Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Hello My husband and I are thinking of moving to western nc/north-west sc mountain area. My husband is 73, retired and much older than me. He is not the golf type. We would enjoy being near a lake, as we like to kayak. Looking for a low humidity climate, thus the mountain area (at least I hope!!!) We are Christian conservative, and mention that only because it might help someone steer us towards an area with plenty of churches to choose from. We would be looking for a new house in a development with mature trees still intact, with a reputable builder in the low 200's. Not necessarily a 55+ community, but perhaps it might be the best age fit. I am 44 and get along with all different ages of people. We have two large dogs so would need a fenced yard. We come from the NYC/Long Island area and are looking to enjoy not having to live paycheck to paycheck. I work f/t at a stressful job in advertising and want a simpler life to enjoy the rest of my husbands retirement years. I have researched many towns and it has been very helpful yet overwhelming! But nothing can compare to firsthand knowledge of an area from someone who lives/works in that area. Looking to take a trip there in the coming weeks and am trying to pinpoint an area. Also, is it possible to build a brand new home for the low 200s?? Heartfelt thanks in advance for any info you can provide!! It's much appreciated )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
There are many beautiful areas along the mountains. I would start in Ashe County - really cute town of West Jefferson. Then look at Wilkes county, I like Wilkes County because it is in the foothills so the weather is a bit milder than a few miles west, it is a bit cheaper but you can still get property with long range views, you have easy access to a decent hospital, Kerr lake. 30-45 mins to Boone, Blowing Rock and Winston Salem is an hours to the east which provides plenty to do and there are tons of churches.

Then head over to Boone (more of a college town) but there are some skiing places around, then head south to Blowing Rock. Blowing Rock is pretty. Then start heading south -- others will chime in to say where to look between Blowing Rock and Asheville and then keep going below Asheville. You could take a week or so to look at it all (or more).

Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Lake Lure area might work for you or Hendersonville a beautiful small town. This isn't really lake country but tons of rivers and sure some are easy paddles. One word of caution we do have humidity up here, not as high as piedmont and coast but it can get pretty sticky. Good luck finding your special place, many of us up here have found ours!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jornah View Post
H We would enjoy being near a lake, as we like to kayak. Looking for a low humidity climate, thus the mountain area (at least I hope!!!)
Do you mean low humidity compared to other parts of NC and the South, or do you really mean low humidity?

It makes a difference. If you want low humidity, you will need to look at other parts of the country, as you will not find it in NC. Even Boone has higher afternoon humidity than what you're used to, though lower high temperatures in the summer. The higher morning humidity, though, makes it feel hot all day long, even if you get up early to "beat the heat." (I chose Boone because it's the coolest of your options; the rest will all be much hotter. Boone is also expensive.)

You might still love NC for other reasons, but the climate isn't what you seem to be looking for.

Boone, NC:

Hendersonville, NC:

Hicksville, NY:

Temperature comparison for Hicksville and Boone:
Climatology Comparison - weather.com

Temperature comparison for Hicksville and Hendersonville:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...cid1=&clocid2=

How about Flagstaff, AZ, or somewhere in Colorado or in the NW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina