Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM

86 posts, read 243,237 times

Advertisements

Interesting Links!

This map, click on a county and then see how many people are moving in or out of that county. Some counties are very healthy and others make you wonder if the county will be a ghost town one day.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Now on "Well Being" report you can see areas that are rated based on healthy lifestyle choices and options. Super interesting as well. On this map Hickory, NC is rated VERY VERY LOW. Makes me so sad! I used to live in Hickory, NC -- what is happening there? Will I be able to move back one day? Hickory has so much potential!!!! GREAT people in that town!

http://www.well-beingindex.com/files...siteReport.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Why is Asheville NC rated so low???

Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
It's a typical Forbes snippet 'survey', imo...like many mags, they need to fill space and have a weekly 'survey' of 'best places to live'/'cheapest states'/'most liked cities' etc., and should be taken with a grain of salt, imo.
GL, mD

Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Why is Asheville NC rated so low???
Just speculating:
Life Evaluation -
Emotional Health - unemployed, those working long hours/two jobs, retirees near the end of life
Work Environment - low wages, easily replaced if you slip up
Physical Health - many retirees are naturally less healthy physically
Healthy Behaviors - beer and food are two of the main attractions
Basic Access -

Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I love that Forbes map. The guy who designed it no longer works there, though, so the data in it is from 2010. Their latest data presentation isn't as dynamic or pretty.

I am surprised that Asheville got low marks on well-being, but I would agree that it probably has to do w/ life evaluation and maybe the basic access questions, too. I think a fair number of people move to Asheville expecting some kind of utopia and then are disillusioned. The question topics are at the bottom of this page: Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index - Methodology .

As for Hickory, I'm not surprised at that.

You can see the breakdown of NC answers here: http://www.well-beingindex.com/files...tateReport.pdf .

I think this is an annual survey that Gallup is now doing since they have 2011 and 2012 results only. I imagine we will get a fuller picture over time as they are able to compare.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Tremendous amount of accolades (a/k/a great marketing) for Asheville named "Happiest City in the USA".

Asheville Accolades and Media Praise | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Mmmmm.....emotional health of retirees at end of life may lower Asheville's score? Most that I know are a pretty happy and healthy lot and arel thrilled they live in such a beautiful area full of things to do, good restaurants, interesting people.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Mmmmm.....emotional health of retirees at end of life may lower Asheville's score? Most that I know are a pretty happy and healthy lot and arel thrilled they live in such a beautiful area full of things to do, good restaurants, interesting people.

Well, unfortunately you misunderstood or inadvertently twisted the meaning of the link I posted. Most people I know are very happy and healthy here, and quite content living in such a beautiful area full of things to do, etc. Nothing I said related in any way to the "emotional health of retirees at end of life may lower Asheville's score".

The Gallup poll is intended to be just that, a 2-year poll based on available statistics. The link I posted is made up of magazine articles, news articles, and marketing information aimed at tourists and tourism, for folks considering relocation covering several years of published articles.

Are you still considering retiring to Corrales, New Mexico as you posted in early March of this year? Another beautiful area, in a different way of course. Best wishes, I'm sure it would be a difficult choice, mostly weather-wise, but I fully understand about that great southwestern dining!

It is marketing that attracts people from all over the world to Asheville and its surrounding areas that have something special to offer its subscribers or websites. The increase in population for new permanent residents as well as second and third home part-time residents is due in great part to excellent marketing, as well as a tremendous amount of word of mouth. Many vacationers return to retire here when they are ready.

Evidently you don't follow my posts; I am one of the most active cheerleaders on this Western NC forum. Maybe you will stay here after all.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 05-30-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina