Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM

62 posts, read 135,829 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I am looking for a non-paid farm position on a local farm which focuses on organic crops/orchards/animal husbandry either for CSA's, wholesale or for a homesteader!

I am open to a non-paid position but would LOVE experience and beautiful surroundings!

Does anyone know of a good opportunity with like minded folks in this area?

Do you know a better place to look than where I have looked?

Do you or someone you know need a farm hand who will do anything?

All links and advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
perhaps check with county extension office or the state dept of agriculture?

good luck

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM

128 posts, read 222,391 times
Have you heard of "woofers" - I think it might be what you are looking for: WWOOF-USA® - Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms, USA

Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM

thank you to the oldnorthstate and cltpeep. I have checked out wwoofing. There are options there. Just wanted some others =D But I could check with the dept. of ag. That is an interesting. It might be more large scale and less of a 'homesteading' theme.

just thought I'd see how city-data would respond. I might be in the wrong forum for this kind of thing.

but I can either go back to a masters degree program or do something like work on a farm?!

what would you do?!

where would you go?!

THANKS!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Why not just call the CSA's in the area? If they don't have an internship, they might kow someone who does. You could also try going the the Asheville or Watauga farmer's markets and asking in person there.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM

474 posts, read 840,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya21 View Post
thank you to the oldnorthstate and cltpeep. I have checked out wwoofing. There are options there. Just wanted some others =D But I could check with the dept. of ag. That is an interesting. It might be more large scale and less of a 'homesteading' theme.

just thought I'd see how city-data would respond. I might be in the wrong forum for this kind of thing.

but I can either go back to a masters degree program or do something like work on a farm?!

what would you do?!

where would you go?!

THANKS!
I'd go work on a farm in Europe. My uncle did this in Switzerland and he's always said it was the best experience of his life.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM

thanks ucctgg and bilbono.

I am seriously thinking of going overseas. Although I would really like to go to Latin America/South America...

need some courage =D

Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM

17 posts, read 39,009 times
Check your messages. You find the info you are seekin there. Well, I say you will...maybe !!

Last edited by greg_n_ga; 06-06-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
We have a small farm in Rutherford county,about 60 miles from Asheville.
Started up about 2 years ago and still trying to get established but getting there.
PM me if interested in knowing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina