U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM

76 posts, read 55,871 times
Default Bele Chere 2013-Worth the Trip?

[SIZE=3]Hi guys![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am seriously contemplating going to Bele Chere. It was a highlight of my summer (I grew up in Asheville) but I havenít been back to Asheville for the festival since 1997. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice as to if it would be worth the trip (I am coming from DC, but Iím also visiting family (and plus I heard the festival might be moved elsewhere). I have checked the website, but I wanted to see if some things are the same from what I remember.[/SIZE]
I read the forum an noticed some comments about Bele Chere from 2010. Any updates? Can you breifly rate the following:

Safety
How much you will spend on food (assuming only one meal)
Congestion/Accessibility for the handicapped (my dad is in a wheelchair)
Good times for the 30+ crowd (block parties)
Where to stay to be close to the action? [SIZE=3]The Grand Bohemian-I plan to stay here it just looks amazing from the website. Has anyone stayed here before?[/SIZE]

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM

497 posts, read 590,163 times
If you think you want to go to another Bele Chere, 2013 may well be your last chance. I have not heard about the possibility of Bele Chere being moved, although I guess it is a possibility. The more likely scenario is it will be scrapped since the city is removing it from the budget. That leaves them looking for private funding, and given its track record financially and the potential liability, that is unlikely to happen. So, it is probably "now or never."

We don't get anywhere near downtown during Bele Chere, so I can't help you with anything but the last question. To sound Clintonian, it depends on the definition of "close." "Walking close" is going to be a downtown hotel. The Aloft, Hotel Indigo, Haywood Park, the Renaissance are all downtown.

But, while I have not stayed there (and I live here, so why would I?), everybody I have talked to that stayed at the Grand Bohemian was quite happy. I've been to the bar there and also eaten at the restaurant, and it seemed quite nice. It is probably 2 - 2.5 miles from the festival. They run shuttles to and from Bele Chere, but I don't know where they originate or the route.

A bit of a funny story about the Grand Bohemian. I travel a fair amout for work. One week I was returning home on a Thursday afternoon and was seated next to a woman who was visiting Asheville with some friends (also on the plane). I remember it being late winter. She asked me a bunch of questions about where to eat and such, and said they were staying at the Grand Bohemian. The following Monday I was heading out again, and wound up seated next to the same woman on the outbound flight. It had snowed during their visit, but it had not slowed them down. She said they loved the Grand Bohemian.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 AM

76 posts, read 55,871 times
Thanks! As a girl growing up I always loved the FOOD. I can't wait to visit Asheville again! I miss my hometown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina