutes
Through Watauga County's portion of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the byway offers sweeping views of the valleys, woodlands, and mountains between Deep Gap and Boone.
The byway then ascends a ridge, providing motorists with panoramic views of Snake Mountain and Elk Knob.

New River Valley Byway Length: 35 miles Drive Time: 75 minutes
Stretching from the high country of Boone to Laurel Springs, the Byway follows State Roads 194 and 88 along the way, is one of the oldest rivers in the world, ironically named the "New River," and pass the largest concentration of Christmas tree farms in the country.

Mission Crossing Length: 17 miles Drive Time: 45 minutes
On State Road 194 between Cranberry and Vila, this Scenic Byway is well-traveled in the winter ski season, as it gives access to the largest concentration of ski resorts in North Carolina. The route also passes numerous spots of historical interest, including the old mission in Valle Crucis, the 19th century Mast Farm Inn and the original Mast General Store, founded in 1882.

Little Parkway Length: 18 miles Drive Time: 45 minutes
Passes the natural wonders of the Linville Gorge and Falls, Linville Caverns, and Grandfather Mountain, as well as the back entrance to the Moses H. Cone Memorial Park.

South Mountain Scenery Length: 33 miles Drive Time: 45 minutes
This country route, State Road 226, meanders through cornfields and apple orchards themn skirts beautiful South Mountain State Park.

Pisgah Loop Scenic Byway Length: 47 miles Drive Time: 2.5 hours
View some of North Carolina's most beautiful and remote landscapes. Begins north of Morganton at the intersection of N.C. 181 and Fish Hatchery Road (S.R. 1240). Following N.C. 181 north for 17 miles along Steele Creek, It rises and winds up into the Pisgah National Forest with views of Lake James, Table Rock and Hawksbill Mountain.

Lower and western side of North Carolina Appalachian mountains to come.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,062,113 times
hwy 11 in upstate sc

Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Central to Lower NC Appalachians

Black Mountain Rag
Length: 31 miles Drive Time: 45 minutes
The route follows State Highway 9 to Bat Cave, then forks. Drivers can opt to take US 64 southeasterly past Hickory Nut Gorge and Chimney Rock State Park to Lake Lure, or travel in a southwesterly direction on US 64 west to the apple orchards of Edneyville.

Drovers Road Length: 16.5 miles Drive Time: 25 minutes
It takes travelers through the scenic Hickory Nut Gorge, near Chimney Rock State Park and Lake Lure.

French Broad Overview
Length: 17 miles Drive Time: 25 minutes
From Weaverville, to Alexander and then north on US 251 to just past Marshall, this Scenic Byway winds through rolling hills and peaceful farmland along the French Broad River.

Historic Flat Rock Scenic Byway Length: 8.3 miles Drive Time: 20 minutes
Consists of several roads in the Flat Rock community, near Hendersonville. The village was a popular haven for affluent Charlestonians, Europeans and plantation owners.
The eight-mile byway leads past many beautiful historic homes, the St. John in the Wilderness gothic revival church, the Flat Rock Playhouse, the Historic Woodfield Inn, and the Carl Sandburg Home historic site.

Pacolet River Byway
Length: 10 miles Drive Time: 20 minutes
Runs along US 176 between Tryon and Saluda, in the southwestern part of North Carolina.
Includies passing old railroad depots, log cabins, and the Saluda Grade, the steepest mainline railroad grade in the country and Pearson's Falls.

Forest Heritage Scenic Byway Length: 65 miles Drive Time: 2 hours
Will pass beautiful mountain scenery and waterfalls and have the opportunity to stop in Brevard and at the Cradle of Forestry
Follows State Highway 276 northward out of Brevard to Woodrow, then turns south again on State Highway 215 to Rosman.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM

10,231 posts, read 14,082,661 times
www.cherohalaskyway.com

www.tailofthedragon.com/cherohala.html‎

all day long

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks fr additions Tale of the dragon link not working.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM

If you have been on any of the byways mention or want to share one or your experience please do. I would love to here what makes each great.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 AM

10,231 posts, read 14,082,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks fr additions Tale of the dragon link not working.
Sorry, I should have tried it before posting. This one should work:

www.tailofthedragon.com

It is a very popular motorcycled ride/drive; however, there have been many deaths on that road, very windy like a dragon's tail. When driving on the Dragon, folks need to respect the road and use common sense. That is really the only way to enjoy it. I believe some articles about the Dragon will note there many crosses and memorabilia nailed to trees at various curves. (The state I believe has put some hard restrictions on the road this year.)

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,898,632 times
I drive between Winston-Salem and Boone on 421 and I love the views, especially coming up the mountain.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry, I should have tried it before posting. This one should work:

www.tailofthedragon.com

It is a very popular motorcycled ride/drive; however, there have been many deaths on that road, very windy like a dragon's tail. When driving on the Dragon, folks need to respect the road and use common sense. That is really the only way to enjoy it. I believe some articles about the Dragon will note there many crosses and memorabilia nailed to trees at various curves. (The state I believe has put some hard restrictions on the road this year.)
It looks fun reminds me of riding Trail of the Lonesome Pine on VA/KY. Which I highly recommend. Trail of the Lonesome Pine | Kentucky Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

What city does Tail of dragon start and where does it end? Also what is there to see where it ends.
I figure it popular on weekends does it have a lot of weekday traffic with slow moving vehicles?

I like riding with my partner in his mustang on fun roads.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
I drive between Winston-Salem and Boone on 421 and I love the views, especially coming up the mountain.
I love the coasting on that road, you can almost reach Wilkesboro with out using the gas, However, gotta watch out for the HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina