Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM

23 posts, read 83,957 times

Advertisements

Hey can someone tell me of any awesome walking trails in Asheville. I know there are a **** ton of them but I just moved here and I'm still learning the roads and where everything is. I live on Leicester Hwy off Patton, trying to find a trail that is close by, not too difficult but that is at least 2-3 miles long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
Here is a link to some city owned walking trails. The Richmond Hills trail shouldn't be too far from you
Hiking in the City of Asheville, North Carolina

Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,742 times
Richmond Hill Park is worth a visit.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:19 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Here is a link to some city owned walking trails. The Richmond Hills trail shouldn't be too far from you
Hiking in the City of Asheville, North Carolina
Check out a quote from the link you posted sums up why Asheville wasn't a good fit for me. Glad to see the investment being made as that will be good for future visitors (like me) looking for a walkable and bike friendly city.

"Unfortunately, due to Asheville's narrow, twisty streets and winding mountain highways, and the abysmal state of city sidewalks, the city has not been very pedestrian or bicycle friendly in the past. In 2005 the City identified almost twenty-seven MILLION dollars of needed sidewalk construction, upgrades, and repairs. The Greenways project represents a major step forward for the city, from just being close to places to walk and bike, to being one itself."

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Check out a quote from the link you posted sums up why Asheville wasn't a good fit for me. Glad to see the investment being made as that will be good for future visitors (like me) looking for a walkable and bike friendly city.

"Unfortunately, due to Asheville's narrow, twisty streets and winding mountain highways, and the abysmal state of city sidewalks, the city has not been very pedestrian or bicycle friendly in the past. In 2005 the City identified almost twenty-seven MILLION dollars of needed sidewalk construction, upgrades, and repairs. The Greenways project represents a major step forward for the city, from just being close to places to walk and bike, to being one itself."
and the quote above that states:
Asheville Greenways

Although the situation is starting to improve, a lot of the discussion about Greenways in Asheville has thus far been about dreams and politics. However, the city has begun a multi-year, multi-million dollar project under the Asheville Greenways Master Plan which, if it gets funding and community support, will eventually offer a minimum of 29 miles of multi-use trails through 14 corridors. The greenways will connect to parks, rivers, and even long distance regional trails such as North Carolina's Mountains to Sea Trail and planned Buncombe County greenways. New construction has been happening slowly at sites around the city, but several of these greenways are well underway, with segments ready for the public to use and enjoy.
Existing Asheville Greenways

• Reed Creek Greenway (about 1.5 miles, connects with trails at the Botanical Gardens of UNCA)
  • Glenn's Creek Greenway
  • French Broad River Greenway (another, 2-mile section was recently completed!)
  • Swannanoa River Greenway / Azalea Park (short sections completed)
  • River Bend (very short but nice section completed at the Wal-Mart shopping center
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Asheville has A LOT more outdoor opportunities than any other city I have been in. We recently had a friend visit for 10 days. She walks after almost every meal. She walked Lake Louise and Beaver lake on alternating days. We walked downtown Weaverville several times, we walked around the Kimberly Avenue, North Asheville neighborhoods, we walked around the Mars Hill College Campus, the UNCA Botanical Gardens, the WNC Arboretum, several BRP trails....... we never ran out of places to walk and hike. Asheville may need improving on it's greenways but it offer a lot more than most cities it's size.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM

118 posts, read 279,215 times
The Blue Ridge Parkway has the Mountain To Sea trail; which runs adjacent to the parkway itself. It is long, but not difficult; great for walking, running, or hiking. Dog walkers are very common on this trail, too.

If you want a more difficult climb, consider going to Mt. Mitchell or Chimney Rock; farther away but much more challenging for hikes.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM

23 posts, read 83,957 times
Thank you all for help. I appreciate it. Will definitely check them out. And to the other poster about the bicycle and walk paths. I would most definitely agree with you on that. I thought about getting a bike to ride to work so I could ditch the truck but I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to get to my destination without eiether making a lot of drivers very mad or possibly getting myself killed because it is not a very bike friendly city, unless I lived and worked directly downtown but who can afford that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina