U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,515 times
Default Moving to Asheville, North Carolina

My wife and I have four children ranging in ages from 3y to 15y and planning to move to Asheville in the coming months. I am an LCSW in Florida and recently submitted my app for Licensure in North Carolina. Seemingly lots to plan and look into in terms of where to live, schools and a job for myself. I have very little to no knowledge of Asheville and in keeping with being well informed I am beginning to reach out to make this move as successful for my family and I as possible. More to come. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM

5,263 posts, read 4,546,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dominic18 View Post
My wife and I have four children ranging in ages from 3y to 15y and planning to move to Asheville in the coming months. I am an LCSW in Florida and recently submitted my app for Licensure in North Carolina. Seemingly lots to plan and look into in terms of where to live, schools and a job for myself. I have very little to no knowledge of Asheville and in keeping with being well informed I am beginning to reach out to make this move as successful for my family and I as possible. More to come. Thank you

The best advice upfront is to do some serious homework regarding employment in this area. Jobs are not plentiful here, that will be your priority; and your relocation could be well in the future. Compare the cost of living and salary for your profession, and see if your wants and needs can be handled with possibly a lower salary and benefits which will vary widely by which County you choose.

If you have little or no knowledge of the Asheville area, it is high priority that you start spending some quality time, vacation or otherwise, here and not just "Asheville", a city on its own; to see how you actually like it. Do a lot of research, there are several threads right here on this topic that you will want to take the time to read through as many as you can.

After you decide where you would be comfortable and where you could get a job, investigate the schools. Relocating a 15 yr. old could be difficult on many levels.

We wish you the best !

Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM

many thinks. I am doing as much research as possible regrading schools, socio-economics, job opportunities, average annual salary in Asheville but also neighboring towns/cities. This is a HUGE deal for me and does not only effect me. But, also, my wife and four children. Again, thank you so much for your feedback. God Bless.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM

To add to my recent post, my wife and I are over the hot temps, the lack of topography and culture ad the overwhelmingly lack of kindness between people where we currently reside. We hope for a life in the Asheville North Carolina area in which people are decent to one another, respectful, kind and look to encourage and relate rather than everyone out for themselves. Schools in which my kids can have quality friendships and when they return home do not report of being bullied and struggling to fit in. Our time in Florida is nearing to an end. I will do all I can to research Asheville and surrounding areas so that my family and I can live and be happy and be a part of a community with success. As a husband and father of four I feel a huge responsibility towards moving my family from everything they have ever known keeping in mind that they are also dine here and are very eager and excited to move. Again, any feedback/suggestions/prayers are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 AM

5,263 posts, read 4,546,538 times
When you have the opportunity, vacation, etc., drive up here and explore the various smaller towns within a radius of Asheville of 20 miles or so. Do some research on home prices and see where you would be comfortable for your housing budget. Subscribe to the local newspapers and follow job searches on Monster.com and other employment searches. You don't have to live in or within a stone's throw to Asheville, because it is a lot more expensive to live there, as it is a big tourist area.

Here are some lovely towns within a reasonable distance of Asheville that you may want to consider according to your description of family friendly and laid back lifestyle. (You don't want to isolate the kids by getting too far out in the country.)

Not in any particular order, but these active areas will be what you could be looking for: Hendersonville, Laurel Park Village, Mills River, Fletcher, Arden, Fairview, Weaverville, Swannanoa, possibly Waynesville. These towns are either in Henderson County or Buncombe County (parts of Fletcher are in both). There are some nice family subdivisions in all of the above mentioned areas.

The first thing for you now, is to plan your first trip of a minimum of 5 or 6 days to look around and take in a few activities. You have a lot of homework to do, then get your FL house on the market and try to work out the timing.

There are some informative posters who will chime in here with replies for you and your family; this is a friendly welcoming area and you should be able to get some good suggestions and tips.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dominic18 View Post
To add to my recent post, my wife and I are over the hot temps, the lack of topography and culture ad the overwhelmingly lack of kindness between people where we currently reside. We hope for a life in the Asheville North Carolina area in which people are decent to one another, respectful, kind and look to encourage and relate rather than everyone out for themselves. Schools in which my kids can have quality friendships and when they return home do not report of being bullied and struggling to fit in. Our time in Florida is nearing to an end. I will do all I can to research Asheville and surrounding areas so that my family and I can live and be happy and be a part of a community with success. As a husband and father of four I feel a huge responsibility towards moving my family from everything they have ever known keeping in mind that they are also dine here and are very eager and excited to move. Again, any feedback/suggestions/prayers are greatly appreciated.
Not in Western NC but in the sandhills/uhwarrie area, but my son is doing a pharmacy rotation in Mount Pleasant NC and has had nothing but good to say of the small town of Mt Pleasant, NC. In fact the town had a parade over the weekend and he drove one of the pharmacy trucks, bringing his children who sat in the back throwing candy. They had a great time. He loved it, they loved it, and he had has nothing but nice to say about the town.

It seems to be right down your alley. But it is more in the Piedmont (where most small towns would be). So suggestion would be not to limit your search to the mountains but look for towns and areas throughout.

just take a nice vacation looking all around and be open to possibilities.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 AM

217 posts, read 152,861 times
With all of the above suggestions in mind, it will come down to where you can find a professional position, or are you thinking about a private practice? I retired from a 30 year mental health director position in Virginia as a LCSW. Veterans Affairs is greatly expanding MH services. If you have experience working with vets, being a veteran is a big plus, look into VA jobs. There are VAMC's in Asheville, Johnson City, TN and Salem (Roanoke) VA. In part my career benefited from being a veteran. One of the first programs I started was a counseling contract with Viet Nam vets that was expanding when I retired. Consider looking into openings in the Virginia Community Services Board system (public).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina