Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

In response to MrRational:

We have seen many houses in the $90,000 range that need no work, just a new family. Modular is okay for us. 15 miles outside of town is okay with us.

We would both have jobs lined up and at least 1 years living expenses before we turned the key to leave. We would also be leaving debt free.

The stats you gave are helpful if they were true and accurate. We have lived in NY all of our lives. We know how much we make, how much they take, and how much is left. My property tax on our home in NY is more than our mortgage, tax, and insurance would be in NC. Everything in NY is taxed at the highest rate in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM

4,784 posts, read 10,587,845 times
Boone & Banner Elk are in the higher elevations, as are several other towns/areas of western NC.
Hickory, Lenoir, et al, are not in 'mountains' by any stretch...easy to get caught up in the very large area of 'western NC'.

Do some GOOG Map viewing to get a feel for towns and places in 'western NC', and wiki those town names you are interested in.

If you haven't already, do some solid reading on this forum plugging in place/town names for threads on 'what is it like there', in the Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner of main 'western NC forum' page.

Not in the RE, but that $90Gs is a fairly low number for houses with any view or any elevation, or not down in the holler, and remote...just a cursory opin.

We lived in NY for 30 years just NW of the City, (my wife is from LI), and we moved to western NC in Sept 2001. I hear you on the taxes, esp as we were both working then, and had NYC city, county, state and Fed tax on our incomes, and our modest house, (modestly priced then, lol!), had enormous taxes. We spent considerable time in the Finger Lakes region, via a couple get away trips per year, during that 3 decades. Nice area, with some ever better wines; we saw that area 'grow' from handsful of lookers to serious tourist biz, over that time period.

Good luck on your hunt; time is on your side, but some serious map investigation, forum reading and house hunting is in order...not to mention some serious feet on the ground time in western NC.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 06-01-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 770,351 times
You may end up with a lower net, but this can be offset by a lower cost of living, depending on where you move to. Plus there's that whole "quality of life" thing that NY is lacking these days.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM

What is really depressing for us is the fact that we have to wait almost 2 years. I have to sell my business, small house with my shop, and our primary house. We are also paying down are debts so we can move not owing anything. We also want our kids to get a little farther in school
( that part can change ).

Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM

83 posts, read 265,871 times
As I mentioned in a previous post, NC is not the best state to be a TA

Cabarrus County Schools lays off 129 teacher assistants - The Independent Tribune: News

Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,506,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, NC is not the best state to be a TA

Cabarrus County Schools lays off 129 teacher assistants - The Independent Tribune: News

Cabarrus County is not in Western NC. Nevertheless, the OP will be doing a lot of research before making the move in approx. two years. By then, other factors may have changed.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

We are trying to get a few days off this summer to visit the areas I mentioned earlier. Once we get there we probably won't want to come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina