U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
 
425 posts, read 242,859 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

I am interested in living in Asheville but you always hear about all the hippies and ultra left wing and transplants from the north/florida in the area. What is the most conservative (not necessarily religious which seems to be how the word conservative is used on here, although I have no problem with religious people) part of Asheville. I want to say it is around the REI store near the high school south of town and Biltmore? or maybe around other high school kind of southeast of town?

I like liberals as people just the ones who are in your face about about it can be annoying so I would prefer an area of Asheville more similar to people in South Carolina areas like Greenville, Columbia, Charleston.

 
Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 PM
 
425 posts, read 242,859 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
I am interested in living in Asheville but you always hear about all the hippies and ultra left wing and transplants from the north/florida in the area. What is the most conservative (not necessarily religious which seems to be how the word conservative is used on here, although I have no problem with religious people) part of Asheville. I want to say it is around the REI store near the high school south of town and Biltmore? or maybe around other high school kind of southeast of town?

I like liberals as people just the ones who are in your face about about it can be annoying so I would prefer an area of Asheville more similar to people in South Carolina areas like Greenville, Columbia, Charleston.
Are conservatives shunned in Asheville? I fear that I won't have any friends if I move there. I like the mountains but I don't want to be hated by everybody where I live.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Mtns of Waynesville,NC & Nokomis, FL
2,518 posts, read 3,193,294 times
Reputation: 2613
Are you going to wear a sign board that says 'Conservative'? Do you only want to talk to/listen to/see/be seen with people of one's identical frame of mind?

There are 'annoying' people everywhere in the world that I have been to, or lived in...

Couldn't find a 'conservative sections' on any maps of A'ville or G'ville, or...
GL, mD
 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM
 
425 posts, read 242,859 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Are you going to wear a sign board that says 'Conservative'? Do you only want to talk to/listen to/see/be seen with people of one's identical frame of mind?

There are 'annoying' people everywhere in the world that I have been to, or lived in...

Couldn't find a 'conservative sections' on any maps of A'ville or G'ville, or...
GL, mD
I dont' want to be the only conservative dude in ultra leftwing area. there are annoying people everywhere, true but I don't want to live somewhere where I will be hated for having my political beliefs. It happens more than you know, my brother worked in Durham NC and he made mistake of sharing his political views after other people brought up theirs at a company function afterwork and they hated him after that and he ended up taking a job somewhere else to escape it and my brother is not exactly contentious about stuff.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
 
63 posts, read 111,045 times
Reputation: 104
No, you won't be shunned. But you WILL become incredibly annoyed whenever you read the Asheville Citizen-Times and it's non-stop leftist drivel, or when you drive downtown to Pack Square on May Day and see a crowd of young people waving red flags and wearing Che Guevara shirts.....over half of whom couldn't even tell you who he was or remember the simple fact that he was as Anti-American as they come. Or when one of the bums comes walking up to your car at a traffic light downtown to beg money from you.

If you're looking for conservative, the Biltmore area, far east Asheville, or southeast near Fairview tend to lean much more conservative. Most lefties are heavily concentrated downtown, or in western Asheville near the university area.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM
 
425 posts, read 242,859 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
No, you won't be shunned. But you WILL become incredibly annoyed whenever you read the Asheville Citizen-Times and it's non-stop leftist drivel, or when you drive downtown to Pack Square on May Day and see a crowd of young people waving red flags and wearing Che Guevara shirts.....over half of whom couldn't even tell you who he was or remember the simple fact that he was as Anti-American as they come. Or when one of the bums comes walking up to your car at a traffic light downtown to beg money from you.

If you're looking for conservative, the Biltmore area, far east Asheville, or southeast near Fairview tend to lean much more conservative. Most lefties are heavily concentrated downtown, or in western Asheville near the university area.
yeah that is what I thought. I don't care if in your face leftwingers are around, especially in downtown b/c I usually don't go to downtown areas that much. It could actually make for fun conversation if I can link up with like minded conservatives in the burbs. The hobos downtown Asheville are pretty aggressive, you don't have that problem in Greenville or Charleston as far as I know, and maybe a few around USC in Columbia but they tend to be nice and not aggressive.

The Biltmore area probably too expensive for me, which of the far east area and southeast area is more affordable? I have only barely looked at Zillow for housing prices.

what about north Asheville? I thought I saw somewhere there was nice suburbs up there but didn't seem to be much up that way.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Fairview
142 posts, read 119,040 times
Reputation: 242
Hello- a "Lefty" here. First of all, can we all be nice on this thread?

ClemsonTiger45- There are people of every kind in Asheville, just like everywhere else. If you want to hang out with like-minded people, you won't have much of a problem. The most conservative area is South Asheville.

People will be nice to you as long as you're nice to them. The only way you would be "shunned" is if you move to a place and attempt to change it to suite you instead of loving it for what it is.

That being said, Asheville is known for being a liberal place, so I'm a little confused about why you would move here if Liberals annoy you. There are much more conservative enclaves that are still in the mountains and that might better suite you. If you're interested in knowing more about those, the people on this board are a wealth of information about surrounding areas.

Last edited by Susieisanartist; 06-25-2013 at 04:46 PM..
 
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM
 
63 posts, read 111,045 times
Reputation: 104
ClemsonTiger- Look at Fairview to the Southeast, Black Mountain and Swannanoa to the East. Woodfin is to the North. Waynesville is farther to the West, but all of these areas except Waynesville are within 12 miles of Asheville, are decent cities/towns, and would probably be suitable for you.

Susiesanartist- I play nice, but I also play realistic. That said, one's political leanings shouldn't prevent you from coming here because Asheville has so much more to offer than dirty hippies or bible thumpers. Gorgeous mountains, trails, hiking, food, unique beer, etc....... you would agree with this, yes?
 
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Western NC
5,747 posts, read 5,526,006 times
Reputation: 3868
All in all, this area is pretty much live and let live. Cast no aspersions, be open-minded, and assimilate. Discussing politics, or what political beliefs people have is pretty much taboo in polite society. What are your reasons for wanting to be in the mountains rather than the areas you are using to compare political leanings? It may be helpful to do more research and study more about Appalachian heritage and history.

Discussing politics and religion is the best way to make enemies.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Fairview
142 posts, read 119,040 times
Reputation: 242
Blackandgold978- Of course I agree with that. However, I do not agree that generalizing about an entire group of people constitutes realism. I could make less-than-savory generalizations about more conservative people, but that would not be neighborly or bring anything useful to the discussion. People are much more alike than different, whatever our political leanings. We're mostly ordinary people attempting to just get through life the best we know how. HOWEVER, I would think much more than twice about moving to a town known for being very conservative (because I know from experience that I would be much more comfortable in a different environment). Perhaps the OP feels the same about a more liberal town, and perhaps s/he doesn't. Just trying to help the OP out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top