Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,421 times

Advertisements

Hello-
We are looking at homes in Brevard next week while we are on vacation. I'm somewhat concerned about the quality/speed of the internet that is available in the area. I'll be telecommuting for my job if we move to town and with that I will need reliable high speed internet, faster the better for dealing with large files and VOIP phone.

I'm hoping there are folks from Brevard on here with recommendations and/or testimonials on their experience with local ISPs. Speed test results would be very helpful as sometimes you get a good download speed but upload can be lacking and that is also important. You can do that at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Can't wait to explore town next week and hopefully find a home!

Thanks for any responses in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,773 times
Sorry, but 11 MPBS is considered "high speed" here. There is only one service provider in the county, Comporium. They're rates are absolutely ridiculous. I'm paying $70/mo for 11 MBPS and a router for two computers. And yes, upload sucks at .9 MBPS. I wish I had better news for you. Just up the road in Henderson County, the choices are MUCH better. Good luck with your move!

Tracey

Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebrevard View Post
Hello-
We are looking at homes in Brevard next week while we are on vacation. I'm somewhat concerned about the quality/speed of the internet that is available in the area. I'll be telecommuting for my job if we move to town and with that I will need reliable high speed internet, faster the better for dealing with large files and VOIP phone.

I'm hoping there are folks from Brevard on here with recommendations and/or testimonials on their experience with local ISPs. Speed test results would be very helpful as sometimes you get a good download speed but upload can be lacking and that is also important. You can do that at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Can't wait to explore town next week and hopefully find a home!

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Unless you have to live in Brevard, may I ask why you've zeroed in on Brevard (Transylvania County) ? There are so many other lovely areas just over the county line in Henderson County.

e.g. Mills River, Etowah, Laurel Park, Penrose (Crab Creek area) for example. Beautiful subdivisions or country homes in those areas are an easy drive to Brevard and an easy drive to shopping and festivities.

Is this your first visit to the area?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,421 times
We've visited Asheville several times but this is our first trip to Brevard. We like all the things the town has to offer. We are a low car household, preferring to walk or bike for every possible trip so we plan to live in town and Brevard seems to have a good layout and enough amenities to keep us happy. We kept looking at Asheville and like it there but find it to be too expensive. I'm sure the other towns mentioned are great but they seem a bit car centric from what I've seen. Would love to hear more or otherwise though!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebrevard View Post
We've visited Asheville several times but this is our first trip to Brevard. We like all the things the town has to offer. We are a low car household, preferring to walk or bike for every possible trip so we plan to live in town and Brevard seems to have a good layout and enough amenities to keep us happy. We kept looking at Asheville and like it there but find it to be too expensive. I'm sure the other towns mentioned are great but they seem a bit car centric from what I've seen. Would love to hear more or otherwise though!

Asheville is not your cup of tea, I get that. But Asheville is not Hendersonville, 24 miles to the south of Asheville, is a better city to get around in with or without a car, and the neighborhoods in the city are very walkable and not "car centric". I hope you can do more research/homework. Henderson County is much more family oriented and not isolated.

Many people get hung up on "Asheville" because "Asheville" as a "term" is promoted in all the marketing publications and online, etc. Brevard can be very isolating, and you cannot get by without a car in this area. Least of all getting in or out of Brevard; which is also a big retirement area and second home area; not particularly a family setting. With four children, and one compromised with Asperger's, I would not promote Brevard to any of my clients for a family with your circumstances until they have looked at all their options (I retired as a Realtor here 3 yrs. ago)

Best wishes, I hope you all can find your "sweet spot".

As for high speed internet, Morris Broadband is the provider in Henderson County and beyond.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-16-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina