U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM

442 posts, read 929,760 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost per square foot for new construction in the Asheville area (Madison County)- I am not building a mini-mansion or anything - 1770 sq. ft. plus 165 sq. ft. loft area. Yes there is a steep road up to the site but we are planning to build on an excavated slab as opposed to a basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM

486 posts, read 58,141 times
I believe (from my experience and from researching the net) that you will find a wide range of costs depending on materials, location, builder, etc. I would guess that you can expect anywhere from $120 to $200 per square foot.

Look up new construction in the area where you want to build and you can figure out what it is going for there.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM

486 posts, read 58,141 times
My quick research for Madison County shows homes in the 1600 to 1900 square foot size, constructed in 2007, averaged around $135/square foot.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 PM

I have done a lot of research on real estate websites - including new construction in developments. Since our site is somewhat isolated (17minutes from downtown Marshall) don't laugh - we timed it!! There are quite a few 2600 sq. ft. homes for 350K in developments - but what I don't know is is there a mark up for a site that is steep? and what is that mark up?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

179 posts, read 428,180 times
A guy I know builds homes there, log only I believe. He told he that he had to use $200 per sq. ft. to make a fair profit. He has been at it for many years and says he has not seen any slow down in his business lately. In fact, he is booked for the next year.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 PM

92 posts, read 299,095 times
We've been quoted the $200/sq ft number as well when we were looking at a development in Madison County. However, we were told that at that price we would be looking at fairly high end materials (e.g. granite counters, stacked stone, stone fireplaces, slate/ceramic showers, cherry wood cabinets, viking/sub-zero appliances, etc). The implication was that you could probably do it for around $175/sq ft if you wanted to go with less expensive finish/materials. Location was about 35 miles NW of Asheville on a mountainside but lot was not steep. Steep, or difficult building sites would increase the site prep costs which can add substanitially to the overall cost/sq ft. I'm sure you could go cheaper if you want "simple cabin" or "routine subdivision" type construction.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Our construction will be part timber frame (gathering room) and the rest stick-built - no sub zero - and I do want to use local craftsman for a few key details like mantle, front door... and building on a slab eliminates the need for a complete lower level (which we don't want or need) so that should cut the cost some. Thanks for the research Father John - we are hoping to find the $135-175 range to be true. Good luck with your Garage Sale -

Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM

518 posts, read 1,495,933 times
We did some research and asked questions when we were in Waynesville last month and the going rate in Haywood County is about $185/square foot after taking into account digging a well for water, installing a septic tank and putting in a driveway. I think Waynesville tends to be on the pricey side, though, and the McMansions being put up by the Laurel Ridge crowd might inflate the prices somewhat.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine is building near Greeneville, Tenn., and he's looking at about $135/square foot for a "stick-built" home of approximately 2,000 square feet.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 AM

187 posts, read 670,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Our construction will be part timber frame (gathering room) and the rest stick-built - no sub zero - and I do want to use local craftsman for a few key details like mantle, front door... and building on a slab eliminates the need for a complete lower level (which we don't want or need) so that should cut the cost some. Thanks for the research Father John - we are hoping to find the $135-175 range to be true. Good luck with your Garage Sale -

I work as an architect in the area, and based on the level of customization you are talking about (especially the timber frame) and location, you need to prepare yourself for the high end of that range. $175 to $200 per square foot is more likely where you will end up. Comparisons of cost per square foot is usually like comparing apples to oranges. The builders that do large boxes with low to mid-level finishes on flat ground might be able to reach the $135/sf range, but that isn't what you are building.

The fact that builders are still fairly busy right now isn't helping. Prices have gone up steadily for their services in the past few years. If things continue to slow down, though, their prices will most likely come down a little. I'm already hearing the worry in their voices...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
I work as an architect in the area, and based on the level of customization you are talking about (especially the timber frame) and location, you need to prepare yourself for the high end of that range. $175 to $200 per square foot is more likely where you will end up. Comparisons of cost per square foot is usually like comparing apples to oranges. The builders that do large boxes with low to mid-level finishes on flat ground might be able to reach the $135/sf range, but that isn't what you are building.

The fact that builders are still fairly busy right now isn't helping. Prices have gone up steadily for their services in the past few years. If things continue to slow down, though, their prices will most likely come down a little. I'm already hearing the worry in their voices...
Thanks Vandemusser - I appreciate the input - also - do you see an issue with building just the gathering room in timber frame and stick building the rest (master bedroom/kitchen/utility room) We meet with our architect Thursday when we visit (Yayy!) Madison County again- Hey does anyone know if they voted to allow the sale of beer and wine in Marshall at last night's council meeting??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina